Pink Brit

Pink Brit

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
"GAMORA" Mojito JLR 6-speed manual :)
Occupation
Personal Trainer
While an adjustable hitch is certainly useful, the problem I have found with my JLUR is the length of the shank itself. The first time I hooked up my pop-up, I had to hook up the ball of hitch to the the trailer (uncoupled from the receiver) and have a 2nd person slide it into the receiver while slowly backing up. The trailer could not be placed on the ball because the spare got in the way. I solved the issue by buying a hitch with a longer shank.
Oh, didn’t think of that! Thanks :)
Sponsored

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
@Pink Brit

Here is a pic of a 10" adjustable hitch on my 2dr., JL Rubi. It clears the spare without problem.

drop.jpg

IronScott

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sahara, 1992 Jeep YJ, 2002 Chevy Silverado
You should buy what works for you. There are some very strong opinions on here that are good to listen to but in the end it’s your money and your Jeep. There isn’t always a one-size-fits-all solution.

digitalbliss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 1979 CJ7
@Pink Brit

Here is a pic of a 10" adjustable hitch on my 2dr., JL Rubi. It clears the spare without problem.

drop.jpg
wait till you have a trailer that needs the ball set on one of those higher settings... you're going to have a hard time getting the trailer tongue over the ball, under the spare, all while allowing you to keep the couple latch in a vertical position. Probably not an issue for a basic light weight utility trailer, but something heavier... YMMV

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
wait till you have a trailer that needs the ball set on one of those higher settings... you're going to have a hard time getting the trailer tongue over the ball, under the spare, all while allowing you to keep the couple latch in a vertical position. Probably not an issue for a basic light weight utility trailer, but something heavier... YMMV
@digitalbliss

I have towed various trailers with my JL and that particular hitch. With drops 2" to the 10" .

The angle of the pic, does not show it clearly but the ball is about 4" or more in front of the spare.

I will have and have not had issues as you mention.

YES, your concern is valid but again not an issue with the adjustable hitch in the picture.

I have towed just over 9 thousand miles so far with my JL. I have about 15,000 total miles on the JL's odometer. I do a lot of interstate towing.

Sponsored

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
@digitalbliss

My ball is out from the spare just as yours in your top pic. Maybe an inch less out as yours.

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
@digitalbliss

Not trying to win... Your point is very valid. But, as long as the top of the tongue on the trailer itself is clear for say 2'--3' back, the ball does not have to come out past the ball. Also, would be rare towing with a Rubi that you would find a trailer tongue that would be up high enough to be anywhere near the spare. The bottom of the spare on a Rubi, is up quite high.

Again, you point is very valid. I considered this, clearing the spare thing, as occasionally I pull a very short tongue trailer that has a tank mounted on the tongue. If the ball did not clear the spare enough, the tank would hit the spare, when I made tight turns.

Yes, the OP should consider all comments in this thread and come up with a set-up that works for her.

The point I was making with her is to go with an adjustable hitch. You can get an adjustable hitch as I have that clears the spare. You can also get a hitch extender to use with a fixed drop hitch and or an adjustable hitch.

OP
OP
Pink Brit

Pink Brit

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
"GAMORA" Mojito JLR 6-speed manual :)
Occupation
Personal Trainer
Thank you everyone so very much! I have lots of information to move forward with and you have all been extremely helpful. There is a great community here, and when my Rubi arrives, I have no doubt that towing my trailer will be a piece of cake!

Sponsored

omg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
@Pink Brit

I have geeeeez, over 50 years of towing under my belt so to speak.

What, I learned after my first 20 years, is to just invest in a half way decent adjustable hitch.

Over they years, you will acquire and use, borrow and use or whatever many different trailers.

Over the years,... you end up buying different rise/drop hitches... a 2", a 4", a 6", etc., and you end up with a pile of hitches and over the long haul spend a lot of $ on a scad of hitches.

Also, depending on your trailer, the height of the trailer tongue can differ by inches depending on, if it is loaded or empty, etc... or if you have passengers in the back of the tow vehicle...Today you may need a 1 inch drop and tomorrow you may need a 2 or 4" drop.. or you may need a 2", 3:, or whatever rise....

With that said.... I encourage you to buy a decent adjustable hitch. Yes, a decent one will cost you $100+- but you will always have a proper hitch when you are dealing with whatever trailer you are dealing with. Think tomorrow and years to come and how your needs will change. Buy an adjustable hitch and that one time purchase will go through life with you so to speak.

If you carry a adjustable hitch with you, you will always be prepared for whatever trailer you back up to ..... regardless of your tow vehicle.
solid advice. wish i had seen it. i bought a 2,4,6 adjustable one, after getting couple of different sized ones.

plus i already have a hitch extender, which clears any tire issue for certain trailers.

:like:

au176

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Islander, 2014 HD Road King
While an adjustable hitch is certainly useful, the problem I have found with my JLUR is the length of the shank itself. The first time I hooked up my pop-up, I had to hook up the ball of hitch to the the trailer (uncoupled from the receiver) and have a 2nd person slide it into the receiver while slowly backing up. The trailer could not be placed on the ball because the spare got in the way. I solved the issue by buying a hitch with a longer shank.
Good info. Something to think about...
Sponsored