Hitch Bike Rack recommendations?

o||4xe||o

First Name
Kent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUS 4xe
I forgot to ask. What configuration of the 1up did you install? 2,3 or 4 bike rack?
I ordered the heavy duty double plus one add on.
Sponsored

o||4xe||o

First Name
Kent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUS 4xe
How do you like it (driver side) so far? Any regrets? Do you have larger (than stock) spare and did you install relo kit to move spare up a bit?
I ordered the rack last week. Jeep should ship any day now. Fingers crossed that I will have both by end of the month.

jlur_2019

First Name
Oliver
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
I ordered the rack last week. Jeep should ship any day now. Fingers crossed that I will have both by end of the month.
That's awesome man. Congrats on the new Jeep! Let the fun begin!
That's awesome man. Congrats on the new Jeep! Let the fun begin!

LatteSipper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLU Sahara 6MT, '23 Highlander
Big thumbs up for the 1up 2” Heavy Duty Double, I’ve been using it for several months now. After reading here, I bought the reverse mounting plate option to ensure no clearance issues with the stock Sahara spare. I bought 2 add on trays too to haul our family of four’s bikes, with wheels as small as 20”. Great quality rack so far.

Sponsored

jlur_2019

First Name
Oliver
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Big thumbs up for the 1up 2” Heavy Duty Double, I’ve been using it for several months now. After reading here, I bought the reverse mounting plate option to ensure no clearance issues with the stock Sahara spare. I bought 2 add on trays too to haul our family of four’s bikes, with wheels as small as 20”. Great quality rack so far.
I have rubicon a
I have a rubicon w 35” wheels and a spare tire relo kit that moved spare up ~1” and no issue w normal bracket (tested w friends 1up double rack). I have about a 1/2” of clearance to rack in bike loaded position.
I do use 7” hitch extension which I think is required regardless of whether using reverseor normal brackets.

LatteSipper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLU Sahara 6MT, '23 Highlander
I have rubicon a

I have a rubicon w 35” wheels and a spare tire relo kit that moved spare up ~1” and no issue w normal bracket (tested w friends 1up double rack). I have about a 1/2” of clearance to rack in bike loaded position.
I do use 7” hitch extension which I think is required regardless of whether using reverseor normal brackets.
No hitch extension here, and no clearance issues; unless you mean specific to 35" tires, which I can't speak to.

Last edited:

Ranger1

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon Unlimited 2019
Did the guys at 1up recommend the driver side swing for wrangler? I keep wanting to keep it all on the same side so driver side is clear of obstacles, but even my current Thule apex swing keeps the tailgate from opening all the way.
opens enough to utilize my tailgate table though. Not sure how much I’ll be able to open tailgate with bikes loaded if I go with passenger side rack attach and 1up super duty double rack

I didn’t speak to anyone at 1up. I figured drivers side was a better choice, as couldn’t guarantee that my tailgate would open fully, and I was feeling too lazy to measure it all out 😁

jlur_2019

First Name
Oliver
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
I didn’t speak to anyone at 1up. I figured drivers side was a better choice, as couldn’t guarantee that my tailgate would open fully, and I was feeling too lazy to measure it all out 😁
Thanks for responding. I actually pulled trigger on passenger side bc we camp a lot and it’s convenient to have tailgate and bike on same side. Fortunately tailgate opens enough to use tailgate table.
Jeep Wrangler JL Hitch Bike Rack recommendations? 1636352766796

o||4xe||o

First Name
Kent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUS 4xe
Thanks for responding. I actually pulled trigger on passenger side bc we camp a lot and it’s convenient to have tailgate and bike on same side. Fortunately tailgate opens enough to use tailgate table.
Jeep Wrangler JL Hitch Bike Rack recommendations? 1636352766796
It looks like you went with the EZ Pull extension. How is that working for you?

I skipped the locking extension bolts and EZ Pull, mostly because I will be occasionally removing the third tray add-on and didn't want to buy both lengths of EZ Pull. The way it's designed, would an EZPull for the double rack still work with the third tray add-on in place?

Sponsored

jlur_2019

First Name
Oliver
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
It looks like you went with the EZ Pull extension. How is that working for you?

