First Name
JAMES
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CHEROKEE TRAILHAWK/ JEEP GLADIATOR
Occupation
RETIRED
I've got 35" HANKOOKS on my JLR and don't need a lift--I like the "HIGH FLARES" because they are--FUNCTIONAL !

They also promote the "RUBICON LOOKS"-

You don't NEED A RUBICON--you just WANT ONE-

W.E.

JIMBO
Sponsored

ToolMan514

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Rubicon 4xe
The inside/underside of the fender flares are different on the Rubicon. Here's an animation I did a while back to visualize the differences... Personally, I like the high fenders. I will eventually move to 35" tires, but I'm not sure about a lift, at least not before the standard warranty is up. I plan to keep my Rubicon for a long time.

JL-Sahara-to-Rubicon.gif

Last edited:
OP
OP
DizzyIzzy

DizzyIzzy

First Name
Izzy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 AEV JL370 - Hellayella JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
What color is your Rubi? I'd possibly be interested in trading painted Sahara fenders with factory LED option.
Don't have one yet. Looking to buy a HellaYella.

OP
OP
DizzyIzzy

DizzyIzzy

First Name
Izzy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
The inside/underside of the fender flares are different on the Rubicon. Here's an animation I did a while back to visualize the differences...

JL-Sahara-to-Rubicon.gif
WOW... Thanks ToolMan514. The rear fenders are different on a Rubi as well !!!! Did not realize that before.

BTW... I also noticed that the fake vents and the power bump on the European Rubicon hood is different from the US version.

OP
OP
DizzyIzzy

DizzyIzzy

First Name
Izzy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I've got 35" HANKOOKS on my JLR and don't need a lift--I like the "HIGH FLARES" because they are--FUNCTIONAL !

They also promote the "RUBICON LOOKS"-

You don't NEED A RUBICON--you just WANT ONE-

W.E.

JIMBO
To be honest, I've seen people do technical trails in Tacomas and Rams. Nobody NEEDS a Rubicon, you can customize your Sport S and put in beefy axles and locking diffs. I'm sold on the Wrangler because of the front and rear diff lockers straight from the factory and it's the only convertible SUV in the US and I can personalize the heck out of it. I grew up in Asia and the middle east, and they are big on Land Rover Defenders, Range Rovers and Land Cruisers. I love the Defenders but the closest thing to it here is the Wrangler Rubicon.

Sponsored

Johnnyquest

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jl Wrangler sport s
Put high fenders on sport jlu with the led lights computer will not let signals work so if you have a sport without the led package the high top fenders with halogen lamps will work not the led

Gdub

First Name
Geoff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sahara
Occupation
Engineer
Put high fenders on sport jlu with the led lights computer will not let signals work so if you have a sport without the led package the high top fenders with halogen lamps will work not the led
Will the tazer help you with that? It may.

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
WOW... Thanks ToolMan514. The rear fenders are different on a Rubi as well !!!! Did not realize that before.
Of course they’re different, why else would they sell the high fender flares as a set of four?

OP
OP
DizzyIzzy

DizzyIzzy

First Name
Izzy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Your last comment isn't really plausible. There are simply too many options and configurations of Jeep vehicles AFTER they are sold to the end user. Take yourself as one example....you plan to set up a certain type of Jeep Wrangler for expedition travel. Do you really think that an aftermarket manufacturer is going to know what you plan to add and build a suspension with that exact combination in mind?

Not possible.

Adjustability is a good thing. Buy once, cry once applies.
That's interesting. The Mopar 2" lift kit doesn't come with any adjustable arms whatsoever and it can support 35" and 37" tires. With the caster and pinion angles set, the manufacturer can give the customer a range of tires they can install per the suspension you're purchasing. I understand that some of these adjustable arms have joints that allows more articulation than the OEM rubber bushing joints. But, I've also seen issues being mentioned where the adjustable suspensions are loosing their settings after a wheeling trip.

Stretcher

The inside/underside of the fender flares are different on the Rubicon. Here's an animation I did a while back to visualize the differences... Personally, I like the high fenders. I will eventually move to 35" tires, but I'm not sure about a lift, at least not before the standard warranty is up. I plan to keep my Rubicon for a long time.

JL-Sahara-to-Rubicon.gif
Thanks for posting this I really appreciate the visual.

I cant believe that small fender height raise is what everybody is going bananas about though; it wouldnt make or break a buy for me

Sponsored

grady2hig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JLU, 2017 Toyota Sienna XLE 4WD
I don't like the Sahara fenders...they are too level.

chiggerdude

First Name
Brian Head
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR and a 2010 JK - 2010 JK Sport
Vehicle Showcase
I think this is probably why most of us rubi owners are jumping straight up to 37's.
2" or higher lift with rubi fenders and 37's still keeps your high center low and proportionally looks right. I'm on a TF 3.5" lift and could run 40's easy.

OP
OP
DizzyIzzy

DizzyIzzy

First Name
Izzy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
And that is the major complaint of the Mopar 2" kit....there's no way to adjust the caster angle. And the caster angle is one thing that can cause death wobble and is one of the primary causes of vague steering issues associated with the new model of Jeep.

Yes, adjustable link arms can come loose...anything with a fastener can, a fact that should be obvious; just as it should be obvious that a system with no adjustment has to operate in a fixed range that may not accommodate the changes one has made to the suspension; as is the case with the Mopar lift that doesn't even allow adjustment for side to side axle shift by not providing adjustable track bars. Furthermore, it has been known to give greatly varying amounts of lift....some claiming as much as 3.5" of lift from a "Two-Inch" lift. And, anyone familiar with panhard/track bar systems like this Jeep uses will realize that as the suspension cycles, what locates the axle side to side is the track bar. As the suspension cycles up and down the track bar dictates the arc in which the axle must travel side to side and it HAS TO SHIFT as it does so depending on where it is in the travel range.
Now, I'm really confused about the Mopar lift. I just checked what comes with it, and I'm surprised that it doesn't come with a track bar!! The longer control arms are supposed to put the caster and pinion angle back to stock, but how do they expect to center the axle without a new track bar? Or do they think that the height is too minimal to change it? I'm with you on the issues I read about where this 2" suspension is looking to be more like 3+" suspension. I've been researching suspensions for overlanding and so far people say good things about the AEV suspension and the Rock Krawler suspension. AEV provides a bracket to re-position the OEM track bar and Rock Krawler provides a new track bar. Anyway, I have quite a lot of research left to do.

Johnnyquest

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jl Wrangler sport s
Will the tazer help you with that? It may.
The high fenders come in led and halogen so I bought the halogen lenses and swapped out the led works fine maybe someday they will make a flash to accept led when that happens I will switch them out