DAK_ATL

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 JK Unlimited Sport
All,

I currently drive a 2017 Wrangler Unlimited Sport w hardtop and live on a steep hill. A lot of my driving is from Atlanta to Tallahassee, Florida over some mountains. I've never gotten over 19.0 mpg even on the highway. For my city driving I am often going up steep hills.

So city driving is up and down hills, while highway driving is round trip from Tally to Atlanta, about 270 miles each way about once per week. I'm driving about 15,000 or 20,000 miles per year.

I'm considering switching to a JL with the I4 Turbo with a soft top.

Given my large round trip highway mileage and city usage, is there any real improvement in gas mileage from going from the JK V6 to the JL I4 or even the JL V6?
Sponsored

DCBlake

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
All,

I currently drive a 2017 Wrangler Unlimited Sport w hardtop and live on a steep hill. A lot of my driving is from Atlanta to Tallahassee, Florida over some mountains. I've never gotten over 19.0 mpg even on the highway. For my city driving I am often going up steep hills.

So city driving is up and down hills, while highway driving is round trip from Tally to Atlanta, about 270 miles each way about once per week. I'm driving about 15,000 or 20,000 miles per year.

I'm considering switching to a JL with the I4 Turbo with a soft top.

Given my large round trip highway mileage and city usage, is there any real improvement in gas mileage from going from the JK V6 to the JL I4 or even the JL V6?
That will depend on a few factors like tire size... if you look at the rated mpg figures for 4 cyl they look impressive provided you keep it pretty stock on the tires at 245's for a sport... My I4 Rubicon has the stock 33" 285's and around town i can get anywhere from 20 - 23 mpg... On highway depending on the road taken, if you have a head wind, etc. i get avg of 19 - 20 running at 75... the 8 speed automatic does a great job of keeping the mpg up but when i move to a lift and larger tires i expect a drop of 2 - 3 mpgs depending on size tire i will put on Jeep... I live in the hill country of FL NW of Orlando so it is by no means flat as we can reach the whopping elevation of 300+ feet... If anything i think you will find the JL a much easier commuting vehicle over the JK but i would recommend you thoroughly test drive it to see if it is something you want to do at this time... My family enjoys the new I4 and it does have quite a bit of get up and go while (in my opinion) maintaining a decent mpg for a box on wheels...

SecondTJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
You'll see a few MPG better on the 2.0 as long as you stay out of boost. Going up steep hills the turbo will provide you with more power than the 3.6, but you'll pay for that in worse mpg. Fuelly real world data shows the V6 still has slightly better fuel efficiency than the I4. Either JL engine will get better mileage than JK.

ericdrob67

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLUR EcoDiesel, '19 GMC Terrain, '16 Suburban
Vehicle Showcase
Buying a new jeep will never pay for it self in MPG savings.... If you want something that is more fun to drive, then by all means go for it! I had a 3.6 in our Town & country and test drove a 3.6 in JL before buying my 2.0... The 3.6 makes a bit more HP but less torque, but you have to wind the RPM's up.... the 2.0 feels like it doesnt have to work as hard.

There is an old adage... People buy HP, but drive torque... test drive one and compare for yourself.

I have a long history in VW TDI cars, Diesel and driving for MPG in general.... Driver habits are SINGLE biggest thing affecting MPG.... Speed(aero drag) kills mpg especially when your driving a box on wheels.

IF you buy a new 2.0 JL expecting it to get save you a bunch of $$ in MPG vs the 3.6 then you are going to be disappointed.... For example: a 10% gain in MPG is pretty good.... but in real world people look at 15mpg vs 16.5mpg and are somewhat deflated that they only get just over 1mpg better and that "its not that much"...

Qurtyslyn

First Name
Curtis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mojito JLUR
Normally, I get around 23.5 on my JLU with normal highway/city driving. Winter has been down near 22.

On the way back to SLC from Death Valley, I managed 27, but I was following my dad who was towing and we stayed around 60 most of the way back.

Sponsored

jayvis

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
You'll see a few MPG better on the 2.0 as long as you stay out of boost. Going up steep hills the turbo will provide you with more power than the 3.6, but you'll pay for that in worse mpg. Fuelly real world data shows the V6 still has slightly better fuel efficiency than the I4. Either JL engine will get better mileage than JK.
Here's my best advice. Never ever rely on Fuelly for real world data. It's never been close to my experience with any of my vehicles. As others have stated, don't expect significant gains in fuel mileage with either engine option. So far, I've seen about a 15% improvement in overall mpg from my 2.0 JL over my 3.6 JK. The biggest drivetrain improvement in the JL over the JK comes from the addition of the 8-speed auto transmission.

Jay-El

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara 2.0 Turbo
I was really skeptical about the 2.0T at first but am now a believer. I couldn’t believe that I averaged 23+ MPG going 75+. I agree with the 8 speed transmission comments as well, works great.

(PS, Turbo noises make it even cooler lol)

cbrenthus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Mojito JLUR
With the 2.0T, keep in mind that it requires premium for optimum performance. Around here I'm seeing ~70 cents more per gallon for premium. The result is that it might get a bit better fuel mileage, it will actually cost more per mile than the V6. I ordered the V6 because of this, and because I didn't want the BSG system with liquid cooled batteries ;)

FUHL

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Website
cmott426.wixsite.com
Vehicle(s)
2013 F-150 Ecoboost 2018 2-door Rubicon 2013 Range Rover Evoque
Occupation
CAD Drafter/Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
With the 2.0T, keep in mind that it requires premium for optimum performance. Around here I'm seeing ~70 cents more per gallon for premium. The result is that it might get a bit better fuel mileage, it will actually cost more per mile than the V6. I ordered the V6 because of this, and because I didn't want the BSG system with liquid cooled batteries ;)
Congratulations on your purchase.
Keep in mind, this has been discussed a thousand times, your not the first.
April 1st, All fool's day.

Jay-El

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara 2.0 Turbo
Our buddy here as a point.

But as long as we’re keeping it 100, I’m going to go ahead and admit that I could care less about gas mileage. We got a Wrangler for the experience and journeys we plan on taking in it.

But remember.. the dyno don’t lie! I don’t mind paying extra at the pump for peak performance.

Sponsored

FUHL

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Website
cmott426.wixsite.com
Vehicle(s)
2013 F-150 Ecoboost 2018 2-door Rubicon 2013 Range Rover Evoque
Occupation
CAD Drafter/Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
Our buddy here as a point.

But as long as we’re keeping it 100, I’m going to go ahead and admit that I could care less about gas mileage. We got a Wrangler for the experience and journeys we plan on taking in it.

But remember.. the dyno don’t lie! I don’t mind paying extra at the pump for peak performance.
Yep I ordered the 2.0L for the performance, not the gas mileage.