Hinge based Tire Carrier upgrades

BLLFRG

First Name
Russell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-150 FX4
Trying to see what hinge based tire carrier options are out there. I know of the Ace Stand Alone Tire Carrier, EVO MFG HD Hinged Tire Carrier and MOTOBILT Tire Carriers. Price between these 3 is nominal when you add the additional bracket for the MOTOBILT. I have not seen a lot of side pics of these, but from what I have seen, I think the ACE will stick out more than the other 2. Anyone know of or running a difference option?
Sponsored

clobato

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JLUR 392
I have the Ace carrier and really like it. I’d say you’re correct in your statement that the Ace sticks out farther. I haven’t measured it, but it probably sticks out about 2-3” from the tailgate.

The Ace seems to be pretty robust and should meet my needs for quite some time. I currently have a 37 on there and it opens and closes smoothly and easily. There looks like there is plenty of clearance to go up to a 40 with ease. There is no noticeable movement in the spare while driving on the road. The Ace also adds the flexibility of adding two rotopax, a high lift jack (with the optional mount plate), and a CB antenna. It also includes the license plate and camera relocation bracket.

I’d say the only real drawback would be that the spare sits pretty high with the Ace. My 37 covers all but the top couple inches of the back window.

The Evo and Motobilt carriers look nice, and I probably would have opted for one of them if Ace didn’t have their killer Black Friday sale. One thing to keep in mind with at least the Motobilt, you’ll need to get it painted or powder coated. Depending on which route you take, that may add $100-$200 to the cost.

PowerGuy

First Name
Mac
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUS StingGray
I have the Rugged Ridge sitting in the garage just waiting on me to sober up a little to install

LunchBoxFab

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
i like my EVO hinge. on the lowest setting, it sits my 37 KM3 right on the bumper and i can still see out of the back. very solid unit. that being said, their solution for the third brake light is flimsy and is based on 3 VERY small screws that hold the camera on as well. not the best...

i would have bought the motobuit one, but i needed a carrier before they were ready.

OP
OP

BLLFRG

First Name
Russell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-150 FX4
I have the Ace carrier and really like it. I’d say you’re correct in your statement that the Ace sticks out farther. I haven’t measured it, but it probably sticks out about 2-3” from the tailgate.

The Ace seems to be pretty robust and should meet my needs for quite some time. I currently have a 37 on there and it opens and closes smoothly and easily. There looks like there is plenty of clearance to go up to a 40 with ease. There is no noticeable movement in the spare while driving on the road. The Ace also adds the flexibility of adding two rotopax, a high lift jack (with the optional mount plate), and a CB antenna. It also includes the license plate and camera relocation bracket.

I’d say the only real drawback would be that the spare sits pretty high with the Ace. My 37 covers all but the top couple inches of the back window.

The Evo and Motobilt carriers look nice, and I probably would have opted for one of them if Ace didn’t have their killer Black Friday sale. One thing to keep in mind with at least the Motobilt, you’ll need to get it painted or powder coated. Depending on which route you take, that may add $100-$200 to the cost.
Having to paint/powder coast is a consideration worth taking into account for sure. It would make the MOTO, and EVO (if not opting for the black) more expensive. I think both are situated "tighter" to the gate, which may or may not be a big deal. Have you had any issues with yours since you've had it? ACE was the first I was considering, but was leaning towards the other two. The discussion about the 3rd brake light with regards to the EVO is a concern. Paint/Powdercoat of the MOTO is another consideration.

Sponsored

clobato

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JLUR 392
Having to paint/powder coast is a consideration worth taking into account for sure. It would make the MOTO, and EVO (if not opting for the black) more expensive. I think both are situated "tighter" to the gate, which may or may not be a big deal. Have you had any issues with yours since you've had it? ACE was the first I was considering, but was leaning towards the other two. The discussion about the 3rd brake light with regards to the EVO is a concern. Paint/Powdercoat of the MOTO is another consideration.
My only issue was alignment during installation. If you watch the new JL specific video that Ace put out, you shouldn’t have any issues.

Motobilt

First Name
Bobby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon
Here are some pics of the Motobilt tire carrier to try and help out.
Also here is a video show casing our tire carrier with a 40" tire out in Moab

IMG_1661.JPG

IMG_1768.JPG

IMG_6669.jpeg
Sponsored