Hitch cargo carriers

Afishinado

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Sahara, 17 JKU Big Bear, 97 TJ
UGH! I can't begin to tell you how much I hate having something like one of these on my vehicle... So on a whim, I added this JL to my garage and replaced a Tahoe, it is nice, I did it because 359 days a year a vehicle the size of the Tahoe is simply not necessary, and it's just a big foot print in the garage. I figured I could live with being a little crowded 6 days a year.... Well we took a one day trip with our 3 dogs, and we were pretty crowded. End of November we'll be doing three 12 hour days running from SD to FL. Always figured if it don't work, I'd just trade it for a Tahoe or a Wagoneer. So that's not happening by Thanksgiving (but hopefully by May when we do the same trip in reverse...
So, forgive my verbose unnecessary background above. I think I can get by with a Hitch Cargo Carrier like the one linked. So my question to those that have one; Does it fit behind the spare? If I put one of those extensions on it, will it rattle around for the 2300 mile trip?
Hopefully I will have a Wagoneer or Tahoe by May...
Sponsored

GeckoJosh

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU Baja Yellow
UGH! I can't begin to tell you how much I hate having something like one of these on my vehicle... So on a whim, I added this JL to my garage and replaced a Tahoe, it is nice, I did it because 359 days a year a vehicle the size of the Tahoe is simply not necessary, and it's just a big foot print in the garage. I figured I could live with being a little crowded 6 days a year.... Well we took a one day trip with our 3 dogs, and we were pretty crowded. End of November we'll be doing three 12 hour days running from SD to FL. Always figured if it don't work, I'd just trade it for a Tahoe or a Wagoneer. So that's not happening by Thanksgiving (but hopefully by May when we do the same trip in reverse...
So, forgive my verbose unnecessary background above. I think I can get by with a Hitch Cargo Carrier like the one linked. So my question to those that have one; Does it fit behind the spare? If I put one of those extensions on it, will it rattle around for the 2300 mile trip?
Hopefully I will have a Wagoneer or Tahoe by May...
I used one on multiple trips from PA to Georgia, PA to Vermont and PA to Maine. Got mine at Harbor Freight and also ordered a water proof bag to stuff our crud in there. Of course mine is on my JKU, JLU not here yet but not sure if there is a difference in the rear.

Jeepeto

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR XR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Sparky
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

OP
OP
Afishinado

Afishinado

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Do you have the steel one or the aluminum one? The aluminum one I think is a lot taller and might need to be removed to open the door. You will find there is a difference in the bumper on the JL from your JKU. The space (or indentation) for the spare is flat on the bottom, where your JK is round matching the tire. I've had the HF steel one, I think it would work, but I think the aluminum would be nice when I need to move it around for storage. BTW, the most I see ever on it is maybe 60lbs.

OP
OP
Afishinado

Afishinado

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks guys! I just ordered this one. I'm set. Thanks again for the input.
Jeep Wrangler JL Hitch cargo carriers 81DZG39t3VL._AC_SL1500_

Sponsored

LittleDog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sahara JLU
Guess nobody's stealing those gas cans.

@Afishinado I'd definitely go for aluminum for light weight and rust inhibition. I've an aluminum Curt tray that weighs around 20 lbs, and it is amazing being able to easily pick it up and swing it around or overhead.

The centre post is usually still steel, but I recommend replacing nuts and bolts with stainless when you first assemble.

Hitch tighteners will fix the rattle and wobble. Get two if you use an extension.

You said you only have 60lbs of cargo or so, but just remember that a hitch extension will typically halve the load capacity. And be prepared to scare yourself when you drag the tray on steep off-exit gas staion entrances.

OP
OP
Afishinado

Afishinado

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The one I ordered is aluminum, 21.6lbs... I never saw the tighteners until today while shopping for the rack. Will get a set. Thanks

au1994

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sahara 4xe, BMW X1
Occupation
Chickens
Guess nobody's stealing those gas cans.

@Afishinado I'd definitely go for aluminum for light weight and rust inhibition. I've an aluminum Curt tray that weighs around 20 lbs, and it is amazing being able to easily pick it up and swing it around or overhead.

The centre post is usually still steel, but I recommend replacing nuts and bolts with stainless when you first assemble.

Hitch tighteners will fix the rattle and wobble. Get two if you use an extension.

You said you only have 60lbs of cargo or so, but just remember that a hitch extension will typically halve the load capacity. And be prepared to scare yourself when you drag the tray on steep off-exit gas staion entrances.
Yeah, I was going to ask about this. I could use one but concerned about what it does to the approach and departure angle. My driveway is s little steep.

LittleDog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sahara JLU
Yeah, I was going to ask about this. I could use one but concerned about what it does to the approach and departure angle. My driveway is s little steep.
Tough to say, without me getting a protractor, then you getting a protractor, then both of us looking up how to use them correctly.

I use mine on a swing-away hitch, which extends the tray, but also raises it the one hitch height:
Jeep Wrangler JL Hitch cargo carriers 20210909_182139

It weighs more than the tray though.

I'd say your best bet would be to get a yardstick and tape it to the bottom of your hitch, out to the width of the tray you are planning to buy. Remember to add the length of the original tray extension and any extender you may add.

Then go down the driveway and see if it scrapes. Remember to account for the sideways length at the ends of the tray, for when you turn out of the driveway.

Good luck.

calemasters

First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon Unlimited, & Escalade
Occupation
Retired Mechanical Engineer
I have the cargo carrier with the weather resistant bag. We encountered a lot of rain but everything stayed dry. It does a good job. It does clear the spare, but I can not open the tailgate with all my stuff on the carrier. I used those nylon wedges to keep the carrier from rocking.

Sponsored

Zoopy123

First Name
Trevor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4xe Sahara
Occupation
Media Services
I used one on multiple trips from PA to Georgia, PA to Vermont and PA to Maine. Got mine at Harbor Freight and also ordered a water proof bag to stuff our crud in there. Of course mine is on my JKU, JLU not here yet but not sure if there is a difference in the rear.
How'd that Harbor Freight cargo hitch work out? Was looking at the same one but wondered if it would clear the rear spare tire

Vanburi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 'Mojito' JLR
For my harbor freight hitch carrier(the aluminum model), I use a hitch extender to clear the spare.
Sponsored