Banned
Banned
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL 2 Door Rubicon
If you really feel you “Almost Died” The logical commonsense gut reaction thing to do would be never drive it again. And of course you would never take your family in it no matter the financial loss.
However if it’s a complete overreaction you’ll just take it to the dealer then drive it as normal with your family and just complain about it.
Sponsored

Hibypass

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUS
Vehicle Showcase
Was the Jeep wet? Sometimes they shake their fur like a dog to dry off...:CWL: Sorry, My weird imagination...
Also, jeeps aren’t the only vehicle to get death wobble. My old F250 would do it when the front tires would near wear out. Scary in it also!

00Sebby

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Occupation
Ex-auto quality engr & mgt. Now just enjoy life.
This is what I've been saying; people who've never experienced Jeeps or solid f/r axels are shocked and terrified as soon as they experience death wobble and some are stupid enough to sue over it, like the women who sued McDonalds after she pour coffee on herself

Welcome to the Jeep Life; now that you popped your cherry (which are hipster grapes), you can do mods, have the dealer do their fix, etc. Or realize the Jeep life ain't for you and move on, though I'm sure you'll stick with the former

_____
(Should clarify, I'm not calling you stupid or anything OP, just stating that while you're not screaming hysterically, there's a few others in your position who would be)
This isn't trying to start an argument or debate about what we should expect as part of the "Jeep Life". But I see posts like this all the time about "death wobble" and how it's part of owning a Jeep, SFA vehicle, etc. However, I don't ever expect to have "death wobble" nor would I put up with what I've seen in videos just to own a Jeep. I would not be a fan if that was a norm. I'm on Jeep #8 and all were solid front axles. I have never experienced DW with any of them during all the miles I have driven them.

1989 XJ Renegade 225,000 miles
1991 Grand Wagoneer 151,000 miles
1997 TJ Sport 75,000 miles
1998 TJ Sport SE 50,000 miles
1999 XJ Classic 90,000 miles
2000 XJ Sport 180,000 miles
2012 JKUR 75,000 miles
2020 JLUR 1500 miles and fingers crossed

But other than oversized off-road & AT tires, all of these were stock suspension. The higher mileage ones had shocks replaced but that is the only suspension component I ever had to replace on any of them. There were also some front u-joints and a couple of wheel bearings, but that's it. Again, if this '20 model does it and it cannot be fixed, it will belong to someone else sooner rather than later. So I hope it avoids all of that crap because, at this point, I really like it.

Last edited:

RubenZ

First Name
Ruben
Threads
Reaction score
Website
myjlproject.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford F-250, 18’ Toyota 4Runner
The whole Death Wobble because its a Jeep is the biggest Bull Shit argument I've ever read. There are plenty and plenty of SFA vehicles out there that don't experience Death Wobble. Its not NORMAL on JEEPS and Shouldn't be Normal on Jeeps and Isn't Normal on any vehicle. Death Wobble happens because something is misaligned or Loose or lacks the strength to keep from flexing.

Sponsored

Chipe

First Name
Chip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Silverado
Vehicle Showcase
I think the scary thing is that you never know if you will ever get it or if you don't now will you 1K, 2K...6K miles down the road? This is the whole reason I am being proactive and replacing everything I can (except I am NOT doing the actual hydraulic pump switch). I have already done the track bar and put in a Fox 2.2 steering stabilizer. New Synergy tie rod and drag link, sector shaft brace, front adjust LCA's and geometry brackets on the way. Once I've saved some more I'll do UCA's and rear CA's. Maybe even move do the rear track bar.

I do NOT want my wife driving it and end up rolling due to the "old death wobble."

Chipe

First Name
Chip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Silverado
Vehicle Showcase
That's why Slipknot was right
And if you remember, she won: from Wikipedia:
Stella Liebeck. In 1992, 79-year-old Stella Liebeck bought a cup of takeout coffee at a McDonald's drive-thru in Albuquerque and spilled it on her lap. She sued McDonald's and a jury awarded her nearly $3 million in punitive damages for the burns she suffered.

