Sponsored

Hole in resonator - repair/replace or full exhaust upgrade, and how to prevent in the future?

A Sober Animal

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR Recon
Clubs

I noticed this morning when I remote started my Jeep that it looks like I punctured the resonator this past month while off-roading.
Jeep Wrangler JL Hole in resonator - repair/replace or full exhaust upgrade, and how to prevent in the future? 24E5757D-A879-42C9-A540-7704AB5E2122

(posting from my phone so unable to rotate this, sorry)
Does anyone know the approximate cost to replace just the resonator? Or would it maybe make more sense just at to find a completely new exhaust for some minor HP gains and better sound? If so, any recommendations?

Also, I sure as hell don’t want this happening again - I always thought that the gas tank was supposed to be the most vulnerable below. What skid plates would cover this up so this doesn’t happen in the future?
Sponsored

Last edited:

Category5Bronado

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler
I don’t have my JL anymore but I’m pretty sure mine had the same hole for condensation to drain.

BDinTX

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubicon Recon, 2021 JLU Rubicon
Ya mine has it too.

Sponsored

omnitonic

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Willys in Sarge Green
Occupation
truck driver
Most of my experience with vehicles in the last 20 years has been with Fords, but it seems like these holes are an intentional design feature. It may explain why factory exhausts seem to be lasting longer and longer. I don't have long term experience with Jeep, but the exhaust components look about the same in terms of composition and design. I think these intentional weep holes take the place of the rust holes that would have inevitably developed in vehicles of yore. I further speculate that manufacturers have moved in this direction now that vehicles are too expensive to just buy a new one every couple of years.

OP
OP
A Sober Animal

A Sober Animal

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR Recon
Clubs

Well this is just fantastic news, thanks everyone.
Sponsored