Sponsored

Hoist recommendations? Top Lift, Lange original and Rollnjack

MtnBiker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon
Considering buying a hardtop hoist for my 2018 JL Wrangler.
Undecided between Top Lift, Lange original and Rollnjack.
Any recommendations as to best one?
Sponsored

rcadden

First Name
Ricky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Hydro Blue Sahara Altitude
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Marketing
Clubs

Depends if you want it hanging from your ceiling or on a moveable cart.

And what your budget is.

The carts are nice and universally praised, but I have neither the space nor funds for those, so I went with a ceiling hoist system. Built it myself for ~$40.

Sponsored

cOtter

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘20 Sahara 2.0L Ocean Blue Metallic, Toyota Highlander & Pontiac G6 coupe
Occupation
Senior Manager PM (Automotive OEM)
It’s easy….

From start to finish by myself: (20 min)
• Remove 4 doors (I never attach the Door Check or hinge bolts)
• Remove freedom panels
• Remove 8 bolts for Hard Top
• Remove Hard Top
• Put on Side Mirrors and Foot pegs.

TEAMSLO

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 JLURD
If you're thinking of installing a cargo shelf of any type, avoid the topliftpros. The TLP setup is nice and mobile and I have a new one, but hadn't fully thought out my situation and now have a $700 cradle that I cannot use unless I uninstall the shelf.

My shelf has a mount for the onboard compressor so it's not moving.

Bill_P

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2023 JLUWSXR
Occupation
Can't tell you..shhh
I made my own with an electric hoist from Harbor Freight, a couple of 2 x 4's, and two 10 ft straps. All in I think I spent about $130.

offrampclimber

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL Rubicon
Well, I just ordered a RollnJack for myself, so we'll see how well it operates. I like that it is really just a jack. Easy assembly, and I can use it solo to lift the hardtop off of my Jeep. I don't plan on leaving the top resting on this device for the entire summer, however. It has enough clearance underneath that I can then place the hardtop safely on a scaffold I currently use as a shelf for it.

Since getting the 2-door, I usually enlist my neighbor to help me lift and move the top on to the scaffold, but he always seems to get a minor scrape or bruise during the process, and we've put some scratches on the Jeep as well. This will hopefully reduce any reliance I need on a 2nd person to help.

I hadn't heard of the RollnJack until I saw this post, and it looks to be the most stable. The ratchet/handbrake system on the Top Lift Pro seems problematic to me, and I don't like the idea of my hardtop swinging and swaying around on some straps like on the Lange. Same reason I don't feel comfortable with a ceiling hoist.

Hpc3

First Name
Hal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler(s)
Well, I just ordered a RollnJack for myself, so we'll see how well it operates. I like that it is really just a jack. Easy assembly, and I can use it solo to lift the hardtop off of my Jeep. I don't plan on leaving the top resting on this device for the entire summer, however. It has enough clearance underneath that I can then place the hardtop safely on a scaffold I currently use as a shelf for it.

Since getting the 2-door, I usually enlist my neighbor to help me lift and move the top on to the scaffold, but he always seems to get a minor scrape or bruise during the process, and we've put some scratches on the Jeep as well. This will hopefully reduce any reliance I need on a 2nd person to help.

I hadn't heard of the RollnJack until I saw this post, and it looks to be the most stable. The ratchet/handbrake system on the Top Lift Pro seems problematic to me, and I don't like the idea of my hardtop swinging and swaying around on some straps like on the Lange. Same reason I don't feel comfortable with a ceiling hoist.
I've had a RinJ for a year or so. I initially liked that you can break it down for transport/storage but it needs to be updated to make it more sturdy, have sent this feedback to them. The round poles/construction design allow for movement at all the joints no matter how tight you bolt it together so you can twist the top 15deg or so horizontally from the wheel base/post axis and maybe 10deg rotation across the top left to right. It needs location pins or something to get rid of the assembly slop. It would not be nearly as problematic if it used square tubing. Like everything there are compromises... still here. Good idea implemented poorly. I can do both jeeps by myself with it though. YMMV.

Sponsored

offrampclimber

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL Rubicon
I've had a RinJ for a year or so. I initially liked that you can break it down for transport/storage but it needs to be updated to make it more sturdy, have sent this feedback to them. The round poles/construction design allow for movement at all the joints no matter how tight you bolt it together so you can twist the top 15deg or so horizontally from the wheel base/post axis and maybe 10deg rotation across the top left to right. It needs location pins or something to get rid of the assembly slop. It would not be nearly as problematic if it used square tubing. Like everything there are compromises... still here. Good idea implemented poorly. I can do both jeeps by myself with it though. YMMV.
Hmmm, good to know about the stability. Thanks for the tip.

I also didn't initially like that the rear window needs to stay up if you intend to use the jack for storage too. That would necessitate a bigger footprint.

But neither of these should be big concerns for me since I'll be using the scaffold for long-term storage. The top stays off for about 6 months; I put on a TrekTop for the warm months.

72Blazer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
72BlazerCrawler 72Blazer12V 88SBDuramax 18JLUR
Occupation
SLP
Another vote for budget that works. 4 eyelet bolts, 3 ratchet straps, Topsy brackets. Swapped over from my previous JL build. This time around threw out the Torx bolts in favor of some winged bolts. Took me 12 minutes to remove the top and freedom panels last time around. I’m able to remove and re install on my own.

Hpc3

First Name
Hal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler(s)
Hmmm, good to know about the stability. Thanks for the tip.

I also didn't initially like that the rear window needs to stay up if you intend to use the jack for storage too. That would necessitate a bigger footprint.

But neither of these should be big concerns for me since I'll be using the scaffold for long-term storage. The top stays off for about 6 months; I put on a TrekTop for the warm months.
Yep the window can't close while on the lift... not much of an issue here but it would be nice to lower it for storage while on the lift.

PntBlnk

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler HA 4xe
Can you lower the rear window on the TopLift Pro? I am running a sunrider so will take a bit more time to uninstall before removing the roof….hadn’t thought through that one!

btw - just picked up a TLP off of FB and will be listing everything needed for a ceiling hoist set up in the near future. Located in middle TN for pick up.

Santana74

First Name
Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Wrangler Sahara Altitude 3.0l, 18 Jaguar F-Pace
I built a hoist system to remove my top. Cost around $150 for 2x4s, winch, aircraft cable, straps, 6 pulleys, and 5 eyebolts. Works extremely well.
Sponsored