Jeeporama

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon (JLU), 2005 Jeep Liberty
Vehicle Showcase
OK, just a quick reference. See pix if you don't want to remove front floor pan mat drain plugs. You will have a hole that you can see and hear the road.

How you choose to remedy this issue is up to you. Others feel free to post how you tackled this issue. If you pull the plugs in jeep floor so your wet snowy boot drain out. Then you also can get water back into the cab with splashes or water crossing. " I found the plugs for the floor mats that fit perfectly. "

Part number for the 2018 JL Sahara is 821AA 10768 Plugs fit my 2021 Sahara also.

Seems the 10 Commandments illustration on the mats trying to says thou shall not lay mats in with out rubber plugs removed! UGH. Then you see daylight. If you don't remove them then the built in funnel on the mats 3/4 inch hanging down. Forcing you to have the mats lifted up if you don't pull the plugs. This makes it pop of the retention clip to the left of this hole. One more thing, if you do pull the pan plugs. The mats are not a grommet that grabs and seals it a finger in the dike method. and what looks to be a foam spongy gasket that sits there.

What have you guy/gals done plopped it over the carpet, cut your carpet? Glue it in? Or didn't think about it. There are many threads but all are just as confusing.
will post several pictures so you can only seek to find.

Going to be listing both my official jeep floor mats as I found carpet that fits flush and dampens noise keeps in heat. I just push mine to the mall and look at it. never touches that dirty assfault

20201009_102045.jpg

20201011_115309.jpg

20201011_115325.jpg

20201011_115304.jpg
This was my solution:

People liked it so much I made variations:
Jeep Wrangler JL Holes in new floor mats! Revisited..ugh SmartSelect_20200829-152614_Chrome
Sponsored

DaltonGang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sport S, Rubicon Suspension, Tires, and Rims. Firecracker Red
They’re good mats, but what *problem* do they solve?
No need to rely on drain plugs. Keep them in place. Which, when the drain plugs are left alone, and sealed properly, no more leaks. If the Weathertech mats get a lot of water on them, just use an old towel and wipe them dry, it wipes and cleans them in the process. They are the best additions I have made to my JL.

wriver82

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Red JLUR
I just took the mats and cut the bottom protrusion off of both sides, (at the red line on your image) and never punched out the floorpan.

Works fine for me. When the mats fill up with slush and salt, I remove the whole mat and dump it out. I bought an extra set of plugs that I put in the plug holes on the mat, works fine.

Best,
-Tim

Jeep Wrangler JL Holes in new floor mats! Revisited..ugh SmartSelect_20200829-152614_Chrome
This is exactly what I did, works fine.

Sponsored

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 2.0T, 1991 YJ rock crawler
Occupation
I make microchips for a living.
Vehicle Showcase
I am not understanding this thread.

With the all-weather floormats, you remove the pre-cut oval of carpet, remove the drain plug, install the funnel of the floormat into the hole in the floorboard (push hard), then install the drain plug you removed from the floor into the floormat.

Clean. Simple. Easy.

No visible hole outside. No road noise.

Full of water? Pull the plug. Drains outside.

The floormat should be sealing up tight enough to keep water spray out as well as the original plug did. (NB: there were issues with the original run of floormats two-plus years ago). Of course if you're doing a water crossing that deep, you are probably taking on some water anyway. It's not a damn submarine.
What you described is how they "should" work but they don't. No matter how hard you push they never make a full seal against the drain hole in the floor. Others have added a bead of silicon but for me I simply took a hack saw and cut the entire crappy design off the floor mat and then was able to use them with the plug in the the floor.
I was never a fan of them so I eventually got rid of them and went with aftermarket.

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 2.0T, 1991 YJ rock crawler
Occupation
I make microchips for a living.
Vehicle Showcase
What you described is how they "should" work but they don't. No matter how hard you push they never make a full seal against the drain hole in the floor. Others have added a bead of silicon but for me I simply took a hack saw and cut the entire crappy design off the floor mat and then was able to use them with the plug in the the floor.
I was never a fan of them so I eventually got rid of them and went with aftermarket.
EDIT: This is on an early 2018 Rubi. I see you commented on the earlier run years.

KevinD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator
Hmmm...
I wondered what those plugs in the bag were for. I just figured they came out of the floor pan: it didn't even cross my mind to put 'em in the mats!
Anyway, the mats snap into the floor pan, and the plugs fit quite nicely on my Gladiator.

OP
OP
Rusty Teeth

Rusty Teeth

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL Sahara Altitude
Occupation
Electronics Tech/ Fabricator/ 5G Fiber Optic Cellular Tech
This was my solution:

People liked it so much I made variations:
SmartSelect_20200829-152614_Chrome.jpg
I agree, the rubber is a slight wedge design not a grommet that pops in. I'm more confident in closing a happy meal at McDonalds

OP
OP
Rusty Teeth

Rusty Teeth

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL Sahara Altitude
Occupation
Electronics Tech/ Fabricator/ 5G Fiber Optic Cellular Tech
Hmmm...
I wondered what those plugs in the bag were for. I just figured they came out of the floor pan: it didn't even cross my mind to put 'em in the mats!
Anyway, the mats snap into the floor pan, and the plugs fit quite nicely on my Gladiator.
Most don't include them!! Your living right!!

Sponsored

Jteakus

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ecodiesel Unlimited Rubicon
Ok, I think I have this figured out.
The hole in my slush mats goes through a pre-cut hole in my carpet. Below that is a drain plug that is removed and the slush mat funnels liquids out the drain plug hole. I use the plug from the drain to seal the hole in slush mat until I need to drain it. It all works great in theory but in practice it doesn’t.
Correct?

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
I am not understanding this thread.

With the all-weather floormats, you remove the pre-cut oval of carpet, remove the drain plug, install the funnel of the floormat into the hole in the floorboard (push hard), then install the drain plug you removed from the floor into the floormat.

Clean. Simple. Easy.

No visible hole outside. No road noise.

Full of water? Pull the plug. Drains outside.

The floormat should be sealing up tight enough to keep water spray out as well as the original plug did. (NB: there were issues with the original run of floormats two-plus years ago). Of course if you're doing a water crossing that deep, you are probably taking on some water anyway. It's not a damn submarine.
Sea sponge level IQ's in here.

Jteakus

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ecodiesel Unlimited Rubicon
Sorry sir, Jeep is at dealer getting new steering box and I can’t go look at it.
Sea sponge....

Neanderthalman

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Ok, I think I have this figured out.
The hole in my slush mats goes through a pre-cut hole in my carpet. Below that is a drain plug that is removed and the slush mat funnels liquids out the drain plug hole. I use the plug from the drain to seal the hole in slush mat until I need to drain it. It all works great in theory but in practice it doesn’t.
Correct?
Yes

Except that in practice they work quite well. Not just theory. They work.
Sponsored