Sponsored

Hitch Carrier for Snowblower

NSEWestman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jdkfikeka
Sorry if this should be in the towing thread?
Wondering if anyone has found a hitch carrier that will clear an oversized tire on the JLUS-Sport? I haven't been able to find much.
I've got a Sport S Unlimited. It has a factory mopar 2" lift and 34" BFG's. It didn't come with the tow package so I've got a receiver installed. No wiring though so I'm trying to find a carrier to avoid the trailer and wiring install. I need to cart around a snowblower.
My dilemma is that the hitch carriers seem to extend about 8-9 inches from the pin point on the receiver. The distance I'm seeing is close to 11" to clear my bumper and spare tire. The carriers with the ramp (which I need to load/unload the snowblower) also have a raised side of about 8" which is what is going to hit the tire since it needs to come out about 11" or so.
I know that getting a hitch extension is a possibility but it doesn't seem safe. I've heard that adding that can cut the carrying weigh of the hitch in half. The weight of the snowblower and carrier together are already running close to 300lb.
Anyone have a safe setup they are using? I should also add this is to be carted around town, speeds won't be passed 55mph. Looking for advise, suggestions. Thank you
Sponsored

BDinTX

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubicon Recon, 2021 JLU Rubicon
I agree with your logic. I believe the receiver is rated for 350# so being that close in weight I wouldn’t want to risk an extender either. Like you I added a receiver but not wiring. I use an extender with a small carrier but I’m only putting most 2x jerry cans in it. Frustrating that it’s so hard to add trailer wiring but a small trailer on slick roads wouldn’t be something I’d be excited to try either.

BDinTX

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubicon Recon, 2021 JLU Rubicon

Terminex

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4XE
Occupation
Fixing stupid....
Similar need is why I went with the Smittybilt XRC rear bumper. It has an integrated hitch that they rate for 500. The hitch is part of the bumper so the weight of anything mounted on my hitch is better distributed to the frame rails, as well as the cross member. Normal Hughes are just using the cross member.
Sponsored