HIGH ALTITUDE Edition JL Club Thread

JEC_PA

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU
Curious to know if a 35/12.5/20 tire will fit on the stock High Altitude wheel?

AjFox

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep High Altitude
Curious to know if a 35/12.5/20 tire will fit on the stock High Altitude wheel?
I don't know for sure but I am getting what's equal to 34 / 12.2 and the dealer told me that a small lift should be done to prevent rubbing if i went with full 35's. I'm doing a small lift anyways bc i like the look and with a little off-roading, it only benefits to have extra space.

JEC_PA

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU
I don't know for sure but I am getting what's equal to 34 / 12.2 and the dealer told me that a small lift should be done to prevent rubbing if i went with full 35's. I'm doing a small lift anyways bc i like the look and with a little off-roading, it only benefits to have extra space.
What lift are you going with? Im thinking about a simple 1.5 spacer lift.
What size tires?

StanleyCup99

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler wannabe
What’s up with all the hate on the high altitude?

I was laughing when reading some of the posts on this thread...

While I don’t need body color everything, I personally find the body color fenders and the body color top (even the sky top with body color frame) looking very sharp! I’m not sure if it’s just me, but I find the plastic fenders significantly unattractive.....

Yes...not a fan of the wheels and tires but those can be swapped out. I personally love the tires on the Willys.

i’m looking for some constructive input. Weighing a high alt 4XE vs a sahara 4XE

Sponsored

Tunderhill

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Rubicon 392XR

While I don’t need body color everything, I personally find the body color fenders and the body color top (even the sky top with body color frame) looking very sharp! I’m not sure if it’s just me, but I find the plastic fenders significantly unattractive.....

Yes...not a fan of the wheels and tires but those can be swapped out. I personally love the tires on the Willys.

i’m looking for some constructive input. Weighing a high alt 4XE vs a sahara 4XE
Installed the steel rubi front and rear bumpers and replaced the tires and sidesteps. Now have the bells and whistles of the high altitude (love the interior) and the meatiness of the rubicon. What’s the difference at this point? Selec-trac vs rock trac? 4:1 vs 3.73 rear axel? I have exactly what I want. I’ll get a 2 dr rubi for those crazy trails

hybrid3.0

First Name
Erin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JGC
High Altitude 4xe billet silver/black, LSD, with sky one touch roof on order. I was looking for a highly optioned rubi or sahara and checking the high altitude package gets you there plus comes with an incredible interior that is otherwise unavailable on the other trims. On the Rubicon, you pay a premium for each option and eventually I would end up with lockers, sway bar disconnect and knobby tires which ride poorly on the street and all of this capability would never be used by me in the mid-West where I live. I doubt many of the $55k-60k Rubicons I see around here are being bounced off rocks, but they look great and I am sure enjoyed by their owners. I like the High Altitude package because it exudes class, has street tuning yet is fully off-road capable when that day comes. Paint coordinated bits means many years of luster vs. sun fade on matte black vinyl/plastic pieces. For the 99.9% of the time I am driving on the street, I want a lifestyle vehicle that can run in the open air in complete luxury, has tons of factory and aftermarket support for individual customization and still has off-road Wrangler DNA with a rear LSD that treks through snow/mud which is common where I live. Lockers, bumpers, lift and other things can be done at some future date to create a purpose-built boulder climber.

StanleyCup99

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler wannabe
Installed the steel rubi front and rear bumpers and replaced the tires and sidesteps. Now have the bells and whistles of the high altitude (love the interior) and the meatiness of the rubicon. What’s the difference at this point? Selec-trac vs rock trac? 4:1 vs 3.73 rear axel? I have exactly what I want. I’ll get a 2 dr rubi for those crazy trails
In terms of potential upgrades, you hit the nail right on the head for me... upgraded wheels and tires and maybe the bumpers.... gives it a bit of ruggedness.

I’d probably hold off on some solid tubular side steps until my little kids get a bit older... I don’t need them stepping up and slipping off. 🤣

JEC_PA

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU
I too have the 3.0 Diesel and love it, just ordered Ridge Grapplers to give it a more rugged look.

Sponsored

Bruce Willys

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Willys, 2021 Wrangler Unlimited High Altitude

Because it can't do (in stock form) what the Wrangler is made for doing, which is going offroad. Its street tires and oversized wheels are a liability off of the pavement, as well as the painted bumpers and mirrors. And it costs more than a Rubicon, so you'd be choosing looks over ability which is sure to piss off/confuse the purists.

Personally, I buy vehicles for my own enjoyment and really don't care what others think. (I owned a Fiat 500 Abarth at one point, loved that little thing despite its stupid/wimpy appearance, and I'm a masculine guy with a beard who usually wore steel toed boots, jeans, and Carthartt at the time). I bought my Jeep because of what I can do with it, which is wheeling and exploring the forest. I wouldn't ever consider buying a High Altitude because it doesn't fulfill my needs/wants. My wife bought one and absolutely loves it to death though. Her priorities are very different than mine, and that's fine. It doesn't make one of us right and one of us wrong, different people like different things. The world would be a better place if people learned to accept that their preferences may not be right for someone else.

