high pitched noise under hood

Akbill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLUR
I have a 2019 JLUR, I noticed today a constant high pitched whine sound, like a tuning fork. the high pitched noise is constant WHEN THE IGNITION SWITCH IS ON RUN BUT THE ENGINE IS NOT RUNNING.

Not able to upload mp3 file of sound.

Is this normal? If you have a 2019, please lift your hood, put ignition on run but no engine running and tell me if quiet or if you have that noise. thank you in advance!

added detail:
the noise I have measures at 79 decibels on the driver side of the air filter cover. there is also some clicking like sound under the high pitched sound, like morse code clicking randomly. It seems to be the loudest near the drivers side rear two spark plug coil packs. note that the engine is not running. climate controls set to Off.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Shenanigans

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubi
Is your foot on the brake pedal?

OP
OP
Akbill

Akbill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLUR
Someone please check your 2019 JL for this and let me know.....

IronScott

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sahara, 1992 Jeep YJ, 2002 Chevy Silverado
Someone please check your 2019 JL for this and let me know.....
I hear it. I just experienced this yesterday while installing and aligning my Tazer camera. I had to leave the JL in run mode and go in and out of the Jeep to get the camera alignment correct. That noise you mentions sounds horrible.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Akbill

Akbill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLUR
I hear it. I just experienced this yesterday while installing and aligning my Tazer camera. I had to leave the JL in run mode and go in and out of the Jeep to get the camera alignment correct. That noise you mentions sounds horrible.
Yikes, ok thanks.

Last edited:

IronScott

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sahara, 1992 Jeep YJ, 2002 Chevy Silverado
Yikes, ok thanks. And do you think this noise is new since putting tazer in, or new tazer version, or the camera (was it zautomotive camera?), or was it always that way? If it is zautomotive product related, I guess we need to move this thread....
Beyond using the Tazer, I had not experienced this before but I previously had no other need to have the Jeep in Run mode and the hood up. I seriously doubt this is a Tazer issue. I just can’t imagine how it would be related to the Tazer. I suspect this is a Turbo-related noise but that’s just a guess. I really like the Tazer and don’t think it’s related to this noise at all. I just mentioned it because that’s how I noticed the noise. I installed the Tazer camera and it needed some adjustment - hence the run mode noise.

I assume it’s nothing serious but it is a bit disturbing, as you mentioned.

OP
OP
Akbill

Akbill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLUR
the noise I have measures at 79 decibels on the driver side of the air filter cover. there is also some clicking like sound under the high pitched sound, like morse code clicking randomly. It seems to be the loudest near the drivers side rear two spark plug coil packs. note that the engine is not running. Wish I could upload an mp3 file. I have a V6,not turbo.

People with a 2019 and no tazer history, do you have this noise?

Last edited:

Bearded_Dragon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mojito! Rubicon
My 2018 makes the same sound. I've narrowed it down to the steering box. With the engine running don't touch the steering wheel for maybe 15 seconds, the noise should stop. As soon as you move the steering wheel then the noise comes back until you leave the wheel alone again.

OP
OP
Akbill

Akbill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLUR
My 2018 makes the same sound. I've narrowed it down to the steering box. With the engine running don't touch the steering wheel for maybe 15 seconds, the noise should stop. As soon as you move the steering wheel then the noise comes back until you leave the wheel alone again.
this sound is with engine NOT running but ignition switch in RUN position. I updated the issue with more detail in 1st post. but thanks for your input.

Sponsored

Bearded_Dragon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mojito! Rubicon
this sound is with engine NOT running but ignition switch in RUN position. I updated the issue with more detail in 1st post. but thanks for your input.
So does mine, try what I suggested and let us know.

OP
OP
Akbill

Akbill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLUR
So does mine, try what I suggested and let us know.
I don't touch the steering wheel at all, the sound will go on all day long if I leave it in RUN. I can't hear the noise when engine is actually running, the engine is louder than this noise, so I don't know if it is present or not when running.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Akbill

Akbill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLUR
we still need to hear from someone without a programmer to see if the noise is present as describe in 1st post....... I dont' want to put my jeep dash back together until I am sure this is normal noise. In the meantime I have all the wire connectors connected to all the components; stock.

Last edited:

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
Vehicle Showcase
Just spitballing here, but could it be the electric fuel pump holding a prime while waiting to fire up? I've got a 19 Rubi but with the 2.0 engine, so I can't provide the comparison you're looking for.

Watchthis

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JL Rubicon
My 18 makes this noise and I don’t have a programmer. Can’t quite put my finger on where it’s coming from.
Sponsored