Sponsored

Hoist "frame" or single point mount?

TrailJoy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUS, HellaYella
I wasn't sure where to put this, so mods please move it to the appropriate forum.

We bought a scaffold (with wheels) hard top storage, but I need some assistance in making a hoist for single person removal.

The scaffold (on wheels) is parked in our carport (no garage) and will be (eventually) stored in a shed. The ceiling of our carport is 12' high and has no visible wood (it has some sort of aluminum sheeting, so I can't see where the beams are behind it). We would like to build a cam strap style hoist system to lift the top up a few inches (or enough to drive the jeep out from under it) then move the scaffold under the top and lower it back down (placing the scaffold, now with the hard top, securely back in the shed).

The problem is that our carport is really tall and we're not sure how we're going to get up there, and once we do we're not sure how to find the centre of the beams (for security). The front of our carport however has a large wooden beam that runs directly, with a visible "gap" where we could run some straps right up and over. The problem with this of course is we would now have two hanging points instead of four.

Being that it only needs to hang for long enough to drive the Jeep out from under it is good (no long term hanging storage), but I'm not really sure how to hang it securely on two points. Remember though that it only needs to hang for a few minutes...

Does anyone have any ideas? My other option is to build something like this, but being as we just bought the scaffold and have to build a shed around it, I don't want to have to build a third thing. That said I wish I saw this before buying the scaffold... (image borrowed from google)

frame hoist.jpg
Sponsored

OP
OP
TrailJoy

TrailJoy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUS, HellaYella
PS. I also came across this (also borrowed from google images) but this freaks me out even more than our sketchy ceiling!

swing.jpg

OP
OP
TrailJoy

TrailJoy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUS, HellaYella

This? Has anyone tried this? I could easily rig something like this to that beam... I mean it can be done. Knowing how to do (with confidence) it is the other problem. LOL

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer
That tree and rig looks pretty marginal.

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired Engineer
I wasn't sure where to put this, so mods please move it to the appropriate forum.

We bought a scaffold (with wheels) hard top storage, but I need some assistance in making a hoist for single person removal.

The scaffold (on wheels) is parked in our carport (no garage) and will be (eventually) stored in a shed. The ceiling of our carport is 12' high and has no visible wood (it has some sort of aluminum sheeting, so I can't see where the beams are behind it). We would like to build a cam strap style hoist system to lift the top up a few inches (or enough to drive the jeep out from under it) then move the scaffold under the top and lower it back down (placing the scaffold, now with the hard top, securely back in the shed).

The problem is that our carport is really tall and we're not sure how we're going to get up there, and once we do we're not sure how to find the centre of the beams (for security). The front of our carport however has a large wooden beam that runs directly, with a visible "gap" where we could run some straps right up and over. The problem with this of course is we would now have two hanging points instead of four.

Being that it only needs to hang for long enough to drive the Jeep out from under it is good (no long term hanging storage), but I'm not really sure how to hang it securely on two points. Remember though that it only needs to hang for a few minutes...

Does anyone have any ideas? My other option is to build something like this, but being as we just bought the scaffold and have to build a shed around it, I don't want to have to build a third thing. That said I wish I saw this before buying the scaffold... (image borrowed from google)

frame hoist.jpg

What, exactly, did you buy? Pix?

Sponsored

OP
OP
TrailJoy

TrailJoy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUS, HellaYella
That tree and rig looks pretty marginal.
Right? I was holding my breath a bit in that one. lol

I would make it a lot stronger, but essentially that's what I have to work with (one BIG beam that runs across the carport). So in theory, the design could be the same. My only concern is finding the balance, or securing it in a way where I don't have to. Lift off (without help), drop down. Is this a bad idea? My other option is to play a guessing game called "Where's the centre of the beam". And that's if I can get 12' up to actually drill the hole...

Myka L

First Name
Myka
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
frame hoist.jpg

I'm looking to build this, do you have a video or plans for this somewhere? Although, probably can do it on my own.

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Oh, you can see the beam at the front of the carport. If I could find a way to safely use it as a hoist...

93289148_10156887289461363_895120293142462464_n.jpg

93289192_10156887289626363_1246417573931646976_n.jpg
To attach to that beam, ideally, you want a u-shaped saddle that has holes going thru the beam and bolts and nuts clamping. But, if you only have access to one side of the beam, you could put and single flat steel plate with at least two, 3/8" dia, lag bolts, into the one side with a tang hanging below the beam to hook your winch. You could also flat side mount the winch inside. You might want to look into Harbor Freight (chinese) 110v winches. They make some small ones that are ideal for this stuff. I would avoid just drilling up and put a wood screw threaded eye-bolt in there.

Sponsored

OP
OP
TrailJoy

TrailJoy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUS, HellaYella
frame hoist.jpg

I'm looking to build this, do you have a video or plans for this somewhere? Although, probably can do it on my own.
No, sorry. I just saved it from google. Couldn't find plans, but it looks pretty straight forward.

To attach to that beam, ideally, you want a u-shaped saddle that has holes going thru the beam and bolts and nuts clamping.

I would avoid just drilling up and put a wood screw threaded eye-bolt in there.
A U shaped saddle! YES! I guess we'll start there, and figure the rest out later That T bar thing looks fairly straight forward, but it's the balance point that throws me. I'm not really sure how to connect it with only the two side points (instead of two in the front and two in the back) and maintain a balance so the top doesn't tip and fall (slide off) or spin uncontrollably in circles... I'm a visual learner, which doesn't bode well for this specific situation. lol

Wapiti

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
At one of my old places with a sketchy garage I built a wood gantry crane set up out of 4x4s and 2x6s. I put it on casters to give it some mobility, and used a boat winch to pick off a T-jig that has now served me through 2 JKUs in 3 garages. Hopefully it will work with my JLU- we shall see as soon as the weather gets better. The T-jig is built out of channel strut, so you can adjust the pick point (an eye bolt with the special channel strut hardware) to fit the COG. Anyways, the wood gantry crane set up wasn't too tough to build- it was similar to what's shown with the yellow TJ but more robust (single pillar). I'm not especially handy, so without even meeting you I would say you have a great chance of being able to make it happen. Another thought if you really want to use the beam- instead of a u- shaped saddle, how about some barn door track, a pair of roller thingies, and an electric harbor freight hoist? It's what I now use in my garage- I pull the top off, then slide the whole deal over and lower the top onto a pair of suspended 2x4s. Pretty slick, if I do say so myself.

OP
OP
TrailJoy

TrailJoy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUS, HellaYella
Another thought if you really want to use the beam- instead of a u- shaped saddle, how about some barn door track, a pair of roller thingies, and an electric harbor freight hoist? It's what I now use in my garage- I pull the top off, then slide the whole deal over and lower the top onto a pair of suspended 2x4s. Pretty slick, if I do say so myself.
I really like this idea. Thanks! We're drafting out a few ideas right now. We need to decide on how many "roller thingies" we want as well. LOL
Sponsored