JustKoch

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JL Unlimited Sahara
Vehicle Showcase
Hey folks - new to the forums - we used to have a JKU and ended up trading it in for a JLU Sahara. So question - what would be a reasonable highest lift one can do with the JLU Sahara - I know the JKU we were able to do 3.5 - but on that Jeep I had 4.13 Gears and my understanding we were good on the drive shaft. Now the 2018 JLU is a bit different, the gears are actually 3.xx (cant remember off the top of my head) and - so would a JLU be able to handle a 3.5 lift and 35" wheels with no complications - aka no need to replace drive shaft/gears/etc. Or is 2.5 more realistic?
Sponsored

Rock Krawler Suspension

First Name
Tech Support
Threads
Reaction score
Website
rockkrawler.com
Vehicle(s)
Red JLUR, White JLUR, Yellow JL (3 so far), Bikini Diesel JLU, Billet JT, Hydro Blue JT
The limitation you'll see in a 3.5 is driveshaft clearance in the front, where the drive shaft will hit the crossmember if you have enough suspension travel. 2.5" generally will be no issue at all. Front shafts aren't terribly expensive and shouldn't be a reason to hold back from 3.5". 35's on stock sahara gears are your call.

D60

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
Yeah the 8sp is pretty amazing and you could probably get away with 35's. Basically it might just rarely use 8th or even 7th so you essentially wind up with a 6 or 7 speed.

Location also plays a huge role because altitude and atmospheric pressure are SIGNIFICANT (I suppose this is where the turbo would shine). I wouldn't personally run 3.45s and 35s in the Colo mountains, but that's just me

OP
OP
JustKoch

JustKoch

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Yeah the 8sp is pretty amazing and you could probably get away with 35's. Basically it might just rarely use 8th or even 7th so you essentially wind up with a 6 or 7 speed.

Location also plays a huge role because altitude and atmospheric pressure are SIGNIFICANT (I suppose this is where the turbo would shine). I wouldn't personally run 3.45s and 35s in the Colo mountains, but that's just me
Lol Im in flat Houston Texas where it isn't even hilly. :)

OP
OP
JustKoch

JustKoch

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
The limitation you'll see in a 3.5 is driveshaft clearance in the front, where the drive shaft will hit the crossmember if you have enough suspension travel. 2.5" generally will be no issue at all. Front shafts aren't terribly expensive and shouldn't be a reason to hold back from 3.5". 35's on stock sahara gears are your call.
Thanks for the feedback I am starting to lean and look at the 2.5 - Rock Krawler Flex 2.5 actually - and then add the 35" with that. And plus the fact that my wife is short - I don't think I need to make it any higher.

Sponsored

JimLee

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLU
Thanks for the feedback I am starting to lean and look at the 2.5 - Rock Krawler Flex 2.5 actually - and then add the 35" with that. And plus the fact that my wife is short - I don't think I need to make it any higher.
The RK lifts are awesome, but the advertised height is based around the Rubicon. I got alot more than 2.5 on my kit, I wouldn't do 3.5 personally, too tall for just 35's, I'll eventually go to 37's on my 2.5 RK lift, will just need aftermarket fenders and inner fender liners (or just rip the liners out and free-ball it).

JimLee

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLU
20190505_150201_zpsonozatpk.jpg

Here's my 2019 sport with the Rock Krawler 2.5 kit on 35" ATZ P3's. You will need steps or bars that can be stepped on though, my wife is 5'9 and is still trying to figure out how to get in and out gracefully...lol

Roky

First Name
Roky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Hey folks - new to the forums - we used to have a JKU and ended up trading it in for a JLU Sahara. So question - what would be a reasonable highest lift one can do with the JLU Sahara - I know the JKU we were able to do 3.5 - but on that Jeep I had 4.13 Gears and my understanding we were good on the drive shaft. Now the 2018 JLU is a bit different, the gears are actually 3.xx (cant remember off the top of my head) and - so would a JLU be able to handle a 3.5 lift and 35" wheels with no complications - aka no need to replace drive shaft/gears/etc. Or is 2.5 more realistic?
This was my Sahara on a 3.5 inch lift and 35s , the V6 and 8 speed is a real bonus, it handled the 35s no problem. The kit I had on it came with a replacement front driveshaft. Hopefully this will help you visualize what yours might look like as far as height and tire clearance......:)

1A7EF192-E796-4089-8253-829322015DF0.jpeg

OP
OP
JustKoch

JustKoch

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Both look great - probably going to end up going with the 2.5 and 35" my wife is 5'2" so going any higher she will probably need a ladder. :p

But I love the look - gap in the 3.5 -

shekmark

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Occupation
Yes
Vehicle Showcase
I have a 2" lift and 33's (stock). Between lift and slightly taller tires, I think that would be like lifting a Sahara about 3 1/2 inches. I am 5' 10" and even with side steps it is a challenge to get in. Love it so will deal with it. I am older too, so that likely doesn't help. I would like to find a folding add on step ! Love the Roam but if dis it over I would look for a side step with a lower step.

Sponsored

ChattVol

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU 4 door
This was my Sahara on a 3.5 inch lift and 35s , the V6 and 8 speed is a real bonus, it handled the 35s no problem. The kit I had on it came with a replacement front driveshaft. Hopefully this will help you visualize what yours might look like as far as height and tire clearance......:)

1A7EF192-E796-4089-8253-829322015DF0.jpeg
Reviving old post...Did you trade/sell this sahara?

Roky

First Name
Roky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Reviving old post...Did you trade/sell this sahara?
Yeah.... I got that one originally thinking I would just add air lockers, and regear. But when I weighed it all out, it was going to be pretty expensive. I was extremely lucky, my buddy admired it from day one and said if I ever sold it to give him first crack. Well I thought it was just talk, but when I told him I was wanting a rubicon he said “ I’ll take it” . Lol. It cost me a couple grand but I got what I wanted and my buddy is happy too.

Carlton

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeeps lots of jeeps
20190505_150201_zpsonozatpk.jpg

Here's my 2019 sport with the Rock Krawler 2.5 kit on 35" ATZ P3's. You will need steps or bars that can be stepped on though, my wife is 5'9 and is still trying to figure out how to get in and out gracefully...lol
Nice color and wheel combination

20191103_161421.jpg

shekmark

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Occupation
Yes
Vehicle Showcase
How are those MT ATZ P3s on wet roads?? Great look.