Sponsored

High clearance exhaust?

Whaler27

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL, 2016 Jeep Grand Cherokee Altitude Ecodiesel, 2005 Mustang GT, 2018 Ford Raptor, 2018 BMW R1200GSA, 2020 Honda Monkeybikes (2), 1972 Honda CT-70, 1980 Honda CT-70,
Occupation
Saving the world :-)
I ordered the Arctec belly pan yesterday. Before installing that I‘s like to buy and install a cat back exhaust that improves ground clearance. I don’t want more noise just for the sake of noise, so I had settled on the Borla climber cat back exhaust, but I can’t find a deal anywhere. The northridge discount code did nothing, the Morris cyber Monday extension was worthless, and I can’t see any other vender interest. Anybody have alternative exhaust suggestions and/or vendor suggestions? I want 304 stainless, fairly quiet, the notch to accommodate the indexing tab after the cat, and high clearance. Any recommendations?
Sponsored

OP
OP
Whaler27

Whaler27

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL, 2016 Jeep Grand Cherokee Altitude Ecodiesel, 2005 Mustang GT, 2018 Ford Raptor, 2018 BMW R1200GSA, 2020 Honda Monkeybikes (2), 1972 Honda CT-70, 1980 Honda CT-70,
Occupation
Saving the world :-)
I’m not sure why this was moved to the seldom-read, back 40 section under “power”. The post couldn’t have less to do with power, but hiding it here guarantees my question won’t be seen by most Of the folks who might have been able to help.

To the moderator: Why are discussions of tires, shocks, skid plates, seats, and engines left in the general forum, but discussion of exhaust must be buried elsewhere.

Last edited:

RedundanT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
4WD had the climber for 492.99 and a cyber code got me 10% off.

Bud90

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
07 JKU
In the past I have bought Borla exhausts from Summit Racing
Not recently

Kreepin1

First Name
Kirk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1982 CJ7, 2006 TJ, 2012 JKR, 2021 JLR
Build Thread
Link
I'm on pretty much the same page, except still waiting on delivery of a 2021. This Fall I ran with a group in Moab. By far the most common damage was to the muffler and tailpipe so a high clearance exhaust is at the top of my list of mods. Like you, I am NOT interested in noise but it seems that pretty much every system out there is going to be loud and most will drone.

I'm going to try Hooker's Blackheart BH5410 combined with their BH5412 so basically I'll have two mufflers but much better clearance than factory. Summit was the best price I could find, but don't feel like I got much of a deal. I got the BH5410 from Northridge for $322 and the BH5412 from Summit for $379.

Sponsored

Chocolate Thunder

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Same boat. Concerned with greater clearance, don’t want it louder or any drone. The quieter the better. Don’t want dual pipes either, that loots silly to me on a Jeep.

Engine/exhaust forum is the only logical place for this thread.

FrostQ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
I have the Corsa Sport 21013 axle back installed. There is a quieter Touring version.
It's smaller than the stock muffler so it'll definitely give more ground clearance.

So far, no drone that i've noticed...but it is quite a bit louder when i'm on the gas.

Gdub

First Name
Geoff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sahara
Occupation
Engineer
This gonna sound crazy, but cut your muffler off. Right after the exhaust dumps over the axle. Sounds nice, not lo droney and keeps everything up above the rear bumper line.

At Risk Ute

First Name
Christian
Threads
Reaction score
Website
milehightrails.com
Vehicle(s)
‘94 YJ, ‘21 JLR, ‘22 JLUR XR, ‘23 392 XR
Occupation
Retired Navy
I have this exhaust and it sits higher than your rear bumper. Was the only one in Moab not prying open his exhaust pipe at the end of the day.

But... it’s really loud. Might be a deal breaker for spouses.

Check the FLowmaster Outlaw, they have one for the 2 door I have on my list before a belly pan goes on as well, its technically a muffler delete (but moves it forward) and is 50 state legal.
https://www.holley.com/products/exhaust/exhaust_systems/flowmaster/outlaw_series/parts/817818

Sponsored

ML7

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler JL Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
I have this exhaust and it sits higher than your rear bumper. Was the only one in Moab not prying open his exhaust pipe at the end of the day.

But... it’s really loud. Might be a deal breaker for spouses.
That can be an issue but for me the clearance looks so good it will be worth it, thanks for the info Moab will probably be the first place I get to really wheel once its built up...

MarkY3130

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
I had basically the same requirements when I was looking for mine. I ended up finding a used item locally so figured I'd give it a go. Picked up the aFe mach force xp hi-tuck axle back exhaust and it isn't bad with the 3.6/6-speed. Minor drone at a narrow RPM band that I'm able to work around.

My preference would have been a nearly silent exhaust, but this is working out pretty well. I find it's noise less annoying than the dozen or so times I had to use channel locks to open up my pinched exhaust outlet.

For what its worth, I haven't hit my exhaust since making the change. Its tucked up pretty high

Chocolate Thunder

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
I had basically the same requirements when I was looking for mine. I ended up finding a used item locally so figured I'd give it a go. Picked up the aFe mach force xp hi-tuck axle back exhaust and it isn't bad with the 3.6/6-speed. Minor drone at a narrow RPM band that I'm able to work around.

My preference would have been a nearly silent exhaust, but this is working out pretty well. I find it's noise less annoying than the dozen or so times I had to use channel locks to open up my pinched exhaust outlet.

For what its worth, I haven't hit my exhaust since making the change. Its tucked up pretty high
I’ve had my eye on this one too, but I hate drone. Even a little bit. Do you think it’s feasible to install a resonator inline with this system to quiet it down a bit more and kill any drone?

MarkY3130

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
I’ve had my eye on this one too, but I hate drone. Even a little bit. Do you think it’s feasible to install a resonator inline with this system to quiet it down a bit more and kill any drone?
I’d say that would work great. Would just need to pick a location and work out the install but shouldn’t be too bad figure out

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!