Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sahara Unlimited
Occupation
Retired
Hey Folks,

A friend of mine and myself (and perhaps another Jeep or two if we can recruit them) plan to include the BOH trail 'Hole in the Rock' when we do UT/CO this summer. I've been watching all the You Tube videos I can find, and reading all the information that I can dig up, but I thought I'd make a post here to see if anyone who has done this trail has any pointers. I've heard there IS cell service out there, but it depends which carrier you're using, and that coverage is not throughout the entire trail system. I've read that some folks take along extra gas, but I've also read that if you top your tanks off at Halls Crossing you should be good to go. We are planning to run the trail in late July. Having been to Moab several times over the years, I'm assuming its gonna be hot out there; at least during the day?

At any rate, thank you in advance for any input y'all might provide..

Randy
Sponsored

wibornz

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Retired from Corrections....I have stories.
I was there back in July of 2020. It was hot, and the trail was closed about 20 miles out.

wibornz

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
The trail had been washed out from flash floods and or rain.
There is plenty of exploring in the area also. I found an oasis in the desert and though that it would be a cool place to camp while out in the Hole in the Rock trail.

Jeep Wrangler JL Hole in the Rock Recommendations 1611509135148

There was water down in there and it was flat. I will go back here and camp.

Jeep Wrangler JL Hole in the Rock Recommendations 1611509260493

Jeep Wrangler JL Hole in the Rock Recommendations 1611509321727

The road, trial just disappeared about a mile or so after this sign.
Jeep Wrangler JL Hole in the Rock Recommendations 1611509387129

Sponsored

OP
OP
Ran4

Ran4

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sahara Unlimited
Occupation
Retired
Thanks for the information, Ted. That 'Oasis' looks cool. We intend to camp out on the trail too.

I hope the trail is restored by the time we get out there. I've seen on some videos that part of that ledge trail gets washed out occasionally. I wonder if that's what happened last year?

wibornz

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Right ..we did Moab last year around the same time. ..and, like you say, it was very hot.
I don't mind the heat. Did Moab in July. Plus the Jeep has air so does it even matter?

OP
OP
Ran4

Ran4

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sahara Unlimited
Occupation
Retired
I don't mind the heat. Did Moab in July. Plus the Jeep has air so does it even matter?
I don't really mind the heat during the day either. I would head out that way in the fall if not for the fact that we're doing Colorado too, and the window of time for avoiding snow in the mountains is relatively narrow...

Sponsored

wibornz

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
I don't really mind the heat during the day either. I would head out that way in the fall if not for the fact that we're doing Colorado too, and the window of time for avoiding snow in the mountains is relatively narrow...
In 2019, wheeled Colorado in the middle of September and it snowed on us. Sept 11, and sept 12. Looked like I was flying the Millennium Falcon at light speed while driving over the pass at Breckenridge. So I understand that if your doing Colorado and Moab on the same trip, you go during the summer. Normally, we boondock camp, while in Moab in July, we stayed at a campground with a pool, nice showers and hooked the AC up in the camper.

OP
OP
Ran4

Ran4

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sahara Unlimited
Occupation
Retired
In 2019, wheeled Colorado in the middle of September and it snowed on us. Sept 11, and sept 12. Looked like I was flying the Millennium Falcon at light speed while driving over the pass at Breckenridge. So I understand that if your doing Colorado and Moab on the same trip, you go during the summer. Normally, we boondock camp, while in Moab in July, we stayed at a campground with a pool, nice showers and hooked the AC up in the camper.
We're definitely camping while in CO, but for the reasons you cite, I booked a small cabin with AC for the Moab part of the trip..

fjernen

First Name
Eran
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUD Rubicon
Occupation
Network Engineer
This is a great adventure. I did the trail in March 2013 in a bone stock 2008 JK limited Rubicon, 68 Ford Bronco on 33s and International Scout on 32s. We did the out and back in 3 days.

First off, HITR is extremely remote. Self rescue/repair is the game. Fuel up at the airport and we had plenty of fuel to explore and be on the trail. I had cell phone coverage with ATT off and on. Trail finding was often an adventure as its not always clear on the rocks.

I am hoping to do it again this fall in my brand new 2021 JLURD on 37s.

This was the hardest obstacle. I won't lie going down the ledge made me pucker a bit but I only scraped on my hitch. Going back up was easy.

Jeep Wrangler JL Hole in the Rock Recommendations IMG_6410.JPG

D60

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
We'll be running Lockhart Basin Oct 16,17,18 if you want something similar....almost as remote and not quite as challenging
Sponsored