Sponsored

Hit to left rear caused buckled frame rail...suggestions on getting it repaired properly?

Chupacabra

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU
Guy at work had his frame swapped on a newer Tacoma after getting rear ended. They found one from a hail-damaged Taco and they had it swapped out on his. Took a few weeks. Anyway, he is still driving it and hasn't said anything about any issues with it. I guess it probably depends on the quality of the frame swap guy(s) who do they work too.

But I agree with everyone else, that "repair" is crap and I wouldn't accept that on my own Jeep personally.
Sponsored

OP
OP
BackToWrangler

BackToWrangler

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 80th Anniversary JLU
Holy hell that doesn't look repaired to me. What happens if someone bumps it next time? Goes into rear passenger compartment?
Yes...great question. Between getting this fixed properly and the diminished value claim (my Jeep is a 2021 with 5500 miles on it), I'm going to be busy the next couple of weeks. :(

OP
OP
BackToWrangler

BackToWrangler

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
That is unsatisfactory…and unsafe in the event of another accident as Scott B stated. Let your insurance company get involved….assuming you have full coverage. Horse crap repair.
This is covered 100% under the insurance of the people that hit me. Coincidentally happens to be the same insurance company I have...that may help me...not sure yet (I can make the if you want to keep me as a customer argument...)

OP
OP
BackToWrangler

BackToWrangler

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I bet if I was buying it used and took it to a good shop for inspection they would say "hell no" if they were good at it. With it being on carfax as a crash etc.
Yup...same concerns I have...

OP
OP
BackToWrangler

BackToWrangler

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
This is how I see it. A kink in the frame rail that can’t be seen and has no mechanical affect on the vehicle. Or having someone at a Jeep dealer remove the body from the frame, then all of the susepnsion, drivetrain, wiring and brake lines from the old frame and transfer it to another frame, then mount your body back onto it. How many hundreds of bolts and fasteners will be turned? The potential for squeaks, rattles and improperly torqued bolts coming loose is very high. If I had a new vehicle that the frame was replaced on, I would trade it as soon as I could.

That having been said, the kink is close to the shock and suspension mounting points. It is a bad spot. Damned if you do and damned if you don’t.

Modern high steel frames are very strong and stiff and light compared to C channel ladder frames. However, the wall thickness is not anywhere as thick as older frames. This frame is designed to absord impact to protect occupants.

I would want it checked by a shop, who is not on the insurance payroll, that specializes in that kind of work. If they say it’s good to go, or that there is a way to repair it to a high degree of quality and soundness, then I wouldn’t go through the trouble of having it swapped.
You make a very good point that I thought about also...the risks of having the Jeep "reassembled" to swap frames. I agree that solution is prone to problems also. As it is now, I have a rattle in the rear window I never had before. Don't know how the collision shop could have caused it, but it was not there before I dropped it off. I know it is a common problem with JLs, so I'm gonna try the "bulb grease" solution I read about on this forum...but still. I have an appointment to have a local shop not associated with the insurance company to check out the repairs next week. He works pretty much only on Wranglers, does custom builds, etc. Based on his recommendations I'll take the next step...

Sponsored

Sarge50

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JULR 2012 Ram 2500 Cummins 2008 Mazdaspeed3
I would not accept that frame "repair". It is behind the rear axle. Have you seen what an overloaded trailer did to a Gladiator, yes they have longer wheelbase, but a loaded trailer will put a great amount of stress on that area.

Broken-Gladiator-Hero-1.jpg

OP
OP
BackToWrangler

BackToWrangler

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I would not accept that frame "repair". It is behind the rear axle. Have you seen what an overloaded trailer did to a Gladiator, yes they have longer wheelbase, but a loaded trailer will put a great amount of stress on that area.

Jeep Wrangler JL Hit to left rear caused buckled frame rail...suggestions on getting it repaired properly? Broken-Gladiator-Hero-1
That is a great point! I will add it to my argument. I ordered the factory trailer package, so it is easy to prove I intend to use the vehicle for towing.
Sponsored