Sponsored

Hoist system that allows top to be tight to finished ceiling? (ended up not so tight to ceiling!)

J2K66

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLURXR
I've got a relatively tall ceilings 9'9" (117"), but I'd still like to tuck it up as close to the ceiling as possible. Ideally, it would hang above the garage door... but I only have 30" of clearance above the track, so I'm not sure I can make that work. I also have a finished ceiling, and would prefer to not open it up to mount the hoist above if I don't have to.

Does anyone have a mounting solution where the bottom of the hard top is less than 30" from the ceiling?
Sponsored

lashlee

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLUR 2.0 Turbo 4 (Wife's), Tesla M3P (mine)
I don't remember what the measurements I took of the top but I use one of the Garage Smart lifts. It gets close enough to the ceiling that I can walk under the top while up (I'm 6'). The app lets you bump it closer and set a raised and lowered height as presets. I positioned mine so that it's just clear of the garage door when opened because of the overhead storage racks that are mounted in my garage. The hoist gets the top up high enough that I can park the Jeep under it (3.5" lift with 37's).

bjm00se

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR 6sp ordered 11/3/21, picked up 8/30/22
How high is the hard top itself bottom-to-top?

JSFoster75

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR (Mojito), 2022 JLR (Tuscadero)
Vehicle Showcase
I've got a relatively tall ceilings 9'9" (117"), but I'd still like to tuck it up as close to the ceiling as possible. Ideally, it would hang above the garage door... but I only have 30" of clearance above the track, so I'm not sure I can make that work. I also have a finished ceiling, and would prefer to not open it up to mount the hoist above if I don't have to.

Does anyone have a mounting solution where the bottom of the hard top is less than 30" from the ceiling?
You can use a regular hoist, but attach it to 2x4's that run under the top. It's a little more of a pain to do it that way, but will achieve what you are wanting.

Murphydog

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 X3M, 2023 JLUR XR
Clubs

I am using the Harken Hoister system. Took me a few times to get the knots in the right place and small enough that my top is as near to the ceiling as possible. I haven't measured from the joists down. I have a stock JLUR and can drive under the hard top with the soft top on. Next time I have the hard top off I will measure.

Sponsored

OP
OP
J2K66

J2K66

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLURXR
I've abandoned the idea of trying to tuck it up over the garage door when it's open... just too close to try and get it to work.

I'm still trying to create a final plan, but I've purchased the 220/440 lb hoist from Harbor Freight and Topsy brackets. I'm still trying to decide on the material to build an "H" out of. Has anyone ever tried just using 2x2 lumber? If I through bolt everything, I would think that it would remain plenty strong. I could also use square steel tube or strut, but I don't have access to a welder.

I'm also trying to decide if I want to mount the hoist to the ceiling or to the wall and then mount a pulley to the ceiling. Benefits of mounting a pulley to the ceiling would be that it should raise up a few inches higher, and the controller would hang down next to the wall vs. in the middle of the garage. Mounting the hoist directly to the ceiling (on a 2x6 attached to 3-4 joists) would keep it simple.

OP
OP
J2K66

J2K66

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLURXR
I made a small amount of progress this weekend, mounted the hoist to the wall and added a 2x6 to the ceiling that spans 4 joists. I also installed the rear Topsy brackets to the window hinges.

I think I'm going to try and build the H frame out of 2x2 lumber, since I have it on hand and can glue/screw it together easily. I need to find a good ceiling mount pulley, or make something that will work well.

Jeep Wrangler JL Hoist system that allows top to be tight to finished ceiling? (ended up not so tight to ceiling!) IMG_2676

Last edited:
OP
OP
J2K66

J2K66

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLURXR
Finished it up, at least for now.

I ended up building the H frame out of lumber, 2x2's and a 2x4 in the center. I through bolted some eye bolts by countersinking some 4 prong t-nuts. I then put a coat of black spray paint on the H and used some weatherstripping tape along the bottom to prevent scratching of the top.

