First Name
Skip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler JL Sport S
Occupation
Happily retired
My son bought a 2021 Gladiator left over about a month ago. I was at his house the other day and telling him to be on the lookout for the paint bubbling around the hinges. Then when I took a close look at his I saw that there's a thin black gasket between the hinge and the door skin, no steel to aluminum contact. Apparently someone at Jeep finally got the memo. Are they doing the same on the 21, 22 and 23 Wranglers? Is there a gasket there? My paint is bubbling and when I get it repaired I'll make sure to tell the dealer that I want the gaskets put in if they're available.
Sponsored

Dyolfknip74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon
My son bought a 2021 Gladiator left over about a month ago. I was at his house the other day and telling him to be on the lookout for the paint bubbling around the hinges. Then when I took a close look at his I saw that there's a thin black gasket between the hinge and the door skin, no steel to aluminum contact. Apparently someone at Jeep finally got the memo. Are they doing the same on the 21, 22 and 23 Wranglers? Is there a gasket there? My paint is bubbling and when I get it repaired I'll make sure to tell the dealer that I want the gaskets put in if they're available.
Also. There is no steel to aluminum contact. Both parts are aluminium.

OP
OP
Captain Skip

Captain Skip

First Name
Skip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler JL Sport S
Occupation
Happily retired
Hinges and doors are aluminum, the bolt holding them on is steel so there is some steel to aluminum contact. I'm just more interested in finding out if the gaskets exist - couldn't find them on the Mopar parts listings online - for future replacement.

Morrepe

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 2 dr Sarge Green Willys, Soft Top 3.6L MT
I thought the hinges were steel and the door skins aluminum?
I think the bolts are steel and the hinges/door panels aluminum. That's what causes the corrosion, so gaskets are of limited use in preventing the problem.

Sponsored

Dyolfknip74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon
Hinges and doors are aluminum, the bolt holding them on is steel so there is some steel to aluminum contact. I'm just more interested in finding out if the gaskets exist - couldn't find them on the Mopar parts listings online - for future replacement.
The bolt goes through the hinges into another steel keeper nut. A gasket won't do anything. I personally think it's has to do with shitty paint before galvanic corrosion kicks in but that is conjecture.

OldBlue

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
See my Signature
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Aerospace Forgings Test Lab
Vehicle Showcase
@Dyolfknip74 is correct - aluminum hinges and doors, and steel bolts and plates to accept those bolts within the doors. My '21 does not have gaskets, and neither does my daughter's '22 (or my wife's '20 for that matter).

Dyolfknip74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon
Maybe the gaskets have more to do with being able to adjust door for closure/fitment?
I've had all mine off. Got them LineX'd and put them back on myself. Adjusting fitment isn't hard at all. I think Jeep is adding the gaskets for piece of mind but I'm betting we are going to start seeing corroded ones with the gasket as well.

p1800es

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Volvo 1800ES, Jeep Wrangler JL 2 Door Rubicon
Hello all.
I am writing from Switzerland. What are the part numbers for the door hinge gasket, the hood hinge gasket and the rear door hinge gasket? Can anyone tell me? My Rubi does not have any bubbles yet, but I would like to prevent. I can't find anything in the current parts catalog yet
Thanks.

Sponsored

Dyolfknip74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon
Hello all.
I am writing from Switzerland. What are the part numbers for the door hinge gasket, the hood hinge gasket and the rear door hinge gasket? Can anyone tell me? My Rubi does not have any bubbles yet, but I would like to prevent. I can't find anything in the current parts catalog yet
Thanks.
No one with them has pulled hinges off to see what they even are.
In saying that, you pulling your own hinges off and putting them on won't stop bubbling.

JP52

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLU Rubicon XR
Hello all.
Thanks.
If you pull them off you will probably void the corrosion warranty if your jeep is still covered by one.

Quadjeeper

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 392XR
Occupation
retired
Problem is even without dissimilar metals the corrosion still happens and has for years on aluminum panels. Chrysler and Ford both have had issues on hoods.
Sponsored