Sponsored

High Pitched Whistling During Cold Start

Wranglher

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Edge & Volvo S60
Good morning/afternoon/evening all!

I'm scouring the interwebs and searching for any advice or recommendations you might have. 😊 I have had my 2023 Willy's Wrangler for a whole month now and seem to be experiencing my first issue. 🤣 It's a 3.6L v6 with an entire 1,500miles on it and for the past three mornings in this chilly Chicago weather it has been making a high pitched whistling noise for about 5 minutes until things warm up. It only makes the noise in the morning when I start it up, before work, and ensures my neighbor is also up at 5:30am. I have not had the opportunity to see if it disappears or changes pitch at a higher RPM. It has usually quit by the time I start driving and does not occur for the remainder of the day. Does anyone have any ideas what to look for or what type of discussion needs to happen between the dealership and myself? 😄 Below is a link to the YouTube video for noise reference, I would not have the volume up too high; it gets worse as the video continues. Your assistance/opinions are greatly appreciated.

Sponsored

Reactions: AFD

AFD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JL Rubicon (2DR/V6)
My '23 V6 eTorque made that exact same whine/squeal/whistle this morning for a few seconds and then it went away. It was ~20F outside and I've had this exact noise happen with my last car on colder days, but not until after I've had it for a few years. This was the first I've ever heard it on the JL.

Was searching around the forums earlier about it, and while many suggested it was a common belt noise, some also mentioned the brake booster losing or purging vacuum (pressing lighter on the pedal during push-button start is supposed to help avoid this). Mine, for both my Jeep and my old car, sounds more like an air leaking squeal than a slipping belt, but I used remote start this morning, so not sure if the brake pedal and booster issue would still be in play or not.

Kind of annoyed, but hopefully it's just something normal (always thought it was a boost leak on my turbo'd car, but guess not since my JL is NA). If it's anything like my last car, the sound will only last a few seconds below 20F and a fair bit longer below 10F. Unfortunately, that sucker screamed for a minute or two if it was sub-0F temps

Sub'd in case you find any better info 👍

Edit: and if you do have a dealer take a look at it, you're probably going to have to leave it overnight and somehow talk them into looking at it first thing on a very cold morning, otherwise, I'm really not sure how they'd be able to replicate it.

Beachcomber72

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLU High Tide
My 2022 3.6 High Tide has the same noise and I’ve never seen any issues from it. Doesn’t mean it’s normal but there’s not much to worry about I’d say.

OP
OP
Wranglher

Wranglher

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Edge & Volvo S60
My '23 V6 eTorque made that exact same whine/squeal/whistle this morning for a few seconds and then it went away. It was ~20F outside and I've had this exact noise happen with my last car on colder days, but not until after I've had it for a few years. This was the first I've ever heard it on the JL.

Was searching around the forums earlier about it, and while many suggested it was a common belt noise, some also mentioned the brake booster losing or purging vacuum (pressing lighter on the pedal during push-button start is supposed to help avoid this). Mine, for both my Jeep and my old car, sounds more like an air leaking squeal than a slipping belt, but I used remote start this morning, so not sure if the brake pedal and booster issue would still be in play or not.

Kind of annoyed, but hopefully it's just something normal (always thought it was a boost leak on my turbo'd car, but guess not since my JL is NA). If it's anything like my last car, the sound will only last a few seconds below 20F and a fair bit longer below 10F. Unfortunately, that sucker screamed for a minute or two if it was sub-0F temps

Sub'd in case you find any better info 👍

Edit: and if you do have a dealer take a look at it, you're probably going to have to leave it overnight and somehow talk them into looking at it first thing on a very cold morning, otherwise, I'm really not sure how they'd be able to replicate it.
I've so far seen a video where the one owner has had a similar noise and it turned out to be the idler pulley. I would be a little surprised if I already needed to replace that, but I guess anything is possible. I've had v6 engines before and this sound is definitely not normal. I agree, the issue does not sound like a belt problem. I have had belt issues on previous vehicles and change belts pretty regularly on HVAC units, I would say I have an ear for belt discrepancies 😄, but who knows? 🤷🏼‍♀️

This is the most I have ever paid for a vehicle with just about every bell and whistle offered; so to say I'm a bit disappointed is an understatement. 😒

Last edited:
OP
OP
Wranglher

Wranglher

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Edge & Volvo S60
My 2022 3.6 High Tide has the same noise and I’ve never seen any issues from it. Doesn’t mean it’s normal but there’s not much to worry about I’d say.
Well, I do live in a townhome and my vehicle is parked damn near underneath my neighbor's bedroom window, so I would say I need to worry a little bit 🤏. The sound is ear piercing and I did not pay 70k with warranty to listen to what sounds like a child screaming at the top of their lungs coming from underneath the hood every morning. 🤣🤣 The sound has been getting progressively worse. I can hear it from inside my place and originally thought my Bluetooth was connecting and blasting something thru the speakers. As in 'something' I'm referring to the theme song of the movie Psycho or since the sound is a little more steady I guess I should say the screaming.

Last edited:

Sponsored

OP
OP
Wranglher

Wranglher

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Edge & Volvo S60
Update: The dealership took a look at the vehicle this morning and it turns out it is the inner components of the alternator making that noise. Since they changed models from 2022 to 2023 I have to wait for the part, which no one has in stock. Apparently, it's on backorder and there is no idea when the order will be filled. Until then, my Jeep will be sitting there.

AFD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JL Rubicon (2DR/V6)
Update: The dealership took a look at the vehicle this morning and it turns out it is the inner components of the alternator making that noise. Since they changed models from 2022 to 2023 I have to wait for the part, which no one has in stock. Apparently, it's on backorder and there is no idea when the order will be filled. Until then, my Jeep will be sitting there.
That's weird that mine would've made the exact same noise (albeit for a briefer period of time), considering it doesn't even have an alternator and instead has the eTorque generator. Guess there must be some shared similarities between their operation.

XPLOR3

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR WHITE
I went to the dealer today about similar sound.
less pitch and it happens when cold or hot outside, it happened at cold start and also happened while driving or idling after one hour drive.
It does not happen every time.
Dealer said it’s a vacuum pump sound and it will fade away with time. And that it is completely normal on new cars.
I am not very happy on their diagnosis because if it is really normal I am not happy with a 50k whistling car.
Or the dealer is lying and waiting for the warranty to fade away before they fix it.

longfiredragon

First Name
Darryl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUW Sport 2.0 L Turbo
OP didn't say if his was an etourqe or not. He may have an etourqe, it is common for people to call it an alternator.

My point is I had a Ram 1500 etourqe that made a sound like this. It was a 2020, built in mid 2019 and I bought it in December of 2020. So long time sitting the dealers lot.

Turned out the bearing in the etourqe generator dried out, went bad, whatever. And yes the neighbor 3 or 4 houses down could hear it when started it.

If you have an etourqe engine, this is where I would look first.

Tarkus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Wrangler JLU
Mine is an E-Torque and just started making the same noise. Just wondering if you had the e-torque and if they fixed it?

OP
OP
Wranglher

Wranglher

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Edge & Volvo S60
Mine is an E-Torque and just started making the same noise. Just wondering if you had the e-torque and if they fixed it?
I do not have the e-torque. They replaced the alternator, supposedly, and it's still making the noise although not as often.
Sponsored