Hi-Lift vs Bottle Jack off-road?

TRZ

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR, Ocean Blue
One problem with a Highlift is if you have a flexy suspension, the Highlift may top out. Since the bottle jack can go under the axle, you run a lower risk of topping out and the jacking solution will probably be more stable.
Sponsored

OP
OP
TJ2018

TJ2018

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Punk'n JLUR; 2020 Silverado Trail Boss
Vehicle Showcase
A hi-lift is more useful as a makeshift winch for lifting your rig off/over/around/out of an obstacle; I'll use a bottle jack for pretty much everything else.
So if I already have a winch that would push me towards a bottle jack? That's how I'm leaning based on much of the input to this thread. Thanks!

Tech Tim

Summit Sponsor (Level 3)
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4x4 of all kinds
Occupation
Part of the Northridge4x4 team
The Hi-Lift is one of the most useful tools most people will never fully use or even need. If you want to get the most out of a Hi-Lift or just feel safer using one, find a local off road trainer and go through a class. You'll be amazed at what a Hi-Lift can do.

The 60" Hi-Lift Xtreme is my favorite of the bunch.

The new ARB Jack is a great alternative and would probably replace the Hi-Lift for a large segment of off road enthusiasts if it wasn't for the price.

The Safe-Jacks are pretty cool, just make sure to look the base and base stabilizer if you go that route.

Last edited:
OP
OP
TJ2018

TJ2018

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
The new ARB Jack is a great alternative and would probably replace the Hi-Lift for a large segment of off road enthusiasts if it wasn't for the price.
That ARB jack IS nice... if MWNO I'd definitely go that route. And thanks for the tips! Always appreciate your input!

Martindfletcher

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ducati 1299s, 2018 JLUR
That ARB jack IS nice... if MWNO I'd definitely go that route. And thanks for the tips! Always appreciate your input!
It’s certainly way to pricey to leave on the outside of the jeep, at least it’s light enough to load and unload.

Sponsored

XJ253

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1999 XJ
So if I already have a winch that would push me towards a bottle jack? That's how I'm leaning based on much of the input to this thread. Thanks!
Yep, they're good as a makeshift manual winch if you don't have an electric, and if you have the proper attachment points, you can go in any direction. They're still useful in a pinch if you don't have a bottle jack or need enough space to change out a coil spring, but a bit more prone to tipping as you'll be lifting from a much higher point on the vehicle (rocker or bumper). If you're just changing out something on the axle, a bottle will do just fine and be a bit safer.

pokey02

First Name
Melissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLR, 2020 JCW, 2022 JTRD
Vehicle Showcase
A little late to the party but my vote goes to a bottle Jack for sure. Hi-lifts can be dangerous. Bottle Jack's are simpler to use.

OP
OP
TJ2018

TJ2018

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
A little late to the party but my vote goes to a bottle Jack for sure. Hi-lifts can be dangerous. Bottle Jack's are simpler to use.
Better late than never! And I appreciate the input :)

OP
OP
TJ2018

TJ2018

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
BTW... nice color choice on your JLR on order! :like:

Mud2Sno

First Name
Mickey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR Rubicon
I use both and if I need to lift wheel I can use hi-lift with soft shackle thru rim if I need a lot of lift

Sponsored

ads75

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 2Door JL Rubicon in Mojito, 2022 Rivian R1T
Those recommending bottle jacks, is there one better than another, one to recommend? Or are they all pretty much the same? Extensions?

RubiSc0tt

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR in Punk'n Orange
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Turn Wrenches/ Write code
I have the factory Jack (That can be used similar to a bottle jack), and my Hi-Lift w/ base. I've only ever used my Hi-Lift to change tires on the trail (TJ, JKUR) and maybe possibly occasionally to get my TJ's off the ground and get jacks under them when I didn't have access to a mechanic's jack (Don't try that at home or unsupervised).

I'll go against the grain and say I'd use a Hi-Lift Jack on the trail over a bottle jack, but with one caveat: You have to be super careful, know the risks (instability, and the kickback on that handle can break your jaw if you're not careful), have a solid and stable jacking point, and the jack has to be properly equipped/ maintained. I've never had issues when I've needed to use my Hi-Lift, but I also had enough experienced people to supervise and make sure I didn't do anything stupid to get hurt.

JIMBOX

First Name
JAMES
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CHEROKEE TRAILHAWK/ JEEP GLADIATOR
Occupation
RETIRED
They, used to sell them in QUADRATECK--

Here's a couple pic's of my use in my ;08 JKUR-
may12HiLift004.jpg

may12HiLift007.jpg

I don't know if they still sell them, but they are super for keeping a snowy/muddy HiLift crap off of EVERYTHING-

JIMBO
Good luck
I hear about these, but have never seen one. Got a link to them for sale?

TylerR

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
I’ve mentioned it a couple times on the forums, but seriously considering a porta power. Seems like it could handle both issues along with a few other things like trail damage. I just can’t decide on brand.

Super Deal Porta Power Hydraulic Jack Repair Tool Kit Power Set Auto Tool, 10 Ton https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01H3DM4PU/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_2AC.CbQHR1T8J

C1193C55-8E6D-40C1-9AC3-FCA1ADF7CFAE.jpeg
Sponsored