Sponsored

Hinge Gate Reinforcement. Who went aftermarket on their 392?

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
Vehicle Showcase
I'm not in love with that part either.
Don't you have to drill holes into the tub with Rusty's?
Same feeling here, as far as the plate and camera bracket being on piece. If the plate bracket was a separate piece that could either be used or not, the whole unit would also cater to those sticking with the stock bumper. Or even a few other options out there whose design kept the plate on the bumper. The upside if Cavfab is the parts ship out raw, which opens up the opportunity to make tweaks before having it finished.

And yeah, Rusty’s carrier has a welded on plate that extends closer to the gate handle. It has 4 bolting locations for those who opt to drill 4 holes in their tailgate. Some other members have cut that plate off before install, and I've yet to read any complaints about not adding those bolt locations.
Sponsored

supermike

First Name
mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLUR 6 speed 2021 JLUR 392
My last JL was 6200 lbs. I don’t want a 7000+ lbs 392. No tire carrier bumper for me.

OP
OP
alksion

alksion

First Name
Josiah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Rubicon 392, 21 Sahara Altitude
Occupation
Biz Owner
My last JL was 6200 lbs. I don’t want a 7000+ lbs 392. No tire carrier bumper for me.
I am probably going to wing it for a bit. If I notice issues arise I’ll look at the solutions recommended on this thread.

ShockerRacing

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mojito! Wrangler 392, 2020 Neon Gladiator
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
I'm not in love with that part either.
Don't you have to drill holes into the tub with Rusty's?
We have installed two of them and just skipped drilling the holes on the tailgate. We just put a thin piece of Rubber between the carrier and the tailgate

beast40

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon
Has anyone installed the Rusty's on a 2021 model with the new Camera design?

I see Cavfab has a separate option for the 21s.

I've been running with my spare in the bed for trips but space is getting tight, I'm looking for the best solution. Thanks!

Sponsored

Kapoosh1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I installed the metalcloak tire carrier and it's solid! No noises with my 20" wheels and 37x12.50 Mickey Thompson's.

Only issue is the camera mount but I'm told it's being redesigned and they'll send the updated part when it's available.

ShockerRacing

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Has anyone installed the Rusty's on a 2021 model with the new Camera design?

I see Cavfab has a separate option for the 21s.

I've been running with my spare in the bed for trips but space is getting tight, I'm looking for the best solution. Thanks!
We installed it on our 2021 392, with no issues.

Fouts

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Rubicon Unlimited
I installed the metalcloak tire carrier and it's solid! No noises with my 20" wheels and 37x12.50 Mickey Thompson's.

Only issue is the camera mount but I'm told it's being redesigned and they'll send the updated part when it's available.
The camera mount is a huge problem. Caused me to break my camera. They did not offer me the redesign so i would definately stay away from metalcoak.

jack bauer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Rubicon XR 3.6
Occupation
Finance
Same feeling here, as far as the plate and camera bracket being on piece. If the plate bracket was a separate piece that could either be used or not, the whole unit would also cater to those sticking with the stock bumper. Or even a few other options out there whose design kept the plate on the bumper. The upside if Cavfab is the parts ship out raw, which opens up the opportunity to make tweaks before having it finished.

And yeah, Rusty’s carrier has a welded on plate that extends closer to the gate handle. It has 4 bolting locations for those who opt to drill 4 holes in their tailgate. Some other members have cut that plate off before install, and I've yet to read any complaints about not adding those bolt locations.
Not tracking.
Are you saying it is possible to use the cavfab carrier with the stock bumper and still keep the license plate in the stock bumper location and then just use the camera bracket standalone?

ShockerRacing

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Not tracking.
Are you saying it is possible to use the cavfab carrier with the stock bumper and still keep the license plate in the stock bumper location and then just use the camera bracket standalone?
From what I was told is that you don’t have to move the license plate, but the bracket that holds the camera is one piece with the license plate holder so it would look funny without a plate on it.

Sponsored

jack bauer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Rubicon XR 3.6
Occupation
Finance
From what I was told is that you don’t have to move the license plate, but the bracket that holds the camera is one piece with the license plate holder so it would look funny without a plate on it.
got it. ugh

ozon8r

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 392 Hydro Blue
Build Thread
Link
I did not add the Mopar tailgate reinforced part knowing that I was going to upgrade the hinge and tire carrier once received. I now have my 392, two weeks as of today and 2300 miles already. I went with the Teraflex option for both hinge replacement and tire carrier preferring a no drill install and option to include the third brake light. Much like the OP, I prefer for now the look of the OEM bumper. I also installed 37" KO2s. The install was pretty simple with no issues. There is about 2" of room to spare between the tire on top mounting location and the OEM bumper leaving open the option to install larger tires, maybe 40s in the future.
Jeep Wrangler JL Hinge Gate Reinforcement. Who went aftermarket on their 392? IMG_1445

OP
OP
alksion

alksion

First Name
Josiah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Rubicon 392, 21 Sahara Altitude
Occupation
Biz Owner
I did not add the Mopar tailgate reinforced part knowing that I was going to upgrade the hinge and tire carrier once received. I now have my 392, two weeks as of today and 2300 miles already. I went with the Teraflex option for both hinge replacement and tire carrier preferring a no drill install and option to include the third brake light. Much like the OP, I prefer for now the look of the OEM bumper. I also installed 37" KO2s. The install was pretty simple with no issues. There is about 2" of room to spare between the tire on top mounting location and the OEM bumper leaving open the option to install larger tires, maybe 40s in the future.
Jeep Wrangler JL Hinge Gate Reinforcement. Who went aftermarket on their 392? IMG_1445
Thank you for your post. Can you clarify you put these tires on the standard hinge gate and tire kit until you purchased the TeraFlex unit later on?

Carolina Jeeper

First Name
Rollie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mojito! Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Electronics Technician at R. J. Reynolds
I have a Rusty's tailgate and spare mount reinforcement kit on my Rubicon. It's more than a hinge upgrade. It strengthens the gate much better than what the factory hinges or the mopar upgrade offers. There are no flimsy plastic pieces in the Rusty's tailgate kit. All metal holding up the spare tire and brake light too.
The spare tire mount is adjustable to accommodate bigger tires and wheels.

Carolina Jeeper

First Name
Rollie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mojito! Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Electronics Technician at R. J. Reynolds
We have installed two of them and just skipped drilling the holes on the tailgate. We just put a thin piece of Rubber between the carrier and the tailgate
That's exactly how I installed mine.
Sponsored