Hill descent control

Dubeau9005

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU Sport S, 2010 GMC Sierra 1500
Can anyone tell me which JLUs come with Hill Descent? I can’t seem to find an answer here and the manual I found online says “if equipped”. So what is needed to have this feature equipped? I’ve ordered a sport S auto with the optional rear diff and tech package.

Thanks
Sponsored

OP
OP
Dubeau9005

Dubeau9005

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU Sport S, 2010 GMC Sierra 1500
The 8 speed auto includes Hill Descent Control. 6 speed manual doesn't have it.
Perfect. Thanks for the info. Makes sense. Couldn’t figure out if it was included in a package/Rubicon only/etc.

JASPER

First Name
Wayolife Sucks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon and 2014 JK 2dr
Hill decent sound like your axles are falling off.. fyi.. can only use it in 4lo

Brew211

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLURM, Tundra, 2022 JLU 392 XR
Vehicle Showcase
The 8 speed auto includes Hill Descent Control. 6 speed manual doesn't have it.
Why would the 6 speed not have it? Do they assume you would be in a lower gear and engine brake?

Sponsored

sigsegv

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 392
Why would the 6 speed not have it? Do they assume you would be in a lower gear and engine brake?
The automatic's shifter is the user interface to control hill descent control - you choose the speed with the 'manual' mode. The 6 speed manual has a mechanical linkage to the transmission, and so there's no way it could be used to set a speed. I'm guessing this is why.

Brew211

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLURM, Tundra, 2022 JLU 392 XR
Vehicle Showcase
The automatic's shifter is the user interface to control hill descent control - you choose the speed with the 'manual' mode. The 6 speed manual has a mechanical linkage to the transmission, and so there's no way it could be used to set a speed. I'm guessing this is why.
Copy, thanks.

RubyRed

First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Sport S
Hill decent sound like your axles are falling off.. fyi.. can only use it in 4lo
I finally had a chance to use hill decent and it sounds like it’s intermittently groaning all the way. I guess this is normal? I kept wanting to turn it off because I thought something was wrong. That being said, it works great other than the noise.

TRZ

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR, Ocean Blue
I finally had a chance to use hill decent and it sounds like it’s intermittently groaning all the way. I guess this is normal? I kept wanting to turn it off because I thought something was wrong. That being said, it works great other than the noise.
It’s applying the brakes to maintain speed, so it sounds a lot like ABS. Perfectly normal.

Sponsored

D60

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
I don't understand the HDC at all - seems to me it's just always riding the brakes, which is something I just can't support.

If it works for others, fine, but I've spent too many years driving the right way I guess

Tjbrlecic1

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Rubicon
We played with ours around the house. The hills are steep in the yard. I thought it was a nice feature.
Tried it on the trail once. Didn’t like it. I would rather do the driving.

OldBird

First Name
Timothy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mojito! JLUR
Used mine on trail once - a steep downhill with a number of obstacles all the way down. It was perfect for that because I could focus on the line rather than the speed. I don't use it on smooth descents when speed is more important than lines.