Holy Cross - 9/12/20

TheJanitor6203

First Name
Evan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, 2.0 turbo, auto
I’m going to hit Holy Cross on Saturday by myself in a stock JLUR. Anyone want to join me? I’ve read it’s the hardest of the Colorado badge of honor trails and it’s the only one I haven’t done. I’m confident I can get through it but having company would make me feel better. I’m sure I’ll run into a group on the trail that I can tag along with as I’ve done in the past but thought I’d try this route too.

I’m staying about 4 hours from the trailhead so the plan is to leave here around 5:30 am, drive up and grab an breakfast before hitting the trail. After, I’ll probably head into Vail for a late lunch then drive back home.
Sponsored

D60

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
Well shit I was planning on Pearl/Taylor/Italian Creek but might be interested....I'll look into it more and PM you later

TreyJK

First Name
Trey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL Rubicon, 1979 CJ5, 1979 J20
I know this was 2 years ago, but super curious on how this trip went! I’m gonna be in that area in a week or two but wasn’t sure how my mostly stock JLR would do.

CenTX JPR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 05 TJR 6spd
I would be interested to know how it went also. I think it depends on how far you plan to go on the trail. But right off the bat, the 'gate keeper' obstacle is quite the challenge.

I did it last year. I'm a JLUR, 2.5" JKS, 35's, no armor at that time. I was with two other JLURs, one on 37s, the other on 38's with bead locks and Currie 60s; both had 3.5" lift and armor. Everyone was aired down to 15-18psi. There was some winching and bumping, multiple uses of front/rear lockers, LOTS of spotting, etc. Once we got to the 'boulder field' at the river crossing, the Currie jeep took multiple attempts with lots of pounding down on the diffs and who knows what else. He finally made it across but I tapped out right there.

In my opinion, getting to the river crossing on that trail is more challenging than Black Bear, Poughkeepsie, Poison Spyder, Top of the World, etc.

It was a fun run and I would do it again next summer if anyone plans to and wants a partner. I feel I need to get across the river to call it a complete success.

TreyJK

First Name
Trey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL Rubicon, 1979 CJ5, 1979 J20
I’m up for it next year. I’m in Durango so let me know when you’re thinking and I can probably make it work. I’ll probably have another buddy interested as well and we can make a trip of it. Thanks for the info!