EDIT: She was "only" awarded $640,000.
EDIT again: After appeal she settled "for less than $600,000.00"

Rogues Gambit

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 2dr Bronco Badlands, 2.3t Manual
I may have peed a little but I did not scream. BTW, does anyone know a good way to get pee out of a cloth seat?
I'm sure there's something, people transport babies and animals that have accidents all the time now

OP
OP
JDoty47

JDoty47

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited JL
If you really feel you “Almost Died” The logical commonsense gut reaction thing to do would be never drive it again. And of course you would never take your family in it no matter the financial loss.
However if it’s a complete overreaction you’ll just take it to the dealer then drive it as normal with your family and just complain about it.
Well you can go fuck yourself right off. Great addition to the conversation

Rogues Gambit

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 2dr Bronco Badlands, 2.3t Manual
And if you remember, she won: from Wikipedia:
Stella Liebeck. In 1992, 79-year-old Stella Liebeck bought a cup of takeout coffee at a McDonald's drive-thru in Albuquerque and spilled it on her lap. She sued McDonald's and a jury awarded her nearly $3 million in punitive damages for the burns she suffered.

EDIT: She was "only" awarded $640,000.
New Mexico, all I needed to see

Sponsored

Gellie

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
This is what I've been saying; people who've never experienced Jeeps or solid f/r axels are shocked and terrified as soon as they experience death wobble and some are stupid enough to sue over it, like the women who sued McDonalds after she pour coffee on herself

Welcome to the Jeep Life; now that you popped your cherry (which are hipster grapes), you can do mods, have the dealer do their fix, etc. Or realize the Jeep life ain't for you and move on, though I'm sure you'll stick with the former

_____
(Should clarify, I'm not calling you stupid or anything OP, just stating that while you're not screaming hysterically, there's a few others in your position who would be)
Let me give you my thoughts. I coming from a 2010 JKLU Sahara. When I picked up my 2020 JLUR the TP was set at ~45 psi. Going from CT to NJ was a real challenge. To her down to ~37 psi and much improved. In some ways better than my Sahara other way worse. Maybe I need to get more use to the fixed axel. I also own a 2017 Pcar. At speeds around 70 all is fine. When I kick it above 80 I really need to drive her. Both hands on the wheel and watching the lane markers. When my kids take the JKUR out I remind them they I. In a Jeep. Not there moms X3 or the old Sahara. Just my thoughts. Feel free to correct me if I’m wrong.

ecentric

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 2.0 Ocean Blue
OP: Death wobble isn't a normal nor acceptable aspect of owning a Jeep. If you don't feel like your stock vehicle can safely hit 85 on a quality highway, it needs to be fixed. Anything else is posturing.

Tangent about the McDonald's verdict: y'all do realize that verdict wasn't just about some random person spilling coffee, right? The whole thing where there was a system of behavior that happened at the corporate level for a decade, with people being regularly injured? The part where they refused to cover any medical expenses beyond $800? The fact that it was such an ugly situation that the jury found the woman partially responsible, but still felt the need to award 3 days of coffee sales revenue as punitive damages independent of the actual damages?

https://www.caoc.org/?enableMobile=0&pg=facts

Buckster

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 billet silver JLUR '16 Grand Cherokee Overland
Occupation
Power Generation
Vehicle Showcase
Bet you are a ton of fun at parties....

OP - My Rubi has been good, but I had the true DW on an old TJ - it will definitely make you soil yourself. Like the smart folks have said, make sure all steering components are tight with no play. If you are dependent on the dealership for all maintenance issues (no judgement here), then you should be standing on the service mgrs desk. Hope you get it worked out and also let us know how the SS is oriented after the recall.

Badweissenbier

First Name
Bad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Billet JLUR
4EE0F8B4-60F5-4A68-BAC2-7B0524EFBB3E.jpeg

I just started a thread on this. The dealer did the recall and put the shock on upside down. Look at the sticker then check yours as this causes bad bump steer and wheel shake
Sponsored