I skipped the locking extension bolts and EZ Pull, mostly because I will be occasionally removing the third tray add-on and didn't want to buy both lengths of EZ Pull. The way it's designed, would an EZPull for the double rack still work with the third tray add-on in place?
I bought a 4 bike EZ pull. I totally recommend EZ pull, even if you only have 2 bike rack. Not so much to help with reach but to ensure you pull on the latch evenly. 1up notches have tight tolerances and if you don’t pull evenly it’s hard to tilt.
Initially i wanted to leave rack on all the time, but it blocked rear camera so I had to figure out how to remove the rack in parts (in 4 rack configuration it’s an effing beast).
I ended up trimming my 4 bike configuration EZ pull to what I call a 2.5 EZ pull 😁 and sandwiching the rod guide plate for EZ pull betw double rack and first add on (I was confident this was ok to do but gave 1up a call anyway and they said any length EZ pull works). I left it so handle of EZ pull is about half way betw 2nd and 3rd rack.Works great!
1. Can use same EZ pull in any rack configuration 2,3 or 4)
2. Can remove two add ons easily without swapping EZ pull
3. Handle is about chest height as opposed to forehead height (rack is on lifted Jeep w big tires) so easier physically to engage (particularly for the mrs who’s only 5’2”).
4. Gave me the extra space I wanted to get my whole hand around handle (originally there was prob an inch or so betw handle n back of rack)
5. Now I can easily carry the rack to and from garage in two parts. First take off 2 add ons, then remove double rack (two ~45 lbs pieces rather than carrying an awkward 90lb single piece)

Check out EZ pull in 2 and 4 bike configuration. I might trim it a bit more but I wanted to be conservative on first cut 😁

Jeep Wrangler JL Hitch Bike Rack recommendations? 1636389892419

Jeep Wrangler JL Hitch Bike Rack recommendations? 1636389921627

o||4xe||o

First Name
Kent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUS 4xe
I bought a 4 bike EZ pull. I totally recommend EZ pull, even if you only have 2 bike rack. Not so much to help with reach but to ensure you pull on the latch evenly. 1up notches have tight tolerances and if you don’t pull evenly it’s hard to tilt.
Initially i wanted to leave rack on all the time, but it blocked rear camera so I had to figure out how to remove the rack in parts (in 4 rack configuration it’s an effing beast).
I ended up trimming my 4 bike configuration EZ pull to what I call a 2.5 EZ pull 😁 and sandwiching the rod guide plate for EZ pull betw double rack and first add on (I was confident this was ok to do but gave 1up a call anyway and they said any length EZ pull works). I left it so handle of EZ pull is about half way betw 2nd and 3rd rack.Works great!
1. Can use same EZ pull in any rack configuration 2,3 or 4)
2. Can remove two add ons easily without swapping EZ pull
3. Handle is about chest height as opposed to forehead height (rack is on lifted Jeep w big tires) so easier physically to engage (particularly for the mrs who’s only 5’2”).
4. Gave me the extra space I wanted to get my whole hand around handle (originally there was prob an inch or so betw handle n back of rack)
5. Now I can easily carry the rack to and from garage in two parts. First take off 2 add ons, then remove double rack (two ~45 lbs pieces rather than carrying an awkward 90lb single piece)

Check out EZ pull in 2 and 4 bike configuration. I might trim it a bit more but I wanted to be conservative on first cut 😁

That's brilliant - I love it! I guess I'll be sending more cash to the fine folks at 1up. I'm flying to TN in a couple days to take delivery, so a couple higher priorities in the pipeline! Until then, my rack patiently waits in the garage.
Jeep Wrangler JL Hitch Bike Rack recommendations? 3790103B-D0D2-49F8-809F-EB9C2CBB95F6

Based on your pix, I think I may go with a "2.25" or so. Just enough clearance for the hand in double configuration, but still easy to operate in triple configuration.

Thanks for sharing!

jlur_2019

First Name
Oliver
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
That's brilliant - I love it! I guess I'll be sending more cash to the fine folks at 1up. I'm flying to TN in a couple days to take delivery, so a couple higher priorities in the pipeline! Until then, my rack patiently waits in the garage.
Jeep Wrangler JL Hitch Bike Rack recommendations? 3790103B-D0D2-49F8-809F-EB9C2CBB95F6

Based on your pix, I think I may go with a "2.25" or so. Just enough clearance for the hand in double configuration, but still easy to operate in triple configuration.

Thanks for sharing!
My pleasure. Glad I could help.
I might go 2.25 myself someday, but I envision being in 4 rack configuration most of the time so that extra .25 is nice when reaching from 4th rack.
Mostly I think I didn’t want to regret cutting to much.
im brainstorming what to do about magnetic pin since using Jeep pin on latch instead. Was thinking if trim it I can raise it a couple inches to clear the bottom hole. My friend has tire carrier n it has spring loaded safety pins that come up an inch to allow carrier to swing after disengagement of latch

JeezAJeep

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Baja..2019 BMW X2
Had a Thule on my 2012. It was a bike rack that worked real well. Thule also sells a ski rack that attaches to the bike rack. It held my skis and snowboards with no problem. Worth a try

KJKWillys

First Name
Kirk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Granite Crystal Willys - 6 Speed Manual