Highway pressure for 37's on a 392XR?

Chris-AZ

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Various
I have a 392 XR, came with 35's but I put 37's on (BFG KM3) stock XR wheels (which I think are 8.5" wide with 4.5" backspace). What would be the ideal tire pressure for street/highway? I have a Tazer to reset the target.
Sponsored

richk225

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 392Rubicon XR 2017 Jeep Grand Cherokee
Occupation
retired due to broken back
I have a 2021 392 Rubicon XR that I had 37" BFG KO2`s put on before I picked it up, I also had a 2021 392 with 35" BFG KO2`s. I believe the XR is an 8' wide wheel
Also a Ford Raptor with the same 35'`s on it
There is a lot of debate on what pressure to run, you can do a tire chalk test, follow what is on the vehicle mfg sticker.
I personally run 34 psi in the front and 32 psi in the rear and it suites me just fine. You can listen to what people have run, and it depends if you are driving a empty Jeep with 2 people or a loaded up one with 4 people and gear along with what accessories you have added to yours. You can always air up when loaded up and air down when your just cruising the highway. My Raptor was a whole different story, the ass end would skip left or right at highway speed (65 plus) when it hit a gap in the road or expansion joint on a bridge. I tried all different tire pressures and nothing worked and after reading up on the issue on the Raptor forums the rear leaf springs were the culprit. I had changed them and never had an issue at any tire pressure, Raptors are now using coil springs in the rear so that should solve that problem

stumblinhorse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 392
a lot of variables in tire psi. So try a psi and adjust. Remember 1 psi increase per 10 degrees increase in temp of air in the tire, on average. So I set to 30psi 1st thing in the morning when I check. That might get to 35-36 in The heat of the day on the hiway. It is cold here in the morning in my garage. You might be outside and in the sun in the AM when you check. I never want more than 35 psi in my tires at their hottest, so I adjust based upon highest psi.

guarnibl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLUR 392 XR, '21 JTR, '21 JLR, '09 JK
I have mine (KM3) 37" set to 32 psi cold.

richk225

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
a lot of variables in tire psi. So try a psi and adjust. Remember 1 psi increase per 10 degrees increase in temp of air in the tire, on average. So I set to 30psi 1st thing in the morning when I check. That might get to 35-36 in The heat of the day on the hiway. It is cold here in the morning in my garage. You might be outside and in the sun in the AM when you check. I never want more than 35 psi in my tires at their hottest, so I adjust based upon highest psi.
I agree with you, when I picked up my 392 XR it had 37 psi in all 4 tires and after a hour of driving this went up to 40 psi. I have always run nitrogen in my tires to combat this problem, one benefit of Costco. There are other ways to purchase it and it does make the tire run cooler and not suffer as much air loss due to being a gas that is more dense than air

Sponsored

Terpsmandan

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR Diesel, 2022 JLUR Diesel
I have a JLURD with a Mopar lift and 37" KO2's I started at 35 and then to 32 psi but when I ran over a puddle the tire track that it left was not a full tread. I am running 30psi now and thinking that might be still too much. I am going to chalk the tires soon the check it out.

guarnibl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I have a JLURD with a Mopar lift and 37" KO2's I started at 35 and then to 32 psi but when I ran over a puddle the tire track that it left was not a full tread. I am running 30psi now and thinking that might be still too much. I am going to chalk the tires soon the check it out.
Yeah, always should chalk test. For me, 32 psi was the right number on my KM3's. My KO2's I run at 27. Could just be weight differences or something, not sure. Both are D rated. 37" KO2s on my JTRD, 37" KM3's on my 392XR.

or I'm terrible at chalk testing :)

richk225

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Yeah, always should chalk test. For me, 32 psi was the right number on my KM3's. My KO2's I run at 27. Could just be weight differences or something, not sure. Both are D rated. 37" KO2s on my JTRD, 37" KM3's on my 392XR.

or I'm terrible at chalk testing :)
The best part about a chalk test back in the day was you got to throw the eraser at someone.
I have seen guys use a spray bottle of water to lightly wet the tread down and then give it a roll over something flat, I have used a piece of plywood when I was not at my garage, but you are 100% correct in that every Jeep is set up differently and tire pressure is just part of the equation. My neighbor bought a GMC pick up and was running 75 psi in the tires, I swear you would loose a filling if you rode in that truck, he did not understand how to read the sidewall and just went to the max

guarnibl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The best part about a chalk test back in the day was you got to throw the eraser at someone.
I have seen guys use a spray bottle of water to lightly wet the tread down and then give it a roll over something flat, I have used a piece of plywood when I was not at my garage, but you are 100% correct in that every Jeep is set up differently and tire pressure is just part of the equation. My neighbor bought a GMC pick up and was running 75 psi in the tires, I swear you would loose a filling if you rode in that truck, he did not understand how to read the sidewall and just went to the max
Yeah my 3500 HD SRW came filled to something stupid like 90. I mean I know for sure when you're towing you want more pressure and everything, but damn.

Sponsored

Covet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLUR, 22 392, 22 4xe JLUR sold x3, 24 392
XR 35s, 300 miles in, dealer set them at 42. Been averaging 17 and some change mpg highway, uphill and downhill. Waiting for the temp to get to a more regular # then going to play with the psi

MSparks909

First Name
Miles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon 3.0
XR 35s, 300 miles in, dealer set them at 42. Been averaging 17 and some change mpg highway, uphill and downhill. Waiting for the temp to get to a more regular # then going to play with the psi
Lower it to 32-36 tops. It’ll ride smoother.

richk225

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
The one thing I forgot to ask you is, what motor is in your XR?