Sponsored

High Altitude with Clayton 2.5” & 37s

FLUndertaker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT, 1986 CJ7
Buddy just bought a new high altitude JL coming from a built JK. He’s wanting a Clayton off-road 2.5” overland plus Kit and is hoping to run his Black Rhino 9.5” wheels with 37” ridge grapplers off his JK.
seems from my reading here it’s doable on a Rubi but not so much on a Sahara (high altitude), truth? even for very moderate off roading?
The taller 3.5” COR kit would Not allow the Jeep to clear his garage door.
Sponsored

JeepJLU402

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler JLU Sport S - V6 8AT - 30/44
Pretty sure that D30 M186 up front will be the limiting factor on tire size. I think most people would say that 35” tires are the max for that axle. But you could always put a UD44 or a Prorock 44 on it and be good.

Roky

First Name
Roky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Buddy just bought a new high altitude JL coming from a built JK. He’s wanting a Clayton off-road 2.5” overland plus Kit and is hoping to run his Black Rhino 9.5” wheels with 37” ridge grapplers off his JK.
seems from my reading here it’s doable on a Rubi but not so much on a Sahara (high altitude), truth? even for very moderate off roading?
Doable how? Fender rubbing, axle strength, axle width,...?

OP
OP

FLUndertaker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT, 1986 CJ7
Doable how? Fender rubbing, axle strength, axle width,...?
Doable as in they fit because of the wider Rubi axles and high line Rubi fenders. my research didn’t find many non rubis running 37s on anything less than 3.5” of lift. I did find a couple pics of dealer installed mopar 2” lift wearing 20” wheels with 37” tires. Not sure how much rubbing or under what circumstances. That’s my question. He’s not a hard core off roader. Mostly just fire roads

4EF84F05-F226-4B24-9649-00A7591064ED.jpeg

DB190346-15B7-4CEA-88B7-BA83EE2CAC98.jpeg

Roky

First Name
Roky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Doable as in they fit because of the wider Rubi axles and high line Rubi fenders. my research didn’t find many non rubis running 37s on anything less than 3.5” of lift. I did find a couple pics of dealer installed mopar 2” lift wearing 20” wheels with 37” tires. Not sure how much rubbing or under what circumstances. That’s my question. He’s not a hard core off roader. Mostly just fire roads

Jeep Wrangler JL High Altitude with Clayton 2.5” & 37s DB190346-15B7-4CEA-88B7-BA83EE2CAC98

Jeep Wrangler JL High Altitude with Clayton 2.5” & 37s DB190346-15B7-4CEA-88B7-BA83EE2CAC98
He’ll most likely rub the plastic inner fenders. If he can’t go higher with lift then there’s a couple things he can do. Do a fender chop and use the AAL light brace with aftermarket inner fenders. Limit up travel by adding bump stop. That kit comes with front lower control arms that bend inward like the factory arms, so may clear when turning full lock. If it doesn’t he could adjust the turning stops if it’s barely rubbing, or if it’s keeping from full turn, might need wheel spacers.

In the rear, most likely just have trouble with the plastic cover on inner fender behind the tire below the bumper. Guys have been using heat gun to reshape it.

At the end of the day though, it’s really not something you can pinpoint and address before the lift and install the tires, because it’s most likely it will be a little more than 2.5”. Most lift companies list the advertised height based on the Rubi.

Sponsored

Clayton Off Road

Summit Sponsor (Level 3)
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
They actually would fit fine with our 2.5" kit, especially just for everyday street use. The only downside would be some minor rubbing on the fenders if he were to flex it out. However, a simple solution would be to also install the Rubicon style fenders in order to properly clear 37's on a 2.5" lift, and then there should be nothing to worry about :like:

Tdkrum5

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 White JLU Altitude
Vehicle Showcase
If you can wait till march I will be able to show you what this all looks like. I ordered the @claytonoffroad 2.5 overland + kit just waiting for it to arrive. I have also ordered the Rubi Hight top fenders from my dealer and will be having it all installing with Rubi take off axles by Northridge 4x4 in March. It is so hard to wait.

Clayton Off Road

Summit Sponsor (Level 3)
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
If you can wait till march I will be able to show you what this all looks like. I ordered the @claytonoffroad 2.5 overland + kit just waiting for it to arrive. I have also ordered the Rubi Hight top fenders from my dealer and will be having it all installing with Rubi take off axles by Northridge 4x4 in March. It is so hard to wait.
Looking forward to seeing this build!

Bruce Willys

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Willys, 2021 Wrangler Unlimited High Altitude
Pretty sure that D30 M186 up front will be the limiting factor on tire size. I think most people would say that 35” tires are the max for that axle. But you could always put a UD44 or a Prorock 44 on it and be good.
High Altitudes come with a Dana 44 wide up front FYI.

JeepJLU402

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
High Altitudes come with a Dana 44 wide up front FYI.
So those are a Rubicon package? I have only seen D44’s on Rubicons especially the wide ones. So that would be correct if the High Altitude is an extra package on a Rubicon it would have wide D44 front and 37’s are good to go.

Sponsored

Bruce Willys

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Willys, 2021 Wrangler Unlimited High Altitude
So those are a Rubicon package? I have only seen D44’s on Rubicons especially the wide ones. So that would be correct if the High Altitude is an extra package on a Rubicon it would have wide D44 front and 37’s are good to go.
No, the Rubicon package comes with front and rear lockers as well as 4.10 gears (and many other differences outside of the axles).

There's some info about the axles in this thread:
https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...snuck-in-on-the-high-altitude-wrangler.57219/

JeepJLU402

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
No, the Rubicon package comes with front and rear lockers as well as 4.10 gears (and many other differences outside of the axles).

There's some info about the axles in this thread:
https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...snuck-in-on-the-high-altitude-wrangler.57219/
That’s cool. It’s still kinda awesome that they would do that. It’s hard to keep all these new packages straight ha!! Why did they have to wait till after I bought my 2019 to start releasing all of them.
Sponsored