Hidden Fees when I went to sign

thepred

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Wrangler Unlimited 2018 Wrangler Unlimited
I went into my dealer to order a new JLU armed with the Canadian buyers guide. I had the quote done up for the Jeep I want ordered. My question is, at the top of teh order guy there is a fee for Destination Charge of $1795 and then a fee of $500 for holdback in $DLRP. What are these two? When I got my bill of sale the added charges were:
$399 Tire and Rim
$22 Tire Tax (this is a provincial thing)
$13.20 License Fee
$395 Admin Fee
$173.28 Bank Registration Fee
For a grand total of $1002.48
Is the $399 for Tire and Rim that optional BS tire and Rim warranty? Should the rest of those fees not have been covered bt the $1795 destination Charge and the $500 holdback?
Hate feeling like I am not getting what we agreed upon.
Thanks in advance.
Sponsored

OP
OP

thepred

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
This is the Bill of sale

bill of sales.jpg

ToolMan514

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Rubicon 4xe
If you look at the Canada Order Guide, the Destination Charge is written at the top of the page for each trim level, and there is also other dealership charges that would differ from what you see in online pricing. However, you should be able to get a decent discount below the online build price (mine was close to $5,000 less). In Canada, the MSRP and DLRP are not the same as the US. Our MSRP is equivalent to their DLRP (almost exactly after exchange). So expect to pay something in between the two prices on the Order Guide. My final sale price was about $1,500 above DLRP, which -- when comparing to the % below invoice that everybody quotes -- was 10.2% below US invoice price... But we pay more taxes in Canada.

In your breakdown, I have no clue what "tire & rim" is... The Admin Fee is (my words) your dealer's guarantee on profit above invoice. My license fees got paid directly to the SAAQ, and I had $17.25 tire tax and $61 in other fees...

OP
OP

thepred

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
This is what I did so I could compare Invoice to MSRP. I expected to go in and pay $51,520. They agreed on Invoice price. Which my invoice price should have all the added fees covered by the "Destination Charge" and "Holdback". Is that correct?

My Jeep.jpg

ToolMan514

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Rubicon 4xe
My sales agreement with the dealer was $1,000 above base invoice, but that really means I paid about $2,500 total above the dealer's invoice price. That price included destination and other FCA charges. The "holdback" charge should be the same as the dealership admin fee, not paid on top (my understanding). I don't see that on my invoices anywhere.

Here was my breakdown from back in April. I was comparing to US prices to know the difference, but the exchange rate is from today. Base prices have changed a little since April.

PricingDetails201804.png

Sponsored

old8tora

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 JK Sport
This is what I did so I could compare Invoice to MSRP. I expected to go in and pay $51,520. They agreed on Invoice price. Which my invoice price should have all the added fees covered by the "Destination Charge" and "Holdback". Is that correct?

My Jeep.jpg

So , what did you do ? What happened ?

Ron_H

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara in Punk'n Metallic
Occupation
Retired and spending the kid's inheritance
First off, I must confess that I was a car salesman way back in the early 70's. In the past 45+ years, the car sales process and tactics have changed little so I was able to utilize that knowledge to engineer a hassle free purchase experience and purchase our JLU Sahara at the lowest OTD (out the door) price available i9n this area.

Most of the above issues resulted from focusing on the "car" portion of the price. I have found it is more effective to deal on an OTD price, allowing the dealer to place whatever names they want on charges because at the end of the day, its the full amount of your check that's important.

Since mine was a factory order, everyone involved was dealing with exactly the same vehicle and its cost. This, combined with OTD pricing meant there was no room to add hidden price charges or quote on a "slightly" different vehicle.

I lookup my the MSRP and Invoice pricing on the web. I then send an RFQ (request for quotation) to each of the dealers in this and the surrounding area, about a 300-mile range. I told them that I had invited them and a limited number of other dealers to provide their best OTD pricing and I would be placing and putting a deposit on my order in 7 days. I also included some additional questions to help determine their flexibility and customer attitude.

A week later I had the best pricing offered in the area but found the dealer offering that price did not seem customer focused. I phoned the salesperson from a more customer friendly dealer and thanked him for providing the pricing but apologized for having to go to another dealer offering a $300 better price. He, of course, stated that they would match that price. I was in their showroom a couple of hours later and put down our deposit.

I took delivery of our Punk'n Metallic JLU Sahara from a Vancouver area dealer on Aug 2nd.

Its list price was $57,615 and dealer invoice was $52,317. My OTD price, including all dealer fees and charges, excluding sales tax, was $53,100.
Sponsored