Sponsored

Hockey Puck Bump Stop Install (Front)

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
Lots of folks suggest using hockey pucks for bump stops. Never found a thread on the site w/ the details, it's simple enough but thought it may help those that haven't done this or considered pucks for bump stops.
Thanks to @Roky for suggesting bolting them on, there's others that have used adhesive to hold them to the pads w/ success, but having them bolted on takes away the chance that they may pop off (and probably at the worst possible time)
I wanted a flush mount so I used a spade bit, 3/8 drill bit, tapered boat washers (had some left over after my skid plate project), M10x1.50 thread 2" flat head hex bolts, flange nuts. I highly recommend using flange nuts, makes it much easier to have them setting in the box end wrench while you get it initially threaded. You could also use regular hex bolts w/ flat washers & flange nuts.
Jeep Wrangler JL Hockey Puck Bump Stop Install (Front) IMG_0807.JPG

Jeep Wrangler JL Hockey Puck Bump Stop Install (Front) IMG_0808.JPG

Just clamp the puck and drill the spade bit down the height of the washer. If you use hex bolts just drill down to the height of the bolt head and flat washer you'd use instead of what I did. Drill through the puck w/ a 3/8" bit. Put some blue loctite on the bolt threads. I needed a 1 1/4" spade bit but didn't have it so I used a hole saw first, then this smaller 1 1/8" spade bit to get most of the "guts out" of the center, lol.

Jeep Wrangler JL Hockey Puck Bump Stop Install (Front) IMG_0804.JPG

Jeep Wrangler JL Hockey Puck Bump Stop Install (Front) IMG_0806.JPG

Jack up one side at a time at the rear mount of the front control arm to decompress the spring enough to slip the puck in there and also room for a socket ratchet. The driver side is easy to get access under the pad to tighten the puck up, the passenger side has a wire/hose bracket that should be unbolted and moved aside to allow more room. You may want to remove the passenger lower shock bolt to allow more room. I didn't remove the shock and got it tightened up ok, but was pretty tight in there.

Jeep Wrangler JL Hockey Puck Bump Stop Install (Front) IMG_0809.JPG

Jeep Wrangler JL Hockey Puck Bump Stop Install (Front) IMG_0812.JPG

I highly recommend a flex head ratcheting box end wrench, this combined w/ the flange nut makes it easier to get that nut threaded. Remember to use that blue loctite on the bolt threads!!!
Jeep Wrangler JL Hockey Puck Bump Stop Install (Front) IMG_0815.JPG

Haven't had any contact w/ my inner rear fenders, probably because I don't disconnect the rear sway links, so I won't add the rear stops at this point. I will be running 35s soon so hopefully the 1" pucks will be enough (I had very light scuffing on my front fender liners from my last wheeling trip). If I need more stop I have an electric turkey knife that I use for cutting foam so that should work ok for cutting a puck in half for an additional 1/2" stop if needed. If I need more than that I would need longer bolts (probably a 2 1/2").

Jeep Wrangler JL Hockey Puck Bump Stop Install (Front) IMG_0797.JPG

Jeep Wrangler JL Hockey Puck Bump Stop Install (Front) IMG_0799.JPG
Sponsored

Last edited:

jaymz

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon Unlimited
That works, but a lot of unnecessary fuss. The appropriate length bolt with a fender washer and a nylon lock nut is all you need. The stock bump stop won’t care about contact with the bolt head, and the lock nut will allow you to snug the pucks without squeezing them excessively and will never back off.

OP
OP
blnewt

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
That works, but a lot of unnecessary fuss. The appropriate length bolt with a fender washer and a nylon lock nut is all you need. The stock bump stop won’t care about contact with the bolt head, and the lock nut will allow you to snug the pucks without squeezing them excessively and will never back off.
Took me all of 10 minutes, guess fuss is relative :)

BDinTX

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubicon Recon, 2021 JLU Rubicon
@blnewt
Hey Brad, I'm thinking I might go this route myself. Have you noticed any issues with alignment between your upper bump stop and this pad? Also, is it safe to assume the pad the puck is sitting already has a threaded hole for your M10x1.50 bolt?
Thanks!
-Brad

Sponsored

GATORB8

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLURe
@blnewt
Hey Brad, I'm thinking I might go this route myself. Have you noticed any issues with alignment between your upper bump stop and this pad? Also, is it safe to assume the pad the puck is sitting already has a threaded hole for your M10x1.50 bolt?
Thanks!
-Brad
There's already a hole in it, but it's not threaded. You'll need to fish a nut onto it "inside" the pad. The hole centers it up pretty good. I'm running a 3" stack of pucks on mine, and they align as well as you can center the hole you drill.

Jeep Wrangler JL Hockey Puck Bump Stop Install (Front) 1653490158265

OP
OP
blnewt

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
@blnewt
Thanks!
-Brad
Alignment w/ the jounce bumper and the hockey puck is centered up. There's a hole in the flat section but it's not threaded, I just used a flange nut w/ some loctite blue.

morlan52

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLURD
Occupation
SCADA Engineer

Sponsored

OP
OP
blnewt

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
OP
OP
blnewt

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Now running 2 pucks in front and 1.5" in back (rears are cut from thick rubber stockyard mats) w/ my new 315/70.17s and 2"/1.5" teraflex spacer kit

Dlit

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon JL Recon
Clubs

Gotta ask what happens when it gets very cold…anyone who has played hockey has seen a puck break.

Roky

First Name
Roky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Now running 2 pucks in front and 1.5" in back (rears are cut from thick rubber stockyard mats) w/ my new 315/70.17s and 2"/1.5" teraflex spacer kit
Yeah, sure you are…..🧐 ……..🤣

limeade

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
I've used pucks on my TJ and they work well. I had a puck split one time during the winter when I was rock crawling. Something to be aware of as they may not last as long as other bump stops.
Sponsored