Roky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
What I don't like about bottle jacks is having to be under the vehicle to jack the axle to pump the jack and open the valve to lower and the base is very small and smooth. I like a scissor jack for the extensions to wind the jack up and down without being under the vehicle when jacking the axle. Although they also have their issues. I carry an aluminum floor jack in my truck, which is great on hard ground, but limited in some off road situations. I suppose having more than one type of jack onboard is better. I'm going to carry an oversize (30") scissor jack, with an expanded base and interchangeable saddles, along with my HiLift when off-roading.
Plus one on the scissor jack, this is how I change a tire on the trail. Mac daddy impact with a 13mm socket jacks her up in seconds. The hi lift base plate gives me the extra few inches I need with 37s, and also keeps from sinking in the sandy soil here...

Jeep Wrangler JL Hi Lift Jack Recovery 2BF613AC-5C0D-4CD6-93BF-03639F0F3787
Sponsored

JeepinJason33

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, 2021 GCL, 1997 TJ, 1983 Chief FSJ
Clubs

I have used the above base with my hi lift jack several times. It seems that rarely do breakdowns happen on level ground and the additional height he hi lift jack has can be helpful, especially if the Jeep is over boulders or similar and you have to place the hi lift between them at a distance lower than the tires. Key is to always lay a spare tire or something down in case the lift of any kind fails.

OP
OP
sf5211

sf5211

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
New 2019 JL
Occupation
Plumber
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks for all the advise guys. I haven't gotten stuck yet so I'm going to stick with the HI Lift. I have both chain, strap and rope. Even if I do a portable winch I still have to hook up power.
I don't think I'll have a problem with leverage at the handle. I'm a big ugly sucker. I used to be built like a linebacker, now I'm more built like an O lineman. Haha
My older brother has a house in Morris N.Y. not far from Oneonta or Cooperstown. I usually just ride the quad trails in the back woods. I mentioned I've never been stuck but I did get lost once. Thats pretty scary too. Lol. It was like the Blair Witch Project every path I took turned into a dead end or giant downed tree. I was like "how the f**k did I get in here?

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Thanks for all the advise guys. I haven't gotten stuck yet so I'm going to stick with the HI Lift. I have both chain, strap and rope. Even if I do a portable winch I still have to hook up power.
I don't think I'll have a problem with leverage at the handle. I'm a big ugly sucker. I used to be built like a linebacker, now I'm more built like an O lineman. Haha
My older brother has a house in Morris N.Y. not far from Oneonta or Cooperstown. I usually just ride the quad trails in the back woods. I mentioned I've never been stuck but I did get lost once. Thats pretty scary too. Lol. It was like the Blair Witch Project every path I took turned into a dead end or giant downed tree. I was like "how the f**k did I get in here?
Some kind of traction mat or board would seem to be a good idea too.

Whiskey 13

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JLU Black Rubicon, LOD Signature Mid Width Bumper, Smittybilt Gen 3 12000 Lb. Winch Syn. Rope, Teraflex 1.5" Leveling Kit, Weather Tech Form Fit Mats, ROAM MK 3 Frame Mounted Rock Rails
If you ever use a hi lift jack for a real recovery, the next day you will buy a winch. I always have my hi lift with me as a backup, assist, or for a stabilizer but it would never be my go to item for use in recovery operations. Don't mind a workout but that is a workout.

DWaX

First Name
D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
It is well worth it to get a winch. A Hi lift will work almost all situations, but in an environment of mud or snow there is simply to many variables of risk. The lift brings risk of vehicle movement and or slipping in multiple directions. It's a last resort winch, but decent for emergency tire lift or change.

A winch maintained and used properly limits the risk to vehicle and persons. With a single point of pull, it's predictable.

WaX
Sponsored