When she was searching for her next vehicle, her requirements were that it be:

-4 wheel drive or AWD
-A convertible

Those two wants severely limited the playing field of options. She had it narrowed down to the Audi TT and the Wrangler (Lol, I know right). She has always loved the looks of the Wrangler, and her dream car is a new G-Class. I've always told her that the Wrangler doesn't handle like a car and that unless you offroad, its silly to buy one. She kept bringing it up, so I said let's go test drive one knowing that once she drove one, she'd hate it compared to the TT. She loved it to my surprise after driving both the 2.0T and 3.6 back to back.

While looking at the different trims and options, she absolutely fell in love with the High Altitude (to my despair, I was getting excited at the idea of having a new toy once she started getting serious about getting one). After seeing one in person, all of the other trims with plastic mirrors and bumpers looked bad in her opinion. We ordered one and she has been loving it ever since which is all that matters. We have two JL Wranglers in the house now, but they seem like completely different models hopping in from one to the other. To the casual observer who isn't a Jeep freak, the High Altitude has a commanding expensive appearance that my Willys lacks. Mine looks tough, hers looks expensive to Joe Schmoe.

StanleyCup99

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler wannabe
Because it can't do (in stock form) what the Wrangler is made for doing, which is going offroad. Its street tires and oversized wheels are a liability off of the pavement, as well as the painted bumpers and mirrors. And it costs more than a Rubicon, so you'd be choosing looks over ability which is sure to piss off/confuse the purists.

Personally, I buy vehicles for my own enjoyment and really don't care what others think. (I owned a Fiat 500 Abarth at one point, loved that little thing despite its stupid/wimpy appearance, and I'm a masculine guy with a beard who usually wore steel toed boots, jeans, and Carthartt at the time). I bought my Jeep because of what I can do with it, which is wheeling and exploring the forest. I wouldn't ever consider buying a High Altitude because it doesn't fulfill my needs/wants. My wife bought one and absolutely loves it to death though. Her priorities are very different than mine, and that's fine. It doesn't make one of us right and one of us wrong, different people like different things. The world would be a better place if people learned to accept that their preferences may not be right for someone else.

When she was searching for her next vehicle, her requirements were that it be:

-4 wheel drive or AWD
-A convertible

Those two wants severely limited the playing field of options. She had it narrowed down to the Audi TT and the Wrangler (Lol, I know right). She has always loved the looks of the Wrangler, and her dream car is a new G-Class. I've always told her that the Wrangler doesn't handle like a car and that unless you offroad, its silly to buy one. She kept bringing it up, so I said let's go test drive one knowing that once she drove one, she'd hate it compared to the TT. She loved it to my surprise after driving both the 2.0T and 3.6 back to back.

While looking at the different trims and options, she absolutely fell in love with the High Altitude (to my despair, I was getting excited at the idea of having a new toy once she started getting serious about getting one). After seeing one in person, all of the other trims with plastic mirrors and bumpers looked bad in her opinion. We ordered one and she has been loving it ever since which is all that matters. We have two JL Wranglers in the house now, but they seem like completely different models hopping in from one to the other. To the casual observer who isn't a Jeep freak, the High Altitude has a commanding expensive appearance that my Willys lacks. Mine looks tough, hers looks expensive to Joe Schmoe.
Great stuff there, man. Thanks for the input.
so I just ordered my high altitude 4XE with skytop. I will be the person mostly driving it, but my wife will be driving as well.... and the two of us liked the more refined look/cleaner lines created by the body color components. A tire and wheel upgrade will be in our near future!

hybrid3.0

First Name
Erin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JGC
Yes, the High Altitude has a place just like the G-class Wagon for those looking for a daily driver with luxury and safety content but also something capable in snow, mud and off-road conditions. Mercedes makes a great vehicle (and charges accordingly), but I think the 2018 JLU chassis on the High Altitude may actually have some advantages to a platform that basically was designed in 1977.

Tunderhill

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Rubicon 392XR
Yes, the High Altitude has a place just like the G-class Wagon for those looking for a daily driver with luxury and safety content but also something capable in snow, mud and off-road conditions. Mercedes makes a great vehicle (and charges accordingly), but I think the 2018 JLU chassis on the High Altitude may actually have some advantages to a platform that basically was designed in 1977.
I agree with you completely.

I wouldn’t (didn’t) take the Mercedes g-class over the wrangler high altitude. If properly set up, the JLU is a superior vehicle. I’ve had jeeps all My life. Made in America with a legendary history. It’s a completely different buyer.

Pa Phil

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler High Altitude, 2018 Audi TTRS
Just picked up my High Altitude after a mopar 2" lift and Falken Wildpeak 35-12.5r20. Falken recommends 8.5" rim but my tire place said it shouldn't be a problem on 8" rim, NO Spacers, No Rub. Rides great and YES I do see 8th gear on the highway. still need to get tuner to adjust speedo and want to drop pressure a little but very happy how it turned out. An ugly day out but wanted to post a photo so everyone can see.

I also put on the Mopar clone tailgate re-enforcement (amazon $109) and Redrock tire relocation bracket, tire is solid and enough room so backup sensors don't false alarm.
Jeep Wrangler JL HIGH ALTITUDE Edition JL Club Thread image0
Sponsored