First Name
Lou
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubi. Granite Crystal
Occupation
Realtor
I have a JLUR with 8 speed auto and just got back from a light test run since getting a mopar 2" lift and putting 35 X 12.50's on and an issue popped up which didn't happen before.

When I turned on the hill decent control, it wouldn't give me access to manual shifting. It just showed a D on center gauge. I tried starting in Drive then switching over to the manual. Then I tried starting in the manual and when i hit the hill decent button. the center gauge changed from M1 to D. The center gauge did give me an alert that the hill decent was activated and that I should shift gears to control speed, but wouldn't give me the ability to shift gears (I should add, it did control the speed going down as if it was in M1, but no ability to shift and only showed D on screen)

I previously used the hill decent control before I got the lift and larger tires and it worked perfectly, I actually had to move it to M3 to get down the hill a little quicker (This was the best feature of all)

Any Ideas of what is causing this issue?
Sponsored

Last edited:

Jeepsterfreak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda, Future JLU
I have a JLUR with 8 speed auto and just got back from a light test run since getting a mopar 2" lift and putting 35 X 12.50's on and an issue popped up which didn't happen before.

When I turned on the hill decent control, it wouldn't give me access to manual shifting. It just showed a D on center gauge. I tried starting in Drive then switching over to the manual. Then I tried starting in the manual and when i hit the hill decent button. the center gauge changed from M1 to D. The center gauge did give me an alert that the hill decent was activated and that I should shift gears to control speed, but wouldn't give me the ability to shift gears (I should add, it did control the speed going down as if it was in M1, but no ability to shift and only showed D on screen)

I previously used the hill decent control before I got the lift and larger tires and it worked perfectly, I actually had to move it to M3 to get down the hill a little quicker (This was the best feature of all)

Not trying to be a jerk, but have you read the owner’s manual? There is a lot of information regarding the use of HDC. It’s a fairly complex system.

The manual gear selector is used to select speed, not gears.

NOTE: During HDC the +/- shifter input is used for HDC target speed selection, but will not affect the gear chosen by the transmission. When actively controlling HDC the trans- mission will shift appropriately for the driver-selected set speed and corresponding driving conditions.

OP
OP
JL2018

JL2018

First Name
Lou
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Realtor
Not trying to be a jerk, but have you read the owner’s manual? There is a lot of information regarding the use of HDC. It’s a fairly complex system.

The manual gear selector is used to select speed, not gears.

NOTE: During HDC the +/- shifter input is used for HDC target speed selection, but will not affect the gear chosen by the transmission. When actively controlling HDC the trans- mission will shift appropriately for the driver-selected set speed and corresponding driving conditions.
That is the problem--- When I push the hill decent control button, it removes any option to use the manual shift. Even though the shifter is over to the left in Manual mode, it shows D on the center console. I've tried pushing the button while in M1 and it changes it to D.

I just tried it again yesterday,

JASPER

First Name
Wayolife Sucks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon and 2014 JK 2dr
OMG the noise it makes using hill descent is horrid .. cant be right

subiescott77

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon
That is the problem--- When I push the hill decent control button, it removes any option to use the manual shift. Even though the shifter is over to the left in Manual mode, it shows D on the center console. I've tried pushing the button while in M1 and it changes it to D.

We're you in 4WD LO and under 30mph? Page 92 of the User Guide.

Sponsored

Jeepsterfreak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda, Future JLU

The owner's manual states that the +/- shifter (autostick) is not used to shift gears but sets the descent speed. The transmission will stay in automatic mode. I'm not sure if you are suppose to see the gears in the cluster when HDC is activated. I believe there is a setting in the control panel that will display the current gear D1-D8.

If you were able to increase or decrease the speed with the manual shifter as you stated in the first post, then it sounds like it is working properly.

Also on page 311:

NOTE: When Hill Descent Control is enabled, AutoStick is not active.

214.jpg

215.jpg

216.jpg

Last edited:

JASPER

First Name
Wayolife Sucks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
why does it sound like the axles are falling off??

OP
OP
JL2018

JL2018

First Name
Lou
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Realtor
The owner's manual states that the +/- shifter (autostick) is not used to shift gears but sets the descent speed. The transmission will stay in automatic mode. I'm not sure if you are suppose to see the gears in the cluster when HDC is activated. I believe there is a setting in the control panel that will display the current gear D1-D8.

If you were able to increase or decrease the speed with the manual shifter as you stated in the first post, then it sounds like it is working properly.

Also on page 311:

NOTE: When Hill Descent Control is enabled, AutoStick is not active.

214.jpg

215.jpg

216.jpg
The first time I used HDC it worked fantastic, (Yes you have to be in 4 wd low or HDC wont activate). Like i said, the first time it worked great, in fact I had to shift into 3rd to make it go down a little faster and more smoothly. I only use it when on steep hills (these hills were 30 to 33 degrees) ......so I'm definitely under 30 MPH:):):)

Since I got the MOPAR 2" lift and new 35" tires. (the only mods since I last used HDC) it now shows only D on the console (I also have mine set to always show the current gear) and wont allow me to upshift or downshift while in HDC and it does go down the hill very slowly so I can use it when needed, but I want it to work the way it's supposed to and be able to upshift

OP
OP
JL2018

JL2018

First Name
Lou
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Realtor
OP
OP
JL2018

JL2018

First Name
Lou
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Realtor
We're you in 4WD LO and under 30mph? Page 92 of the User Guide.
Yes. I only use on steep hills. and the HDC works, it just wont allow me to shift to go a little faster

Sponsored

JASPER

First Name
Wayolife Sucks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
play a sound video of your in 4lo with on going down steep decent.

Tony08

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JKU Rubicon

Old post but did you ever figure this out? Had the same thing happen to me today. Could not adjust the speed up or down.
Sponsored