High pitched noise from steering (?)

cohocarl

First Name
Carl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Honda Passport, '18 Crosstrek, '16 Cherokee
I know my tinnitus haunts me, but I am hearing a high pitched, low volume sound coming from what I believe is from the steering column or something related to the steering.

While playing around with my video camera this afternoon, trying to make a couple "before" videos of the stock exhaust system, and then make similar after the nice UPS man (or woman, or ...) delivers my Hooker axle back exhaust today, the camera picked up the noise.

Here's a little video of a couple portions of the video I took today where you should be able to hear the noise. The pitch changes while when I wiggle the wheel a little.

Anyone else notice this, or am I just lucky again?

Sponsored

Rezj

First Name
Rez
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Sahara
That would be the brake vacuum pump. Activates when you press the brake. I had the same noise and discovered that unlike other cars, Wranglers don't use the engine as a vacuum but instead install an actual brake vacuum pump.

CypressWrangler

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Sport S JLU
I am just here to say I love your avatar!

OP
OP
cohocarl

cohocarl

First Name
Carl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Honda Passport, '18 Crosstrek, '16 Cherokee
I am just here to say I love your avatar!
I was wondering how many people would know what at is.:flag:
My 16 yr old had one of mine out this weekend taking care of my sister in law's hard drive she wanted destroyed.:)

RubenZ

First Name
Ruben
Threads
Reaction score
Website
myjlproject.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford F-250, 18’ Toyota 4Runner
I was just about to post about this. It annoys me actually but m8ne does this too. Glad I saw your thread.

Sponsored

ormandj

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 JLUR X 4xe
I also seem to have this. It wasn't doing this when new, but with 180 miles or so, it's started. Anybody figure out how to fix this or at least tone it down? I've got a 2.0, in case it matters. Pitch changes with wheel movement. I didn't have any noise until ~180 miles or so.

Last edited:

ormandj

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 JLUR X 4xe
I've also noticed after the auto start/stop shuts the engine off, perhaps 10 seconds or so later, the noise goes away. Something is being de-energized that's emitting the sound. Is anybody else seeing this noise, or just the few of us who have posted?

Jdeluna81

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubicon
I have a 2020 jlur and same noise. Anyone figure out what it is? I noticed it when my wife was pulling in the garage and it's sounds horrible and driving me crazy!!
Sponsored