First Name
Karl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Willys in Hellayella
Vehicle Showcase
Hi All,

I attended the Jeep Adventure Academy this weekend at the Hollister Hills SVRA on Saturday. Really great day for beginners! The trails we tackled in the AM were on the edge of most folks' comfort zone, without being too dangerous. The Jamboree team mentioned that they get in a few days early to each venue, and decide on what local runs will test the "trail-rated" vehicles with minimal potential for damage or accident. We did some hill descents that got us up on 3 wheels, and saw the team swing into action, rescuing a Jeeper stuck on a REALLY steep hill at the worst possible angle. Took two Gladiators to get him out. The afternoon was spent on an obstacle course, testing out side hill crawls, rock gardens, some washes. I managed to get up on 2 wheels at one point on the wash. Great spotting advice from the guys as well when we walked the course.
Sponsored

Sponsored

_olllllllo_

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Hellayella JLU Rubicon 6-speed
Very cool. Would love to attend one, but living in Southern Arizona Hollister would be a haul. Plus you need to sign up ASAP when they open. Jeep could hold these every weekend and fill them for months. They should come to AZ as the weather is great this time of year and we have great trails all over the state.

immigrant

First Name
Dariusz
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Renegade Trailhawk '19
We did some hill descents that got us up on 3 wheels, and saw the team swing into action, rescuing a Jeeper stuck on a REALLY steep hill at the worst possible angle. Took two Gladiators to get him out.
Oh. Did it happen to someone from your Adventure group? Or was it someone else, just passing by?

I've been to Adventure Academy on Friday! I think, Jamboree team was surprised with my rig :)

At the end, I spent some time talking to Pearse Umlauf, not knowing that he's CEO of Jeep Jamboree. It was very surprising how open, helpful and engaged, everyone was.

I'm highly recommending this type of training to anyone who is new to jeeping, and is not very familiar with car's possibilities.

OP
OP
KSwilly

KSwilly

First Name
Karl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Oh. Did it happen to someone from your Adventure group? Or was it someone else, just passing by?
It was a passer-by. Guy standing at the top of a hill, holding a winch line. It became a learning lesson for us of what NOT to do. Almost took one of the Gladiators down the hill with him. Needed the second Gladiator to anchor the first, after he dragged the first Gladiator 10 feet towards the edge. Had his winch controller in the BACK, and opened up the tailgate, releasing a flood of camping equipment down the hill. Made for a good segue at the end of lunch to talk about winching and to get a demo of a snatch block in action.

OP
OP
KSwilly

KSwilly

First Name
Karl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Very cool. Would love to attend one, but living in Southern Arizona Hollister would be a haul.
I did get the sense that there are more coming for 2021. These were added in late August to the schedule, and weren't even listed on the "Jamboree" map. I think with everything going on, these smaller Adventure Academies are a very fun and lucrative way to expand what the Jamboree folks do and allow them to get to know more Jeep owners.

Sponsored

OP
OP
KSwilly

KSwilly

First Name
Karl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I've been to Adventure Academy on Friday! I think, Jamboree team was surprised with my rig :)
Just saw your profile - so YOU'RE the one who took a Renegade Trailhawk down the chute! It did come up on Saturday, as we had a few stock Sahara owners that were skeptical whether they could do it. It started a whole discussion of what the Trail Rated badge means and the testing involved. They're taking the 4xE down the Rubicon this week to earn the badge for that.

shadyInCA

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tesla Model S, Toyota MR2 Spyder, Kia Sorrento, Newmar Baystar Sport
So is the idea that you can bring any stock JLU to one of these, or is there a minimum set of options (rock sliders?) that is advisable?

OP
OP
KSwilly

KSwilly

First Name
Karl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
So is the idea that you can bring any stock JLU to one of these, or is there a minimum set of options (rock sliders?) that is advisable?
Anything with a Trail Rated badge. Somebody brought a Trailhawk last Friday! (Not naming names! )

immigrant

First Name
Dariusz
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Renegade Trailhawk '19
Just saw your profile - so YOU'RE the one who took a Renegade Trailhawk down the chute! It did come up on Saturday, as we had a few stock Sahara owners that were skeptical whether they could do it.
Haha. That's so cute :D
I double checked if there is any limit to what you could bring. They specifically mentioned that anything what is "Trail Rated" can do it! So... we did it :)

Basically, my wife and I went several times to Hollister Hiils, and had no issue in Renegade Trailhawk.

In the morning we did obstacle course. Even coaches were a little bit skeptical about Renegade going through some places. But, after first round - all doubts disappeared.
The only thing we didn't tackle, was sandy uphill.

In the afternoon, when we headed towards trail, it occurred to my wife and I, that we took this route in the past. Other way around. Instead of going uphill, we did downhill drive, through those rocks.

BTW. This Jeep Adventure Academy was a present for my wife's birthday :)

The chute was a little bit scary. When we started slipping, I think, hill descend didn't trigger immediately. It forced me to press breaks, because I wanted to avoid being ejected from the hill :D
That was the only issue we had. Minor thing there - there was wire fence, which we accidentally hit, and whole passenger side of car was scratched.

The best part of the whole day: Pearse fist bumped me, congratulating us successful day in Renegade.
When I asked him what he thinks about Renegade performance, he said something like: "Your car was on par with Wranglers".

OP
OP
KSwilly

KSwilly

First Name
Karl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
The best part of the whole day: Pearse fist bumped me, congratulating us successful day in Renegade.
When I asked him what he thinks about Renegade performance, he said something like: "Your car was on par with Wranglers".
That is awesome!
Sponsored