Sponsored

High Tire Pressure in New Jeeps on Delivery

Durango

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited, 2019 Ram 1500 Quadcab 4X4, 2018 Challenger Hellcat, 2018 Charger SRT, 2018 American Dream, 2017 Ram 1500 Reg Cab 4X4, 2020 Redwood 3951MB, 2019 Mercedes 4WD Van
In looking for more information about the various rail yards FCA ships new Jeeps through (part of the wait I suppose) I came across an FCA document outlining the requirements their contractors who ship vehicles are to adhere to...
I keep seeing posts here where people say the dealer is putting too much air in the tires - this is NOT correct, but instead the Jeeps are coming from the factory that way - and FCA is very specific that their contractors NOT change that pressure. So that means the Jeeps arrive at the dealer with those higher pressures - and most leave them that way because if they drop the pressure down, the tires are likely to get flat spots sitting on the dealer lot for extended periods of time. With this in mind, since most dealers seem to be leaving the pressures at that higher setting when delivering the vehicle to the customer, if you want the pressure lower (closer to the number on the tag), then be sure to let the dealer know...(or bring your own pressure gauge to delivery!)
Sponsored

liquids

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S, 1968 CJ5
Yep, and it's been that way for a long time. Every Chrysler going back 30 years is shipped at 37+ lbs.

TJ2018

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Punk'n JLUR; 2020 Silverado Trail Boss
Vehicle Showcase
I never really gave much thought to tires flat-spotting while on dealer lots. It makes sense that higher pressures might help prevent flat spotting, but wouldn't/shouldn't adjusting tires to proper pressure be part of any pre-delivery check? Sounds like a no-brainer to me to give the new owner the best drive off the lot experience possible. But, then again from what I hear about most Jeep dealers... :facepalm:

Mikeoso

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.iowaparrotrescue.org
Vehicle(s)
Ram 1500, Jeep
Occupation
Retired history teacher
When I committed to buying mine, I told the salesman to make sure the tires were down to 35 when the service people prepped it. He agreed. When I went to pick it up, I asked if the tires were down to 35 and he assured me they were. When I started it, I went to the tire pressure screen...they were at 45.

RMojitoJL

First Name
Skyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon *Mojito*, 2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Altitude, 2019 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport
Occupation
Loan Officer
Vehicle Showcase
they're usually at 40+ PSI for shipping to your dealer via rail/truck. The dealer should check before putting on the lot, test driving, or delivering. Buutttttttt 90% of them do not- Def check them yourself so you know where your vehicle is prior to driving.

Sponsored

HealthRebel

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLRU Ocean Blue
In looking for more information about the various rail yards FCA ships new Jeeps through (part of the wait I suppose) I came across an FCA document outlining the requirements their contractors who ship vehicles are to adhere to...
I keep seeing posts here where people say the dealer is putting too much air in the tires - this is NOT correct, but instead the Jeeps are coming from the factory that way - and FCA is very specific that their contractors NOT change that pressure. So that means the Jeeps arrive at the dealer with those higher pressures - and most leave them that way because if they drop the pressure down, the tires are likely to get flat spots sitting on the dealer lot for extended periods of time. With this in mind, since most dealers seem to be leaving the pressures at that higher setting when delivering the vehicle to the customer, if you want the pressure lower (closer to the number on the tag), then be sure to let the dealer know...(or bring your own pressure gauge to delivery!)
Thanks for the reminder. When my 2020 arrives, I will show up at the dealership with my digital air pressure gauge in hand. I will also check the engine oil level before I drive away (although this should be ok from the factory).

HogWld

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 2dr Punk'N Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
I picked mine up 2 days ago and the air pressure was set at 42 psi in all tires. I just figured they prepped it so it should be correct. Obviously I figured wrong.

Kluk Ztopolovky

First Name
Kluk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL Sport 2dr Sting Gray manual
When I committed to buying mine, I told the salesman to make sure the tires were down to 35 when the service people prepped it. He agreed. When I went to pick it up, I asked if the tires were down to 35 and he assured me they were. When I started it, I went to the tire pressure screen...they were at 45.
just like my Jeep when I picked it up few days ago , now I am at 31 front and 34 back and in the hot weather it goes up by 1 - 2 psi anyways

Bryce

First Name
Bryce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
The dealer checking tire pressure should be part of PDI, but it's easy enough to scroll through the screens and see you tires pressures.
Sponsored