Cthehentz

First Name
Kev
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JLU
Vehicle Showcase
I have been kicking the idea of adding either a HiLift jack or a bottle jack that will be tall enough to jack up a stock Rubicon. What is everyone's take on the HiLift with stock factory steel bumpers and rock sliders?
Sponsored

fat_head

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
The scissor jack works that comes with your Jeep. I've changed a tire 100 miles from nowhere in the middle of nowhere.

Arterius2

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara 2.0L
I have been kicking the idea of adding either a HiLift jack or a bottle jack that will be tall enough to jack up a stock Rubicon. What is everyone's take on the HiLift with stock factory steel bumpers and rock sliders?
If I had to choose between the 2, another vote for bottle jack, itā€™s so much more compact than the hi-lift and way more usable lifting from the frame or axle. unless you are using the hi-lift as a manual winch in a sticky situation, which needs another conversion kit, I donā€™t ever see a need for it.

If you want to go for hi-lift, make sure you actually have jack points on your Jeep for it, such as steel bumpers or wheel straps, (Iā€™d avoid the rails since itā€™s body mounted) and that you wonā€™t mind making scuff marks on it after using it.

Otherwise, sorry to say it but most people carry the hi-lift just for the looks and never actually use it, the whole ā€˜pretentious thingā€™ fades away after a while so just buy something useful instead.

Last edited:

Roky

First Name
Roky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Like others, I too vote bottle jack itā€™s so much easier to pack with you. I would recommend a ā€œ Yā€ attachment for it to use under the axle tube. I carry a 12ā€ long piece of 2x12 for a base. Around here the biggest issue is keeping the jack from sinking into the sand instead of lifting the Jeep.:facepalm:

Sponsored

Adventure.AS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
If you need to lift a wheel, to get it out of a rut for example, a HiLift Jack and Lift-mate work well on any sized tire. It won't work for changing a tire. It can also be used to lift at the bumper.

The HiLift is also useful as a come-along type of winch for moving your Jeep or getting a tree off the trail. Obviously an electric winch would be better, but at a cost.

Last edited:

JIMBOX

First Name
JAMES
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CHEROKEE TRAILHAWK/ JEEP GLADIATOR
Occupation
RETIRED
The BOTTLE JACK is a great idea as an easy carry problem solver, but !

I've been using HiLift Jacks for over 60 years and have found the HiLift Jack can/will be an ENDLESS addition for your use and will solve problems no BOTTLE JACK will do !

I'd have to recommend both for any extended off-road use, plus if you tow an off-road trailer--the HiLift Jack is a real GODSEND-

Good luck

W.E. JIMBO

OP
OP
Cthehentz

Cthehentz

First Name
Kev
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JLU
Vehicle Showcase
Thank you for everyone's advice, I will play it safe and pick up a bottle jack, I know the scissor is great I just don't trust them. I am still recovering from a full knee replacement so my mind is working overtime from boredom and dieting to get this new jeep out on the trails.

RagTopDeluxe

First Name
Julie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Punk'n Recon
Thank you for everyone's advice, I will play it safe and pick up a bottle jack, I know the scissor is great I just don't trust them. I am still recovering from a full knee replacement so my mind is working overtime from boredom and dieting to get this new jeep out on the trails.
Good luck in your recovery! Been there. Donā€™t go shopping while on pain meds :).

I was talking about this very question with my hubby. He had a high lift jack for his JK, but recommended the bottle jack for the above reasons. Itā€™s on my list.

Sponsored

AeonFrost

First Name
Xylan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sport S Unlimited Granite Gray

Buy a Unijack, its a combo of bottke and jack stand, it can lift really high and are very safe.

OP
OP
Cthehentz

Cthehentz

First Name
Kev
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JLU
Vehicle Showcase
So my game plan is bottle jack say 20ton? then down the road I'll get the 48" HiLift and mounting kit that will store it up on the roll cage so its out of site. Hope I never need it but it'll be an option if I do.

MileHigh

First Name
Kraig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon Unlimited
Vehicle Showcase
I am looking at jacks for my JLUR as well. I saw one suggestion on getting a Unijack. Are there any specific bottle jacks that are suggested or recommended? I saw mixed reviews on the Unijack but I do like the concept. Iā€™m guessing a 4000 lb bottle jack would be enough to handle a tire change on a JLUR.

Adventure.AS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
The Jeep scissor jack should be fine for changing a tire on the side of the road. It is easier to use and safer than a bottle jack when used on flat ground.
Sponsored