Sponsored

Hit a deer doing 70mph :(

offset_98

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sahara, 1993 Nissan 300ZX, 2015 Subaru Outback, 2011 Toyota Sienna
Looks good. I got one at 60 in my Crown Vic once upon a time and had to get the hood, pass fender pass door, radiator, windshield tons of stuff fixed. That jeep took it like a champ.
Sponsored

Jmonroe

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR and a '99 Camaro SS convertible I bought new
Occupation
Retired
I worked auto claims for a few decades. Rarely will there be frame damage from a deer hit. You were lucky to get a glancing blow, outside corner and down the side. All the damaged parts can simply be replaced. Would have been much different if he'd gone through the radiator or hit an airbag sensor.

New parts, solid white will be easy to match. A month from now this will be nothing but a good campfire story.

UKCATS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR Recon/2020 Mazda3 Hatchback
Occupation
I play piano in a whorehouse
It was 11:30pm on a desserted interstate. I pulled over but could not find it anywhere. I must have flung it off in a ditch somewhere because i can't believe it survived that.
Did you check in the back?

7EB5CC38-68CF-4D6C-A2CD-0DD2D9C759FD.gif

JJSix

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, 2016 Dodge Caravan
Occupation
Military
Vehicle Showcase
I expected much more damage OP, looks like you came out mostly okay. We hit one about that speed in a Dodge caravan a few years ago, 9k in damage. Basically whole front and driver's side quarter panel, we got his 6 pt antlers though!

1450071_10100594492080420_6807900802995842449_n.jpg

Sponsored

Medictrode

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon, 2017 Ram 2500 Power Wagon
This is why I appreciate the hunters in my area. We have a serious deer overpopulation issue and the bleeding heart idiots are always trying to stop hunting. Dumb creatures too, they can hear the slightest tick in the woods but not a 2 ton Jeep coming down the street...

crazychile

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Wrangler JK, 2018 Wrangler JLU
15 years ago I moved from CA to IA. My insurance rates went up considerably. I asked the insurance agent, WTF? IA higher than CA? His response....Deer.

ZEN357

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT
Occupation
Auto Mechanic
Sorry about your luck! I live in the northern panhandle of WV and hitting a deer is a very common occurrence here. My Late Father was an insurance agent I think almost every 2 out of three claims he would get for his clients were deer related accidents.

Sponsored

Jeepznthingz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLURXR Tuscadero, 2023 JLURXR Reign
Did your airbag pop? I’d think a 70mph hit on anything, especially a deer would pop the airbag.

Shots

First Name
Winchell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Rubicon
I worked auto claims for a few decades. ... ...Would have been much different if he'd gone through the radiator or hit an airbag sensor....
Ha ha, it's been a while hasn't it? No "airbag sensor" anymore. There used to be sensors mounted along the front of the vehicle, that sensed impact like you mention. That's been quite a while ago though. Modern airbags are controlled by the computer which monitors a lot of things other than just a single point contact like the old sensors.

Did your airbag pop? I’d think a 70mph hit on anything, especially a deer would pop the airbag.
Nah, a glancing blow like that won't trigger the airbags. If it had been a more direct shot, the airbags likely would have deployed though.

Jmonroe

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR and a '99 Camaro SS convertible I bought new
Occupation
Retired
Airbag sensors work based on sudden deceleration. A glancing blow to a deer would not be sufficient to set it off.

Manufacturers struggled in the early years of implementation with sensitivity of the sensors. A blown bag will, at the very least, add hundreds if not thousands to the repair bill, not to mention the injury risk to passengers (low and acceptable in a serious crash where the alternative is significant injury or death). Even a bad pothole hit could set off early sensors. Imagine how that might have affected off road adventures!

Bottom line, new airbag systems are quite sophisticated compared to early versions, not every collision will set them off. The magic is in walking the line between when they should or should not be activated.

Shots

First Name
Winchell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Rubicon
Sounds like you already knew what I was saying Jay.

Jeepznthingz, to give you an idea of what the computer is monitoring here is a slimmed version of the stuff it's analyzing every .1 seconds

Safety Belt Status, Driver
Safety Belt Status, Outboard Front Passenger
Seat Track Position Switch, Foremost, Status, Driver
Seat Track Position Switch, Foremost, Status, Outboard Front Passenger
Occupant Size Classification, Right Front Passenger
Maximum Delta-V Longitudinal (MPH [km/h])
Time, Maximum Delta-V, Longitudinal (msec)
Maximum Delta-V Lateral (MPH [km/h])
Time, Maximum Delta-V, Lateral (msec)
Retractor Pretensioner, Driver
Anchor Pretensioner, Driver
Seatbelt Load Limiter, Driver
Retractor Pretensioner, Passenger
Anchor Pretensioner, Passenger
Seatbelt Load Limiter, Passenger
Trouble Codes at start of event
0 to 300 ms of longitudinal and lateral delta-V
Engine RPM
Speed, Vehicle Indicated (MPH)
Accelerator Pedal / Engine Throttle, % Full
Raw Manifold Pressure (kPa)
ABS Status
Service Brake
Brake Switch #1 Status
Brake Switch #2 Status
Brake Master Cylinder Pressure
Braking System, Intervention by ESC
ABS Activity
Steering Input (%)
Yaw Rate (deg/sec)
Wheel Speed LF (RPM)
Wheel Speed RF (RPM)
Wheel Speed LR (RPM)
Wheel Speed RR (RPM)
Engine Torque Requested
Drive Mode
Tire Pressure Status 1
Tire Pressure Status 2
Tire Pressure Status 3
Tire Pressure Status 4
Cruise Control Status (Engaged/ Not Engaged)

As you can see there's a lot that goes into determining if the airbags go off now or not. A lot of people are surprised when they don't go off after a crash, but in many cases, it's exactly as Jay mentioned. It's a matter of managing the acceptable risk of injury to the occupants with airbag deployment vs non-deployment. Airbags do typically hurt (usually minor abrasion/burn) which is obviously preferential to face planting the steering wheel. At the same time, you don't wan the injury or expense if the crash is relatively minor.

TaxPhan

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Black Sahara
Occupation
VP of Tax
Looking at the last picture I’d say you knocked the $#!t out of that deer.
Just here to appreciate this comment! Lol...
Sponsored