Sponsored

High clearance cat back while keeping a quiet exhaust? Yes.

RTCalifornia

First Name
RT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLR, 2020 X3 M40i, 2019 M4 Cv Comp, 2013 Abarth
Occupation
Multi Cloud Engineering
I had been looking for a high clearance exhaust system that would produce a very mild sound increase. I got a good deal over the Holiday on the MBRP full stainless Cat back, high clearance system. Other full cat back system should work just as well like Pypes etc. I picked MBRP because of the good price for a full 304 stainless steel tubes and the muffler canister is 19" which allows for other universal mufflers to be swap in.

Jeep Wrangler JL High clearance cat back while keeping a quiet exhaust? Yes. mbrpsystem

The MBRP sounded good but was too loud for my wife who rides with me most of the time. After testing several mufflers and reading many reviews on Amazon, I found the Dynomax Turbo muffler, an "Oval" type with multiple chambers is the quietest rivaling the stock system. Just a side note, from my limited tests, flow-thru type canisters simply produce exhaust notes that either resembles the 4 cylinder rasp or are a bit on the loud side. Here is the Dynomax Turbo muffler.
Jeep Wrangler JL High clearance cat back while keeping a quiet exhaust? Yes. muffler

Dynomax Turbo muffler part# 17615. 2.5" in/out ports. $29 on Amazon.

Problem with Oval mufflers:
Its seems all oval type mufflers with multi chambers have some off-set with their in and out ports. My 2 door JL exhaust system just don't have enough play in the pipes to really accommodate for the offset ports without overly stressing the muffler rubber hangers.

Having a lot of time on my hands, I decided to weld together the "S" bend tube that would re-align the offset ports. I ended up welded two 45 degree sections to a single straight section and added a 2.5" ID on one end and a 2.5" OD on the other. It was way too much work.
Jeep Wrangler JL High clearance cat back while keeping a quiet exhaust? Yes. 45section
-- ->
Jeep Wrangler JL High clearance cat back while keeping a quiet exhaust? Yes. sbend

Note: Four door Jeeps may be able to get away with attaching the rear pipe section to the offset as there is much more room to accommodate the offset.

After completing the "S" bend, I came to realize that I could have simply purchase two 45 degrees stainless pipes, trim them to length and simply do a single weld to join them.... Oh well, hind sight is 2020. If you are going to fabricate the "S" bend, I would recommend buying these instead.

Or better yet, I believe most muffler shops can custom make one at a reasonable price.
Jeep Wrangler JL High clearance cat back while keeping a quiet exhaust? Yes. 45degreepipes

With the added "S" bend, the muffler now exceeds the 19" limit. The choice was to cut the MBRP head pipe length to compensate or find a flange head pipe that is similar and can be cut shorter.
Jeep Wrangler JL High clearance cat back while keeping a quiet exhaust? Yes. MBRPflange.JPG

The flange must also be able to couple back on to the factory flange. I found this one on Amazon and had to cut out what I needed.
Jeep Wrangler JL High clearance cat back while keeping a quiet exhaust? Yes. flange
Cut only the flange and trimmed to fit
Jeep Wrangler JL High clearance cat back while keeping a quiet exhaust? Yes. flangeCut

I basically had to match the overall length of the original MBRP canister + head flange pipe, see below:
Top is the MBRP system with the flange head pipe attached.
Bottom is the Dynomax Turbo muffler with the custom "S" bend and flange section attached.
Jeep Wrangler JL High clearance cat back while keeping a quiet exhaust? Yes. Compre.JPG

Here is what it looks like installed.

Jeep Wrangler JL High clearance cat back while keeping a quiet exhaust? Yes. installed

Jeep Wrangler JL High clearance cat back while keeping a quiet exhaust? Yes. 1.JPG

FWIW, I also tested the Dynomax 17733 Super Turbo Muffler ($45) that claims 2.5" tube through out but it also is tapered just like their standard turbo. However, it does have the "Curve" brackets inside to guide the exhaust flow but not sure if it actually does anything. I did notice some difference in power and sound. I did a simple test using 4th gear acceleration from 50mph to 70mph and the Super Turbo got to 70mph several seconds faster than the regular Turbo muffler on the same stretch of road. The Super Turbo Muffer does seem to flow better but was also louder with some drone. Anything below 2000 rpm is pretty much the same. 2300 rpms and 3000 rpms produced the most noticeable drone.

The Super Turbo Muffler was $15 more and includes a limited lifetime warranty.

RT
Sponsored

Last edited:
OP
OP
RTCalifornia

RTCalifornia

First Name
RT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLR, 2020 X3 M40i, 2019 M4 Cv Comp, 2013 Abarth
Occupation
Multi Cloud Engineering
Here is the video with the sound tests.

The video camera dynamically compensates for low or high sound pressure so the exhaust sound louder that it actually is. The decibel meter is a better reference.

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
Nice job there, thanks for taking the time to detail what you went through to get the fit you needed.
Looks like there may be hope for me to get something similar installed between my Dynomax muffler delete pipe and my midpipe resonator. 2drs does complicate matters :(