Sponsored

Hinge Gate Reinforcement. Who went aftermarket on their 392?

alksion

First Name
Josiah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Rubicon 392, 21 Sahara Altitude
Occupation
Biz Owner
Hello I have a pair of 37 inch BFG K02s C Load coming in by the end of the week. I already purchased the quadratec spare tire relocation bracket to accommodate the tire. These tires are 13 pounds heavier than the stock tires.

At first I was planning on just going with the regular hinge gate but I’m getting more worried about that as I’m doing my research.

I couldn’t believe that the Mopar reinforcement kit is about $600. Has anyone went with an aftermarket solution that’s easy on the eyes that’s maybe half the price? I know there’s a ton of threads on this but I’m just wondering specifically for the 392. Thanks.

PS - No bumper Solutions. I like the stock look for now.
Sponsored

hoag4147

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR XR
Vehicle Showcase
Hello I have a pair of 37 inch BFG K02s C Load coming in by the end of the week. I already purchased the quadratec spare tire relocation bracket to accommodate the tire. These tires are 13 pounds heavier than the stock tires.

At first I was planning on just going with the regular hinge gate but I’m getting more worried about that as I’m doing my research.

I couldn’t believe that the Mopar reinforcement kit is about $600. Has anyone went with an aftermarket solution that’s easy on the eyes that’s maybe half the price? I know there’s a ton of threads on this but I’m just wondering specifically for the 392. Thanks.

PS - No bumper Solutions. I like the stock look for now.
This is always a huge debate on here. The 392 is no different then any other Rubicon 2.0, 3.6, 3.0, 4xe etc. all the same back there. Only difference is stock wheels probably a little heavier.

plex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Occupation
Weekend keyboard mechanic and beer drinker
Vehicle Showcase
I am a strong believer of the JL factory hinge is already strong enough, so unless you go with bumper or frame mounted tire carrier, you will see marginal benefits.

There are de-labeled Mopar reinforcement kit on Amazon going for $150. I think most better hinged reinforcement and tire carrier go north of $600 (Cavfab, Rustys, Teraflex, etc.)

MC3_

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 392
Occupation
Accounting & Finance
On my old JL i only had the Mopar reinforcement with 37 Nittos. However i installed the reinforcement after my tailgate had began to shift. This time around i am going to get a tire carrier that actually replaces the hinges as the Mopar does not. A lot of people like to run the Rusty's Offroad tire carrier or the Teraflex one

Mikester86

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLR
The fact they the Mopar tailgate reinforcement kit does nothing to strengthen the hinges leads one to believe the hinges are stronger than they say and the tailgate itself needs the extra support to spread the weight out to keep it from warping or buckling. I could be full of bulla bulla, but this is how I see it.

Sponsored

OP
OP
alksion

alksion

First Name
Josiah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Biz Owner
Interesting. Could 13 pounds really cause it shift over time? I suppose so.

MC3_

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 392
Occupation
Accounting & Finance
Interesting. Could 13 pounds really cause it shift over time? I suppose so.
I'm not sure how much my Nittos weighed but I had them on for about 4 months and when my Jeep went back in for some mods the shop and I had noticed a slight sag in the tailgate. I had went to the sand dunes a couple of times along with daily driving in those 4 months

plex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Occupation
Weekend keyboard mechanic and beer drinker
Vehicle Showcase
Nittos are really heavy, their lightest 37 tires are about 20 lbs heavier than BFG KO2. Tailgate sag happens all the time, it is actually an easy fix, just loosen the bolt and re-align them.

OP
OP
alksion

alksion

First Name
Josiah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Biz Owner
Yeah this isn’t even a true 37”. It’s pretty light.

Outrun

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 392XR
I can't find any issues with the Mopar hinge reinforcement anywhere that wasn't related to incorrect installation.
Didn't your 392 come with it?

Sponsored

OP
OP
alksion

alksion

First Name
Josiah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Biz Owner
I can't find any issues with the Mopar hinge reinforcement anywhere that wasn't related to incorrect installation.
Didn't your 392 come with it?
No it did not. The only option not ticked I believe. I took the allocation from a friend.

Kauai392

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 392, '22 Gladiator, '23 392
The Mopar "reinforcement" is a very expensive add-on which pretty much reinforces the tailgate itself. I went with a Rugged Ridge (as they say) "HD Tire Carrier Hinge Casting" which replaces the entire hinge unit and supports the tire - the tailgate then just goes along for the ride. About $400 for the RR vs $675 for the non-discounted Mopar unit.

OP
OP
alksion

alksion

First Name
Josiah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Biz Owner
The Mopar "reinforcement" is a very expensive add-on which pretty much reinforces the tailgate itself. I went with a Rugged Ridge (as they say) "HD Tire Carrier Hinge Casting" which replaces the entire hinge unit and supports the tire - the tailgate then just goes along for the ride. About $400 for the RR vs $675 for the non-discounted Mopar unit.
That’s not a bad option. I’m still thinking though this tire is so light it might not be necessary.

MORubi

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Red JLUR, 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee
Occupation
Construction
I also will be installing a Rugged Ridge Carrier. I am just reusing the one I had on my JLUR non 392. Seems like a solid unit.

jahysea

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
00 TJ (sold), 08 JK Rubicon, 21 4xe Rubicon
I am extremely happy with the CavFab solution that replaces the hinges. Adds a fair bit of weight but super stout and maintains the tailgate latch. Costs more than the Mopar reinforcement but delivers more value in my opinion.

My JK has a bumper mount and I hate it.
Sponsored