I decided to also mount 4 eye bolts to the ceiling, which I also through bolted to 2x6's and then attached those to the ceiling rafters. This will allow me to use the hoist to lift, and then connect some chains to the 4 eye bolts so that the top is held from 4 points instead of 1.

I used the Topsy brackets in the rear, and a strap from Harbor Freight in the front.

Jeep Wrangler JL Hoist system that allows top to be tight to finished ceiling? (ended up not so tight to ceiling!) IMG_2686

Jeep Wrangler JL Hoist system that allows top to be tight to finished ceiling? (ended up not so tight to ceiling!) IMG_2689

Jeep Wrangler JL Hoist system that allows top to be tight to finished ceiling? (ended up not so tight to ceiling!) IMG_2690

Jeep Wrangler JL Hoist system that allows top to be tight to finished ceiling? (ended up not so tight to ceiling!) IMG_2699

Jeep Wrangler JL Hoist system that allows top to be tight to finished ceiling? (ended up not so tight to ceiling!) IMG_2698

Murphydog

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 X3M, 2023 JLUR XR
Clubs

Nicely done. Finally got nice here. This is how tight I can get mine. The limiting factor is the garage door opener. My top is forward about 2 feet because of the shelf suspended from the ceiling

Jeep Wrangler JL Hoist system that allows top to be tight to finished ceiling? (ended up not so tight to ceiling!) E39A017C-815F-4694-A18B-8136BEBB3684
Jeep Wrangler JL Hoist system that allows top to be tight to finished ceiling? (ended up not so tight to ceiling!) 3FA77972-27EA-4117-BAF6-C0E6815A9C5E
Jeep Wrangler JL Hoist system that allows top to be tight to finished ceiling? (ended up not so tight to ceiling!) ECB36B30-ADFB-4D45-911C-F688E4B12FB5

Last edited:

X-SoLjA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
@J2K66 Nicely done!

I'm actually going through this exact same setup at my place and was wondering if you by chance had dimensions of the lumber for the H and possibly the screws sizes you used?

Thanks.

Sponsored

OP
OP
J2K66

J2K66

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLURXR
I'd have to measure what I ended up with exactly, because I tweaked it a bit as I went along, but I started with Topsy's specs. Front at 46" (I believe mine is closer to 50"), rear bar at 38" (I believe mine is 42") and center bar at 36" (mine is the same, 36").

Screws were all construction screws that I had in the shop, let me see if I can grab sizes and post those too.

X-SoLjA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I'd have to measure what I ended up with exactly, because I tweaked it a bit as I went along, but I started with Topsy's specs. Front at 46" (I believe mine is closer to 50"), rear bar at 38" (I believe mine is 42") and center bar at 36" (mine is the same, 36").

Screws were all construction screws that I had in the shop, let me see if I can grab sizes and post those too.
That would be great. Thanks!
Did you just use regular constructions screws to mount the winch to the wall as well at that 2x6 it’s on to the studs? Or lag bolts?

OP
OP
J2K66

J2K66

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLURXR
The winch has threaded inserts in it that are designed to mount to the hanging brackets included. I grabbed some longer bolts with the same thread pitch/diameter and through bolted the winch to the 2x6 and then attached the 2x6 to the wall.

Really?AJeep?

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Fusion, '97 F-150, '07 Cummins, '22 JLR
FYI Topsy will send you a PDF of a do it yourself H made of unistrut, nuts & bolts. I sourced materials from Menard's to build mine for about $50 and its a few cuts on the chop saw and then bolting it all together, easy.

X-SoLjA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FYI Topsy will send you a PDF of a do it yourself H made of unistrut, nuts & bolts. I sourced materials from Menard's to build mine for about $50 and its a few cuts on the chop saw and then bolting it all together, easy.
Yeah I've got the pdf of that and the price list. I'm pricing everything out and seeing what makes the most sense. Over here in Canada prices are pretty crazy for this stuff right now.
Sponsored