Sponsored

Hinge Gate Reinforcement option not available with eTorque engines in Sahara/Rubicon/4xe (2021) - Why?

moments.by.ron

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Sahara 4xe
So for some reason the hinge gate reinforcement is not available with eTorque engines (V6) for the Sahara and Rubicon, or the 4xe (2.0L eTorque). It's available for all the Sport models/variants with the 3.6 V6 eTorque, but not for the higher trims. It's like that in the current order guide (literally says "N/A w/ERG"), and online build&price when you select the 3.6L on those trims, it deselects the hinge gate.

Is there a logical reason for this?
Sponsored

OP
OP
moments.by.ron

moments.by.ron

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Sahara 4xe
If you'd like to spend less and get more, don't waste your time with the Mopar add-ons. The aftermarket is where you should look.
For a purchase that's definitely true, but I plan to lease - but the aftermarket is still a possibility - I was more trying to understand what an engine having eTorque has to do with why the option was not available - seems completely unrelated.

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
Vehicle Showcase
For a purchase that's definitely true, but I plan to lease - but the aftermarket is still a possibility - I was more trying to understand what an engine having eTorque has to do with why the option was not available - seems completely unrelated.
Oh, it's a lease. OK, entirely different story. But being a lease, I wouldn't sweat the need for one. A true hinged tailgate reinforcement is more of a long game concern.

Also, I agree with it being strange.

Out of curiosity, what size tire do you plan on using, and what's your intended use for the Jeep? Rubicon or Sahara?

OP
OP
moments.by.ron

moments.by.ron

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Sahara 4xe
Oh, it's a lease. OK, entirely different story. But being a lease, I wouldn't sweat the need for one. A true hinged tailgate reinforcement is more of a long game concern.

Also, I agree with it being strange.

Out of curiosity, what size tire do you plan on using, and what's your intended use for the Jeep? Rubicon or Sahara?
Have not decided on Rubicon or Sahara, but leaning Rubicon, but going with the a 4xe. Daily driver and some routine off-road (mainly to get to off-the-beaten-path trails and photo-ops), planning a mild lift and 35s - combo of looks and functionality.

Sponsored

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Have not decided on Rubicon or Sahara, but leaning Rubicon, but going with the a 4xe. Daily driver and some routine off-road (mainly to get to off-the-beaten-path trails and photo-ops), planning a mild lift and 35s - combo of looks and functionality.
If going Rubicon, 35's or their metric equivalents (315/70-17) will fit on factory wheels and no lift. And with a lift, you wouldn't need more than about 2" to compliment the 35's, in both looks and function. Heres a couple of pics of my Rubi. 1st is all stock with a set of 315/70-17 bfgoodrich ko2's, and the second is with the Dynatrac Endurosport 2" lift. It was a great improvement over the factory springs and shocks. 3rd is screwing around at work. Could've gone further up, but I have a custom hitch receiver cover that hangs about 6" from the receiver.
Jeep Wrangler JL Hinge Gate Reinforcement option not available with eTorque engines in Sahara/Rubicon/4xe (2021) - Why? 20190827_132710
Jeep Wrangler JL Hinge Gate Reinforcement option not available with eTorque engines in Sahara/Rubicon/4xe (2021) - Why? 20191222_153839
Jeep Wrangler JL Hinge Gate Reinforcement option not available with eTorque engines in Sahara/Rubicon/4xe (2021) - Why? 20200216_160203

Mmorreale

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Sahara Altitude 3.0 EcoDiesel
Occupation
Retired (disabled) Firefighter
If going Rubicon, 35's or their metric equivalents (315/70-17) will fit on factory wheels and no lift. And with a lift, you wouldn't need more than about 2" to compliment the 35's, in both looks and function. Heres a couple of pics of my Rubi. 1st is all stock with a set of 315/70-17 bfgoodrich ko2's, and the second is with the Dynatrac Endurosport 2" lift. It was a great improvement over the factory springs and shocks. 3rd is screwing around at work. Could've gone further up, but I have a custom hitch receiver cover that hangs about 6" from the receiver.
Jeep Wrangler JL Hinge Gate Reinforcement option not available with eTorque engines in Sahara/Rubicon/4xe (2021) - Why? 20200216_160203
Looks great! Did you have to have spacers to run factory wheels on 35s for your Rubicon?

