Sponsored

Hoist system that allows top to be tight to finished ceiling? (ended up not so tight to ceiling!)

There’sOnlyOne

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
@J2K66 Nicely done!

I'm actually going through this exact same setup at my place and was wondering if you by chance had dimensions of the lumber for the H and possibly the screws sizes you used?

Thanks.
I’m doing what OP did but using the Topsy hoist plans utilizing SuperStrut 14g, 10ft piece. I did tweak the Topsy plans and the Lowe’s numbers they have are invalid now but actual items are the same. Longer bolts, lock washers, extra washers and doubled T-plays. Looks like he did the same but with 2x. Which I considered but like the extra strength of metal. Except for pulleys, which I purchased from Lowe’s, everything else is from HD. If you cut it to the Topsy specs you use the entire piece, end up with 3 sections. I used 1/2” x 2” bolts though and 4 T-plates. All from HD. The “H” with single T-plate would wiggle so I added the second one and it’s now tight. The T-plates at HD are magnetic and cost the same as non magnetic from Lowe’s or Amazon. The 2” bolts will go through both T-plates and strut with no extra bolt sticking past the nuts. That’s help to reduce any scratching. Also HD had the plastic end caps for the strut. That will also reduce chances of scratching. And I hand filed the cuts all smooth. Note….if you can’t put a 10’ section in your vehicle you can bring a sawsall and cut it in parking lot to haul home, I did. Hopefully the pics post. All the “alpha’s” on the hardware are HD markings so you’ll know what to find/buy. Hope this helps anyone trying to make a lift/hoist. I did purchase the 880 hoist from HF only because it was on sale for less and I had a 25% off coupon making it like $80 at the time. I’m sure all this is over kill but I tend to over build most of what I make.

B9AAB14C-01E6-42B3-85B2-F4765FEFDFEC.png
BFAA0996-767F-4E8D-B160-F723B0EC32D2.jpeg
AD506DB1-603F-4428-9CEA-788A94CFDF04.jpeg
5B3D09F1-3E98-423A-BCF0-D561652BBA9E.jpeg
CBD4FD50-5089-46A4-9135-64596237434F.jpeg
4297AA8A-25D0-4C84-AD87-81DECA0B810A.jpeg
DF6CA9F5-A003-4973-B954-D2CFEE2EAECD.png
277D796D-DE8E-42D0-993D-C13F9229F298.jpeg
C21CAD7B-1597-45DC-A09D-41A681B48538.jpeg
B1DAE557-B0BC-43F6-B4CF-CBCCEAFA7D3E.jpeg
Sponsored

X-SoLjA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
I’m doing what OP did but using the Topsy hoist plans utilizing SuperStrut 14g, 10ft piece. I did tweak the Topsy plans and the Lowe’s numbers they have are invalid now but actual items are the same. Longer bolts, lock washers, extra washers and doubled T-plays. Looks like he did the same but with 2x. Which I considered but like the extra strength of metal. Except for pulleys, which I purchased from Lowe’s, everything else is from HD. If you cut it to the Topsy specs you use the entire piece, end up with 3 sections. I used 1/2” x 2” bolts though and 4 T-plates. All from HD. The “H” with single T-plate would wiggle so I added the second one and it’s now tight. The T-plates at HD are magnetic and cost the same as non magnetic from Lowe’s or Amazon. The 2” bolts will go through both T-plates and strut with no extra bolt sticking past the nuts. That’s help to reduce any scratching. Also HD had the plastic end caps for the strut. That will also reduce chances of scratching. And I hand filed the cuts all smooth. Note….if you can’t put a 10’ section in your vehicle you can bring a sawsall and cut it in parking lot to haul home, I did. Hopefully the pics post. All the “alpha’s” on the hardware are HD markings so you’ll know what to find/buy. Hope this helps anyone trying to make a lift/hoist. I did purchase the 880 hoist from HF only because it was on sale for less and I had a 25% off coupon making it like $80 at the time. I’m sure all this is over kill but I tend to over build most of what I make.

Jeep Wrangler JL Hoist system that allows top to be tight to finished ceiling? (ended up not so tight to ceiling!) B1DAE557-B0BC-43F6-B4CF-CBCCEAFA7D3E
Jeep Wrangler JL Hoist system that allows top to be tight to finished ceiling? (ended up not so tight to ceiling!) B1DAE557-B0BC-43F6-B4CF-CBCCEAFA7D3E
Really appreciate the additional info you provided, as well as the additional build instructions. I'm doing as you did and went the extra mile to purchase and reinforce with the extra T's. The 1 thing I've changed is, rather than have a pulley on this H frame, do as the OP did with an Eye Bolt sticking out and just secure from the hoist lowered from ceiling pulley bracket.

Now, has anyone ever been worried regarding the Topsy Brackets at all? I'm in no way trying to knock the company/manufacturer, it just still worries me about lifting from a point where there could always be the potential for strain, especially where theres glass attached...

There’sOnlyOne

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
The winch has threaded inserts in it that are designed to mount to the hanging brackets included. I grabbed some longer bolts with the same thread pitch/diameter and through bolted the winch to the 2x6 and then attached the 2x6 to the wall.
J2K66…what pulley did you use between those L-brackets? Something on hand or store bought if so where? Thanks.

STW

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLR 2door 2.0T Rubicon stingrey
I am using the Harken Hoister system. Took me a few times to get the knots in the right place and small enough that my top is as near to the ceiling as possible. I haven't measured from the joists down. I have a stock JLUR and can drive under the hard top with the soft top on. Next time I have the hard top off I will measure.
I use one of these Harken Hoister systems for my RoofTopTent and if you set it up carefully, it would let you press the hardtop against the ceiling for maximum clearance.

OP
OP
J2K66

J2K66

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLURXR
J2K66…what pulley did you use between those L-brackets? Something on hand or store bought if so where? Thanks.
I used the pulley that came with the hoist, just pulled the pin and hook from it and put a bolt through it!

Sponsored

X-SoLjA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wondering if anyone is using the Topsy Straps on the DIY plans? If so, how are you attaching the front long strap to it? Their instructions display the back clips, but nothing about the front…

X-SoLjA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wondering if anyone is using the Topsy Straps on the DIY plans? If so, how are you attaching the front long strap to it? Their instructions display the back clips, but nothing about the front…
Never mind :facepalm: "pull the long strap under the front of the hardtop and hook it to an open hole on the front bar."

Nitehawk92

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 JLU Reign Rubicon 14 Mazda, 22 Hyundia Santa Fe
I coolest hoist setup I have seen was a guy who installed the hoist in the attic, and had 4 holes in the garage ceiling. Each hole had PVC installed. The cables ran down from the attic hoist through the PVC and down to the garage. Hook the cable up to the 4 lift points on the top and the lift pulled the top to flush against the garage ceiling. My engineering skills are not that good, but it was really cool...
Sponsored