First Name
Hayden
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 4dr, 2018 JLR 2dr, 2017 F350
Occupation
Operating engineer
On my cj5 I had a hidden switch that cut the power to the coil to help prevent theft. Does anyone do something like this when your topless?

11CEF3ED-C64B-4FD0-9791-D0B8CDB32E9D.jpeg
Sponsored

SH556JL

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLR M6 RIP, 23 JLR M6
On the manual, you could easily pull the clutch position sensor... It’s not gonna easily start unless you push start or something. It also isn’t immediately noticed.

Rubigone

First Name
Marvin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon
If you have a push button start they can jump in and push all they want and it still won’t start. You need to press the unlock button on the fob to activate the button.

OP
OP
Subicon

Subicon

First Name
Hayden
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Operating engineer
Ok… so without the fob there is no way to start them? If that is so it gives me peace of mind when leaving it.

Rubigone

First Name
Marvin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon
Ok… so without the fob there is no way to start them?
Unless they manage to clone your key, but then it doesn’t really matter if you have the top on or not. This is usually done when people park their cars in their driveway over night, i don’t think Jeeps are as subjected to this kind of theft though, it’s usually cars worth north of six figures.

Sponsored

SH556JL

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLR M6 RIP, 23 JLR M6
Ok… so without the fob there is no way to start them?
With the key fob present, the Jeep would not turn over with the clutch position sensor unplugged. Pushing the clutch in and push start will do nothing, as if the clutch isn’t being pushed in and isn’t immediately noticeable (even when looking under the hood). It would however startup with the ignition in the on position and you push start it… Something no criminal would do or at least would slow them down (more so with a hood lock, harder to open the hood and plug it back in).

EDIT:
This is also completely overkill… I only done this when hiding the key in the vehicle and leaving it at the airport for someone else to catch on their return flight and I was flying out.

I also discovered this by accident when installing my ARB air compressor…

OP
OP
Subicon

Subicon

First Name
Hayden
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Operating engineer
This all great news,,,, thanks

Chocolate Thunder

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Just remove the fuel pump fuse. Don’t take it all the way out, disconnect it just enough so that it’s not making contact and leave it in place. It won’t be noticed as the problem. It would have to be towed to steal it. Simply press it into place to drive.

Garry in AZ

First Name
Garry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 2 Door Rubicon, 3 pedal club.
Occupation
Engineering
All of the above suggestions are excellent. I would prefer a method that prevents the would be thief from cranking the engine and running the battery dead trying to start it.
The best way I have very successfully used, is to install a hidden switch that is connected to a typical Bosch relay. The relay is then used to interrupt the starter solenoid wire, preventing cranking.

Sponsored

Carolina Jeeper

First Name
Rollie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mojito! Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Electronics Technician at R. J. Reynolds
I'm going to say that the best option is to stop even an unauthorized person with a functioning key fob.

I have used a faulty relay or a faulty fuse in place of a good one in other vehicles. Most thieves are not going to take the time to troubleshoot it. Besides, I really doubt they bring extra parts with them.

I'm still working on the idea of disabling the brake pedal signal for start and to get out of park. Some have stated it's not a good idea since it could increase resistance in that circuit. I'm not so sure it's that picky since theres already a switch on it.

jaymz

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon Unlimited
Run of the mill thieves aren’t going to steal anything that’s push button start without a key or a tow truck.

Professionals will get your car no matter what you do if they want it.

Keep your insurance up and don’t worry about it.

Antonio

First Name
Antonio
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLU Rubicon diesel
I’d be more concerned with loosing or misplacing your cell phone these days then the jeep top being off, this all guardian app from Sirius which has remote start ability to lock unlock etc would give anyone who could grab your phone from you or find an unlocked phone access to your vehicle location and the other goodies, all this technology is great but it’s all stuff that can be hacked, so as pointed out by other members if the person trying to steal your car is a pro at it, then he’s taking it! One way or another!
Sponsored