Hitch lock seized up!! Any ideas?!

KnG818

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Rubicon
So, I'm trying to remove my Factor 55 which I had secured in with a lock pin(masterlock pin). Trying to put in hitch with ball to tow something.

Totally seized up.

I've tried heat gun, wd40 - NOTHING, key wont even slide in, the tumblers are totally seized.(yes it's the right key).

Any ideas or easy way of cutting it off with ruining anything?
Sponsored

OldGuyNewJeep

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL, 2016 Yukon XL
So, I'm trying to remove my Factor 55 which I had secured in with a lock pin(masterlock pin). Trying to put in hitch with ball to tow something.

Totally seized up.

I've tried heat gun, wd40 - NOTHING, key wont even slide in, the tumblers are totally seized.(yes it's the right key).

Any ideas or easy way of cutting it off with ruining anything?
Happened to me years ago. I used a Dremel. It took several cutting discs and a steady hand to keep from scratching up the hitch. Iā€™ll never again use a hitch lock. Theyā€™re crap.

OP
OP
KnG818

KnG818

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Rubicon
Happened to me years ago. I used a Dremel. It took several cutting discs and a steady hand to keep from scratching up the hitch. Iā€™ll never again use a hitch lock. Theyā€™re crap.
That's my next move. Was think of drilling out the lock, not sure how that will turn out though.

Am so bullsh*t right now.

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer

Sponsored

JeepAddict

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Rubicon Recon
Definitely try something strong than wd40:
Look for CRC Knockā€™er Loose at any automotive store. Get the aerosol with straw to spray into the mechanism and let it sit a few hours or over night. Helped me with a hitch lock in the past.

Sponsored

OP
OP
KnG818

KnG818

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Rubicon
Definitely try something strong than wd40:
Look for CRC Knockā€™er Loose at any automotive store. Get the aerosol with straw to spray into the mechanism and let it sit a few hours or over night. Helped me with a hitch lock in the past.
Thanks bud will try

Hootbro

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport, 2022 JT RUBICON
I have been through this myself and have cut off more than one hitch lock setup due to seizure of the lock assembly. I just now make a point of at least once a month during the winter months to clean, lubricate and exercise the lock mechanism.

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLR 2.0T (past), '22 JLR 3.6 (present)
Maybe try applying a little heat with a propane torch before trying the key again? You can always cut it off if that does not work.

OP
OP
KnG818

KnG818

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Rubicon
I have been through this myself and have cut off more than one hitch lock setup due to seizure of the lock assembly. I just now make a point of at least once a month during the winter months to clean, lubricate and exercise the lock mechanism.
Yes, the tumblers were totally seized up.

Actually just got it off few minutes ago...heat gun and hammered the key(with caution) into the key hole all the way down. Then turned the key and it came off.

....phew, think I'm just going to keep my hitch empty until I need to use it. That really sucked think I may have to cut it off and scratch the shit out of the hitch.(maybe even just a cutter pin setup).

All good now though. Huge relief.

patternman

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUS, 2014 & 2001 Indian
One should take care what lube they use, dust and dirt can stick to oil based lube. I've had trouble with locks in the past with this. As
@Ma$$iveDebtAche posted above the dry graphite lube is what I've learned works best though I doubt it will help with a seized lock. YMMV
Sponsored