Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
New 2019 JL
Occupation
Plumber
Vehicle Showcase
Hi folks, I just purchased a Hi Lift Jack, tree straps, d-rings, rear receiver hook, a strong synthetic rope and snatch blocks.
I searched the forum but could only find mounting threads. Has anyone used a Hi Lift for recovery? If so did it work well? I don’t off road much and prefer to not install a winch but would like to be prepared for problems in the woods. Especially that I’m alone most times.
Thanks in advance.
Sponsored

cosine

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Sport jl
Occupation
Gone Postal
keep in mind that the hi lift jack should not be used as a jack to jack up the jeep to do repairs or change a tire. the base is unstable. i've seen jeep fall off the hi lift. i know that is one function, but never liked that idea.

besides that, the hi lift is pretty useful for a lot of things. it sounds like your main purpose for the hi lift is used as a winch. the jack is a very simple tool that will provide good use. get to know how the jack works and how to set it up. make sure the strap is secured to the jack and watch for any signs of anything that could go south where it will be under tension. you might want to get yourself a longer pole to slip over the handle or in it place. the longer pole will give you better leverage. you mentioned in getting chains. imo, i rather have straps vs chains. because i've seen chains break and causes damage. straps snaps but less likely will cause damage.

Sponsored

OP
OP
sf5211

sf5211

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
New 2019 JL
Occupation
Plumber
Vehicle Showcase
keep in mind that the hi lift jack should not be used as a jack to jack up the jeep to do repairs or change a tire. the base is unstable. i've seen jeep fall off the hi lift. i know that is one function, but never liked that idea.

besides that, the hi lift is pretty useful for a lot of things. it sounds like your main purpose for the hi lift is used as a winch. the jack is a very simple tool that will provide good use. get to know how the jack works and how to set it up. make sure the strap is secured to the jack and watch for any signs of anything that could go south where it will be under tension. you might want to get yourself a longer pole to slip over the handle or in it place. the longer pole will give you better leverage. you mentioned in getting chains. imo, i rather have straps vs chains. because i've seen chains break and causes damage. straps snaps but less likely will cause damage.
Thank you for the advice Chris. You called it. I’m more interested in the winching aspect. I’ve actually bought chain, synthetic rope and straps. I’m only going to bring this stuff while upstate or snowstorms.
Upstate there’s one section of mud I drive through. I always worry I’m going to hit it and the Jeep’s gonna bog down.
The first nice weekend we have here I plan to learn the Jacks features and set up. I’m fairly mechanically inclined but will indeed be careful if pulling. Thanks again.

Roky

First Name
Roky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks for the video A.S., I bought that kit too. I think I’ll buy 3/8” chain as well.
Hi Steve...... what that video doesn’t show is the guy going into cardiac arrest after that....lol......the hi lift is great for short pulls or as a secondary anchor to keep from sliding sideways while being pulled out.

I’ve used it for a longer pull , took hours , when the winch would’ve taken minutes. Was in my chevy 4x4 hunting at the time many, many years ago , no winch and the hi lift was the guys that got stuck. I’ve not been without a winch since, lol.

Have you considered a portable winch. Harbor freight has a winch plate that works in your hitch receiver. I’ve seen guys put hitch on the front and cover it with flip up license plate.

Anyway.... just some food for thought.... you’ll likely never need it anyway, but it’s great for peace of mind.......:)

Last edited:

cosine

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Sport jl
Occupation
Gone Postal
@sf5211 where upstate do you go. @Roky did bring up a good point. eventho the jack does most of the hard work. you will get a workout as well. if you plan the pull just right, it should be breeze.

Adventure.AS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
keep in mind that the hi lift jack should not be used as a jack to jack up the jeep to do repairs or change a tire. the base is unstable. i've seen jeep fall off the hi lift. i know that is one function, but never liked that idea. ...
Hi-Lift has a number of accessories, including a wide base, that help to stabilize the jack when lifting. The Lift-Mate is also a handy piece of kit for lifting a wheel to get something in the hole under the tire.

Kreepin1

First Name
Kirk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1982 CJ7, 2006 TJ, 2012 JKR, 2021 JLR
Build Thread
Link

Logically, everything you say makes sense. Having done this, I'll have to disagree.

The Hi-Lift does not need a longer handle. The one supplied has plenty of leverage and you are swinging that this back and fourth over and over so less is more.

The Hi-Lift has a limited pulling distance. You need something to reach your anchor point and something to attach to the vehicle. Any stretch in these takes away from the limited pulling distance the jack provides - to the point where you can't even move the vehicle. We were unable to use a tow strap because it stretched so much. I love synthetic rope on my winches, but it does stretch - especially when new. I would look into two length's of 5/16" grade 70 chain and test how you are going to hook up the jack.

