Hitch Mount Cargo Carriers

Xsspd

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Sport S
The cheap Reese one from Autozone. Worked fine.
Sponsored

Jocko

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hydro Blue 4xe Rubicon
I have a MaxxHaul 70422 that I got from Amazon. It's low profile and pretty light because a lot of it is aluminum. I've actually been very happy with it as a product. The 70422 is the 48" model. They do have a 50138 model which is 60" and just under $100.

One thing to keep in mind with that 60" is that you're going to be very limited to what you can put on the driver's side without blocking the license plate. So if you haven't relocated your plate, you might want to think about the 48"?

There is one other thing I want to call out. As much as I like this particular rack, I'm considering switching away from hitch racks in general. Which is funny because the whole reason I got the hitch rack was because I specifically didn't want a roof rack. Here's the issue: because hitch racks extend out from the back of the Jeep, the effect of the weight that you put on it is multiplied in the same way that a lever multiplies force. With my stock Rubicon suspension, this actually causes the rear to dip down a bit with not that much weight loaded on the rack. This has never caused a problem with the ride quality or operation of the Jeep. But what it DOES do is cause the headlights to point up quite a bit higher than normal. If you have the LED lights, it creates a pretty blinding situation for everyone else.

It's super handy to have, but I felt so bad about inadvertently blinding people for hours while driving home from a camping trip that I don't think I ever want to take it on a trip again.

SactoRubicon

First Name
Damon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon
I use this one and it clears.
https://www.harborfreight.com/500-lb-capacity-deluxe-cargo-carrier-66983.html

I think anyone without that gooseneck part will be fine.
This is just what I wanted at a great price $63 at Harbor Freight. After doing research, it is identical to the Maxx Haul 70107. It is a straight tow bar, so before loading the gate clears the rack. It does partially obscure the license plate, but if loading the rack with a bike or collapsed dog travel cage (or don't load the left several inches-the rack is up to 52" internal width), it might be clear enough-or if traveling day time only, just tie the license plate to the rack. My 35" spare partially overhangs the rack, so if you needed unobstructed space, then an 8" hitch extension would work-but keep in mind, the more you move your load back, the more it weigh pulls down due to the lever effect. Without the extension, the tail pipe is about 2" below the level of the bottom of the rack, and 9" distant, so there are not concerns of tail pipe heat to the rack or contents (might worry about exhaust smell if idle parked too long...)
Jeep Wrangler JL Hitch Mount Cargo Carriers haulmaster

xylodan

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLURD
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Engineer
I use this: https://wilcooffroad.com/shop/hitchswing/

Great for when I have the dogs in the back and a bicycle rack and I can even tow with all that other stuff going on. One negative is that the tire gets in the way so it also needs an extension. I'm researching a bumper/tire carrier that will lift the tire up more and hoping I can install this without the extension since it looks so clunky and does change the physics of towing.

au1994

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sahara 4xe, BMW X1
Occupation
Chickens
Does anyone have a problem with the rack scraping when going up or down a hill or driveway?

I’ll be getting something for my 4xe and these are a lot more cost competitive than an over the spare rack.

thanks!

Sponsored

REDSEAL199

First Name
Beau
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Unlimited Highaltitude 4xe
Just wondering if you went with the Curt model as I am considering it as well. If so, how is it working for you? Thanks!
I have used this on my 4Runner for a couple years works great! I'll have to try it on my wifes jeep to see if it works in conjunction with the tailgate. Stay tuned...

HeatBird

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
79' Corvette 4 spd. 21'Willys 2dr. 6 spd.
Occupation
Retired
I have used this on my 4Runner for a couple years works great! I'll have to try it on my wifes jeep to see if it works in conjunction with the tailgate. Stay tuned...
Please do. I'm in the market after coming back from a camping trip.

Granada

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Silverado
I use this on my Jeep:

https://www.etrailer.com/Hitch-Adapters/Kuat/PVP20B.html

Allows me to use cargo carrier even loaded and open the tailgate.
I use this, can put cargo carrier on and still have access to the trunk.... https://www.1up-usa.com/product/rakattach/
I use this...

Rola Vortex

in conjunction with this...

Yakima Backswing
Have any of you had any issues with the swing aways you have not being compatible with other brands carriers or bike racks? I've been looking at something like this that we could attach a bike rack or cargo carrier to depending on what we are up to. Would also be great to switch it to my truck to carry a grill for tailgating.

paffemt

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sahara
Have any of you had any issues with the swing aways you have not being compatible with other brands carriers or bike racks? I've been looking at something like this that we could attach a bike rack or cargo carrier to depending on what we are up to. Would also be great to switch it to my truck to carry a grill for tailgating.
Mine has a standard 2" receiver. It works with any of my carriers and mounts that use a 2" receiver. In addition to my platform, I have a Generator mount specific for my Honda and I have a Tarheel Screwdriver HF antenna that works with it.

balucipher

First Name
Balu
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Model Y, Gladiator
I have this one and the tailgate clears the basket. https://www.farmandfleet.com/products/984322-larin-aluminum-cargo-carrier.html

It comes mostly assembled, it's light weight, has pretty good capacity.

• Usable storage area: 47-1/2" x 20-1/2" x 6"
  • Weight: 33 lb
  • Material: Aluminum
  • Application: Automotive
  • Capacity: 500 lb
  • Height: 8"
  • Width: 22-3/8"
  • Length: 49-3/8"

https://www.farmandfleet.com/mastercard
I have one very similar to this and it has been great

I store it outside and its held up for several road trips

Sponsored

MrGneissGuy

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler JL Unlimited Sport
I have the Curt noted in the original post. This was a practice loadout. I could not open the tailgate with it loaded (not very far anyway). I didn't try with it unloaded, but I don't think it would work either. Having said that, it has been very good. It is sturdy. It's far enough back and high enough that I don't worry about tailpipe heat. It easily cleared the spare tire without an extension, and depending on how much you load on it, doesn't block the tail lights (license plate another story). I got one of those anti-rattle/hitch tightener things too, which worked quite nicely.

Jeep Wrangler JL Hitch Mount Cargo Carriers 1631120033362

Ranger1

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon Unlimited 2019
As mentioned it has standard 2” receiver, so as long as your carrier/rack is 2” you’re good to go

bigslick

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon
The price scares a lot of people away but I use this. No wobble. No screws to come loose. Swayback was designed for Jeeps so your tailgate and spare have clearance.

jeme

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
The price scares a lot of people away but I use this. No wobble. No screws to come loose. Swayback was designed for Jeeps so your tailgate and spare have clearance.
How do you like the Pakmule?
Sponsored