Higher load rating?

MiKiEPNyC

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sahara (White w/Tan)
Looking at Nitto Ridge Grapplers 33x12.5r18 that are “F” rated... I have JLU Sahara without a life. If the psi is down what is the downside of having a higher load rating? Or what are the benefits of a higher load rating? Please help! These are going on today.
Sponsored

Karl_in_Chicago

First Name
Karl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Acura RL, Chevrolet Corvette, Harley-Davidson FLHTC Electra-Glide Classic
Looking at Nitto Ridge Grapplers 33x12.5r18 that are “F” rated... I have JLU Sahara without a life. If the psi is down what is the downside of having a higher load rating? Or what are the benefits of a higher load rating? Please help! These are going on today.
Higher load rating is really what it sounds like - the load a given corner/tire can take, as supported by the manufacturer, is higher than a similar tire with a lower rating. F rating is pretty high for a light truck, typically north of 3K lbs. Seems like you are installing a significantly stiffer tire to support a total load that the Jeep itself isn't rated for.

Fuel Fire Desire

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S, 2020 JT Sport
Higher load ratings have additional plies in their construction, but will also ride more harsh and will be more stiff. F is quite high for a Wrangler.

D60

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
Eh theoretically it won't flex the sidewall as well when aired down. In reality I'm not sure it matters much.

Load Range F in a tire like that suggests it was built for bro dozers, not lightweight Wranglers

That said, you could probably use 'em for their lifetime with nary an issue....

I'd probably look for some Load Range C's just 'cause they'll likely be cheaper

Arterius2

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara 2.0L
just means your shocks and your butt/back will be doing more of the absorption work rather than your tires.

Shocks will have lower life expectancy, not too sure about your back though.

Sponsored

OP
OP
MiKiEPNyC

MiKiEPNyC

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sahara (White w/Tan)
Now looking at the 285/70r18’s... They’re an “E” rating... I really like the Ridge Grappler and wanted to stay on 18’s... Fingers crossed I like the ride...

8flat

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
I'd really try and aim for a C or D rated tire imo
I've had so many issues with flats on 6 ply tires ("C" rated) I would NEVER run them on anything that leaves the pavement. They're garbage. And I've tried multiple brands, nothing cheap, all expensive tires. Never again. 10Plies only for me ("E" rated).

Wife and I have put ~400k miles on 10 ply tires since switching, we live on a nasty gravel road, and never have flats. Ever. Even with giant nails/screws/lag bolts rammed completely through the face of the tire, it's only a slow leak, we always have time to get to town to get it fixed the next day. 10ply tires are amazing. 6 ply tires are for pavement queens.

InvertedLogic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 JTR
I've had so many issues with flats on 6 ply tires ("C" rated) I would NEVER run them on anything that leaves the pavement. They're garbage. And I've tried multiple brands, nothing cheap, all expensive tires. Never again. 10Plies only for me ("E" rated).

Wife and I have put ~400k miles on 10 ply tires since switching, we live on a nasty gravel road, and never have flats. Ever. Even with giant nails/screws/lag bolts rammed completely through the face of the tire, it's only a slow leak, we always have time to get to town to get it fixed the next day. 10ply tires are amazing. 6 ply tires are for pavement queens.

Anecdotes are fun. I had the opposite experience with my TJ. I had C rated tires regularly down to 10-12psi doing some nasty sidewall climbs on trails at Rausch and in SWVA. Zero problems. The next set of tires I had were E rated and rode like hot garbage, they were way too heavy and way to stiff for that vehicle and similar off road performance. I have never seen a gravel road tear up a proper AT tire, regardless of load rating.

8flat

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Anecdotes are fun. I had the opposite experience with my TJ. I had C rated tires regularly down to 10-12psi doing some nasty sidewall climbs on trails at Rausch and in SWVA. Zero problems. The next set of tires I had were E rated and rode like hot garbage, they were way too heavy and way to stiff for that vehicle and similar off road performance. I have never seen a gravel road tear up a proper AT tire, regardless of load rating.
All the 6 plies both us and our neighbors have tried are ATs. They all suck in terms of getting flats.
No argument that 10plies ride stiffer.

Sponsored

Maverick909

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sporticon, 1976 GMC K15 Lifted on 35's
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Electrician/ Industrial Furnace MFG
Clubs

all i am saying is you must be driving through some areas with construction, following a nail truck, or you got some :bandit:. HEH.

D60

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
One of my pet peeves today.... people (including tire stores) should really speak in Load Ratings.

10 ply tires no longer have 10 plies and ditto for 6 ply..... they are merely X-ply "RATED"

8flat

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
One of my pet peeves today.... people (including tire stores) should really speak in Load Ratings.

10 ply tires no longer have 10 plies and ditto for 6 ply..... they are merely X-ply "RATED"
Yeah, it's all gone downhill in that regard.
Sponsored