If you are trying to pull you vehicle out of a hole or back onto the trail it will have a tendency to slide back when you go to reset the jack for the next pull. We ended up using a come-along to hold it in place while shortening up the chain. Super sketchy.

A Hi-Lift is fantastic for lifting a tire so that you can reseat a bead or change a tire. You do need to place logs or rocks under the axle just like you would put a jack stand under it in your garage.

The most common injury when using a Hi-Lift occurs when lowering the vehicle down. The handle wants to fly up on the second half of the stroke and if you are not prepared for the force and in the path of the handle it can cause serious injury.

Sponsored

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Winching with a HiLift ain't for me.

cosine

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Sport jl
Occupation
Gone Postal
Hi-Lift has a number of accessories, including a wide base, that help to stabilize the jack when lifting. The Lift-Mate is also a handy piece of kit for lifting a wheel to get something in the hole under the tire.
i know about the wide base. but thats more to prevent the jack from sinking in the mud, etc. the base that attaches to the jack is not tight, where it has room to move around. unless the jack have improved, its still the same technology when it first came out. still its not suitable to be used as a jack. dont get me wrong here. it is handy when theres no other option when a tire needs to be replaced out on the trail. i prefer to get on to a suitable spot on the trail and get out the bottle jack to jack up the jeep to change the tire.its much safer.

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer
i know about the wide base. but thats more to prevent the jack from sinking in the mud, etc. the base that attaches to the jack is not tight, where it has room to move around. unless the jack have improved, its still the same technology when it first came out. still its not suitable to be used as a jack. dont get me wrong here. it is handy when theres no other option when a tire needs to be replaced out on the trail. i prefer to get on to a suitable spot on the trail and get out the bottle jack to jack up the jeep to change the tire.its much safer.
What I don't like about bottle jacks is having to be under the vehicle to jack the axle to pump the jack and open the valve to lower and the base is very small and smooth. I like a scissor jack for the extensions to wind the jack up and down without being under the vehicle when jacking the axle. Although they also have their issues. I carry an aluminum floor jack in my truck, which is great on hard ground, but limited in some off road situations. I suppose having more than one type of jack onboard is better. I'm going to carry an oversize (30") scissor jack, with an expanded base and interchangeable saddles, along with my HiLift when off-roading.

cosine

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Sport jl
Occupation
Gone Postal
i'm not disagreeing with you, since you do have some valid points. guess it comes down to personal preference.

The Hi-Lift does not need a longer handle. The one supplied has plenty of leverage and you are swinging that this back and fourth over and over so less is more.
the supplied handle would be good enough. at the time i wrote this, i was also thinking of a ratchet type setup. where a longer stroke will give you more. the jack only goes one hole at a time.

If you are trying to pull you vehicle out of a hole or back onto the trail it will have a tendency to slide back when you go to reset the jack for the next pull. We ended up using a come-along to hold it in place while shortening up the chain. Super sketchy.
The Hi-Lift has a limited pulling distance.
agreed. at this point you are better off on using a winch. but what steve needed is just a little bit of recovery. he nows the trail that he is on and it doesnt require a full recovery setup. the hi lift looks like it plenty for what he needs. just about any trail here in upstate ny will have plenty of anchor point to choose from. so a short recovery fits.

yes the straps stretches. this is where you need know what straps to use. steve has tree strap. which will work. as for the chains, i'm not saying not to use them. but the straps are better and safer to use. plus less damage when using them to hook up the jeep.

A Hi-Lift is fantastic for lifting a tire so that you can reseat a bead or change a tire. You do need to place logs or rocks under the axle just like you would put a jack stand under it in your garage.
agreed. and forgot to mentioned it.

again steve is just looking for a little insureance if he gets stuck on the trail he uses. he's mechanically incline to know how to go about things. the hi lift is pretty easy to use and just need to know the ins / outs of using it.

cosine

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Sport jl
Occupation
Gone Postal
What I don't like about bottle jacks is having to be under the vehicle to jack the axle to pump the jack and open the valve to lower and the base is very small and smooth. I like a scissor jack for the extensions to wind the jack up and down without being under the vehicle when jacking the axle. Although they also have their issues. I carry an aluminum floor jack in my truck, which is great on hard ground, but limited in some off road situations. I suppose having more than one type of jack onboard is better. I'm going to carry an oversize (30") scissor jack, with an expanded base and interchangeable saddles, along with my HiLift when off-roading.
agreed. the floor jack by all means is the best choice. i rather use that vs anything else. the scissor jack is ok but can be a pain. i hear you on the bottle jack handle and the valve screw. this is where you can mod the handle by putting a longer handle on it. the way you are not under the truck.
Sponsored