Sponsored

High Tuck Exhaust opinions, please

stylett9

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
Hi everyone,
I'm trying to determine what is the most cost effective way to accomplish what I want. My primary concern is to reduce weight, hence the high tuck. Also, I have very little to no desire to actually make the vehicle louder. Though I recognize the vehicle is likely to get louder. Just saying it's not a priority at all.

I've seen a few options from MBRP. They have an axle back high tuck for about 100 dollars. They have an aluminum cat back for 260, or a stainless version for 420.

Does anyone have an opinion on axle back vs cat back, aluminum vs stainless?
Also open to other recommendations as well.
thanks!
Sponsored

Avar928

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU 2.0 Sport S Granite
Your cheapest option is the Dynomax muffler delete. Think you can get it for around $80 or so used? New is around $100. Definitely will be louder.

There's the Magnaflow Rock Crawler exhaust as well, very nice but expensive...almost $600.

Sponsored

limeade

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
I have the Dynomax muffler delete and I love it. Its just a little bit louder overall, but not obnoxious. The only time its really "loud" is on startup. Driving is pleasant and I really don't notice it anymore.
I have it too and completely agree with your assessment. To add as I know some are concerned about it, there is no drone with mine.

If you're looking at losing the stock muffler for clearance and weight savings, it is hard to beat the Dynomax muffler delete for the price.

CallMeJoe

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Your cheapest option is the Dynomax muffler delete.
If you want to save weight it's hard to do better than no muffler. My 2.0 and Dynomax is great. As many have said, startups are bracing, but after it idles down (30 seconds to a minute or so) it's just a growl. I really like mine.

TxJeepers

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR XR
Borla.
I did the climber touring cat back and couldn’t be happier. Tucked up nicely and just a little louder than stock with a good tone.
Maybe a muffler shop can easily get the 4 door version to work in a two door.

2Wheel-Lee

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, 2006 Dodge Ram 2500 CTD, 1986 Suzuki Samurai, 1975 Datsun 620
I have the MBRP stainless cat-back "high tuck". Install is fine. There isn't really much drone, but you do hear the sound inside. At high throttle settings, it's not too loud inside, but it sounds like total garbage - basically like the removing the muffler and installing one of those basic Dynomax pipes, except maybe slightly better (yes, I think the Dynomax pipes sound even worse). Most people often say they love what they bought, even to convince themselves, but I'll admit that I hate the way this thing sounds. It's bad. It's not really too loud, it just sounds bad. Fortunately, I saved the stock cat-to-axle portion of the exhaust for when I do something else.

I will say that that the MBRP muffler/resonator is strong. Last weekend, I "put" it on a rock, and it handled it well. I think the stock pipe bracket bent a bit as the whole thing is now even more tucked up. Though I mildly smashed the section of pipe behind the muffler/resonator. Unfortunately, the sound didn't improve. :P

https://mbrpexhauststore.com/2-5-ca...ep-wrangler-jl-2-dr-4-dr-2-0l-3-6l-2018-2020/

Obi.Wan.Shawnobi

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gobi Tan 4Xe Rubicon
Occupation
Elevator Techinician.
AFE muffler delete after resonator kit. not really much louder except on cold start. Once it kicks down it is really mellow.

Sponsored

OP
OP

stylett9

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
Just installed the aFe hi-tuck:
I think that actually sounds pretty clean all things considered. My probelm is I live in a very tight condo complex and I’m thinking those cold starts might annoy some of my neighbors. I’ve already been sent two HOA violations just for washing my car ‍♂

Magnaflow

Rock Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Magnaflow
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.magnaflow.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Will you be doing any offroading that will need a high tuck? If you're mainly looking for weight savings, you could always just remove the clunky stock muffler/resonator and replace with smaller lighter-weight units too for relatively cheap.

As mentioned, we also offer our Offroad-Pro and Rock-Crawler series catbacks for the JL You can expect a more aggressive sound from them due to the lower-profile mufflers.

OP
OP

stylett9

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
Will you be doing any offroading that will need a high tuck? If you're mainly looking for weight savings, you could always just remove the clunky stock muffler/resonator and replace with smaller lighter-weight units too for relatively cheap.

As mentioned, we also offer our Offroad-Pro and Rock-Crawler series catbacks for the JL You can expect a more aggressive sound from them due to the lower-profile mufflers.
thanks for chiming in, I will have to check out some of your guys options. High tuck isn't mandatory. Just seemed like the most cost effective weight savings.
thanks!
Sponsored