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Looks great! Did you have to have spacers to run factory wheels on 35s for your Rubicon?
No, I didn't use wheel spacers at both stock height or with the 2" lift. I had some very light rubbing on the Synergy front lower control arms and the back of the rear fender liners at full stuff. The steering stops on the knuckles can be adjusted out and the bump out on the rear liners can be easily reshaped with a heat gun.

Mmorreale

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
No, I didn't use wheel spacers at both stock height or with the 2" lift. I had some very light rubbing on the Synergy front lower control arms and the back of the rear fender liners at full stuff. The steering stops on the knuckles can be adjusted out and the bump out on the rear liners can be easily reshaped with a heat gun.
Since I’m disabled I won’t be going on any extreme trail so I don’t think I would be rubbing at that point. Do you think it would be good for no spacers for a light off Road/mall crawler?

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Since I’m disabled I won’t be going on any extreme trail so I don’t think I would be rubbing at that point. Do you think it would be good for no spacers for a light off Road/mall crawler?
I just noticed you have a Sahara. My comments were in regards to a Rubicon. The axles under the Sahara and Sport models are 1.5" shorter than the Rubicon axles, so each wheel position is about .75" closer to the frame and underbits. The factory suspension is also about 1.5" shorter on the standard Saharas and Sports, but I'm not sure if that is the same with your Altitude version. I can't say for sure that they will fit as easily, due to the narrower axles. I've seen plenty of members here get by with factory Rubicon tires, which are 285/70-17 and are a smaller metric equivalent to a 33x11.5 tire. The 315/70-17 is a smaller 35x12.5, and it's that extra width that becomes an issue on stock wheels without spacers.

Maybe someone with more Sahara knowledge can be of some better help, like @aldo98229

Sponsored

Mmorreale

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
I just noticed you have a Sahara. My comments were in regards to a Rubicon. The axles under the Sahara and Sport models are 1.5" shorter than the Rubicon axles, so each wheel position is about .75" closer to the frame and underbits. The factory suspension is also about 1.5" shorter on the standard Saharas and Sports, but I'm not sure if that is the same with your Altitude version. I can't say for sure that they will fit as easily, due to the narrower axles. I've seen plenty of members here get by with factory Rubicon tires, which are 285/70-17 and are a smaller metric equivalent to a 33x11.5 tire. The 315/70-17 is a smaller 35x12.5, and it's that extra width that becomes an issue on stock wheels without spacers.

Maybe someone with more Sahara knowledge can be of some better help, like @aldo98229
I’m actually replacing the Sahara with a Rubicon 4XE so I’m getting prepared. I don’t want to run spacers but I love the stock wheel look. I found a set of Moab wheels for a good deal. My other option is quadratec makes a replica wheel that has a better offset and is 1 inch wider. Do you think that would be better?

https://www.quadratec.com/p/quadratec/morphic-wheel-wrangler-jl-jk

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I’m actually replacing the Sahara with a Rubicon 4XE so I’m getting prepared. I don’t want to run spacers but I love the stock wheel look. I found a set of Moab wheels for a good deal. My other option is quadratec makes a replica wheel that has a better offset and is 1 inch wider. Do you think that would be better?

Oh OK, so less of a concern with the wider axles and taller suspension.

The factory wheels are 17x7.5 with a +44.45mm (iirc) offset. A +10 offset will shift the face of the wheel outward by approx 1-5/16". The 1" added wheel width will push each bead out 1/2", so that would bring the face of the new wheel out a total of about 1-13/16" over the factory wheel.

If it were me, I'd go with the new wheels. They'll help to avoid any clearance issues, will add some side to side stability both on and off road, and the added width will not void the tire manufacturers warranty. Many, including myself, have run 315's on factory 7.5" wheels without issue, but it's technically just under the recommended width for 315's and 35's. Some tire shops will actually refuse to mount them, for potential liability concerns.

I have found the website tiresize.com to be very useful. Check out their tire and wheel comparisons, which give a great visual and specific clearance changes.

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase

Yes, I’d go with the Quadratec wheels. They give you not only better offset, but also 1-inch extra width, which you will need to mount a 35x12.5 tire.

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase

rickinAZ

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon EcoDiesel (11th Jeep)
Occupation
Retired CFO. Mayo Clinic volunteer.
Ron, is the strong resale value reflected adequately in the residual?
Sponsored