DizzyIzzy

First Name
Izzy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 AEV JL370 - Hellayella JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
At the risk of sounding crazy; I am not fond of the high fender flares in rubicons. This is a purely aesthetic point of view. I understand the advantages of having the high fender flare. But I prefer the look of the regular one. Once I get my rubicon, I will switch out the high one with a regular one. Besides putting a 3.5 inch lift and 35s with regular fenders is enough clearance for my overlanding needs. Am I the only one on this boat?
Sponsored

nerubi

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLR, 2020 VW Tiguan
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
At the risk of sounding crazy; I am not fond of the high fender flares in rubicons. This is a purely aesthetic point of view. I understand the advantages of having the high fender flare. But I prefer the look of the regular one. Once I get my rubicon, I will switch out the high one with a regular one. Besides putting a 3.5 inch lift and 35s with regular fenders is enough clearance for my overlanding needs. Am I the only one on this boat?
Yep, you're the only one.:angel:

OP
OP
DizzyIzzy

DizzyIzzy

First Name
Izzy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I do prefer the Rubicon fender flares but people hated on the Sport flares so bad I left mine stock just to be different.
Nice. I noticed that the European Rubicons come with regular flares and they mostly use theirs for overlanding and not rock crawling. Aesthetically, I just don’t like the uneven look between the rear and the front high flares. It makes the rake look weird.

wvgasguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR / 2017 TRD Pro 4Runner / 2016 Suburban LTZ and 1979 Chevy K10 short bed
Occupation
Retired
I would think that if you had the need for an additional 3.5" of lift that having the high fenders on the front would just be icing on the cake for an off-roader. For me, with no intent to ever lift, I like that it looks like it is lifted. I like the 33" KO2's so I'll never go bigger

Sponsored

Agent47

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mojito! JLU 2.0T (Built 7/4)
Are the Rubicon rear fenders any different from the other trims?

jlsahara

First Name
Oscar
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
We’ll keep me posted on your flares lol. What color?

Zazoh

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon Sting-Gray
Occupation
Software Engineer
I would think that if you had the need for an additional 3.5" of lift that having the high fenders on the front would just be icing on the cake for an off-roader. For me, with no intent to ever lift, I like that it looks like it is lifted. I like the 33" KO2's so I'll never go bigger
Same, however, I would like a narrower fender in the front. They are 10 inches wide.

Hold24

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Bobby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL Rubicon 392
I don’t like them either ! Just haven’t been able to get the right look with mine. If I could find some black painted sahara flares I would buy them ...

Sponsored

intentsrig

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sporticon
In agreement with the OP. Don't care for the look of the higher front fenders....but I pulled mine off completely. When I make new ones, they'll be proportional to the rears I make.
What are you planning to do with your fenders?

RubenZ

First Name
Ruben
Threads
Reaction score
Website
myjlproject.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford F-250, 18’ Toyota 4Runner
I’ll trade my non rubicon ones for rubicon ones :)

XJrider

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon JL , 2 JK’s , XJ
This makes absolutely no sense ... you can clear those tires with almost no lift with the fenders... how much “overlanding” have you done? Or have you just seen it on youtube?

OP
OP
DizzyIzzy

DizzyIzzy

First Name
Izzy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
This makes absolutely no sense ... you can clear those tires with almost no lift with the fenders... how much “overlanding” have you done? Or have you just seen it on youtube?
I've been looking at the JL Wrangler since it came out. My buddy and I have already booked our trip to Flagstaff for the overland expo west this May to check out some rigs and take some classes. He is interested in Tacomas and I've been soaking up as much info as I can about Wranglers. Waiting for diesel to come out to buy one. I loved the Nacho color, but they no longer make it :(. So, I'm thinking Hellayella. From my research, I found that the stock suspension is not enough to put some payload on it. My plan is to put a rooftop tent and setup the back for cargo, fridge etc. From all the research I've done I think I will be going with AEV for their suspension, bumpers etc. They seem to specialize in overlanding, but I'm sure I will find out more options at the expo. AEV should be ready and available by mid year and the diesel should be out by then. The idea is to go on trails with a bunch of my buddies to Colorado, Utah etc., but not rock crawling. In about 3 years time, I'm thinking about moving to Asia, so I will take it with me if I do.

Oh, and I have sat in it and been to the dealership etc. and seen the Rubicon in person. I was looking at the Eurpoean model just to figure out what kind of diesel engines they had and that's when I noticed that they don't have high fender flares and I thought that it actually looked good that way, IMHO.

OP
OP
DizzyIzzy

DizzyIzzy

First Name
Izzy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Are the Rubicon rear fenders any different from the other trims?
I think the rear fenders on the rubicon are the same as the other trims. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.
Sponsored