Sponsored

Hi-Lift Jack mounted to back of rear seat.

joenewms

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Rubicon
Jeep Wrangler JL Hi-Lift Jack mounted to back of rear seat. 20200918_090248
Jeep Wrangler JL Hi-Lift Jack mounted to back of rear seat. 20200918_090702
I wanted to mount the jack somewhere inside but didn't like any of the mounts offered. Most mount them high on the roll bar which is nice and out of the way but interfere with the soft top folding back.

So I built this mount to secure the jack using the child seat anchors on the back of the rear seat using J-bolts. Mount is super solid and I added some Star Wars flare just for my son.

Curious on y'alls thoughts. I've never seen anyone mount it here before. Anyone see any issues with it? I know the seats can't be folded down (unless you do both) but I only plan on having it mounted when I do wheeling trips. I've driven it around town for several days now and with the base zip-tied in place and a glove between the handle and frame it doesn't rattle at all. Solid!!!
Sponsored

jollyjerry

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 JLU Willys Sport, 89 CRX Si, 90 Buick Reatta
Very clever! What length jack is that? Mine doesn't have the subwoofer, so I should be able to fit a 36" jack (39.5 x 10.5 x 5" dimensions according to amazon) across the floor behind the seats (40" across). I'd be able to fit the 42" across the shallow spots, but something like your mount would be great to hold it in place. I wonder if I could even use 3 velcro straps through the jack holes against the latch anchors...

Stock Willys Sport with 32" tires, think the 36" is sufficient as a hand winch / light off road jack, but would be nice to have the extra flexibility of the 42" if storage was easy. Also have a soft stop, and use it all the time, so pass on the sports bar mount.

Not a fan of mounting it outside because I like a simple stock look. Open to the tailgate mount if I can't find something better. I bet the hood and hinge mounts noise on the hwy would bug me. Jeep's already loud, but rather not add more noise.

Bill_P

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2023 JLUWSXR
Occupation
Can't tell you..shhh
I'm not a fan of inside mounting because if it breaks loose in an accident now you have another 40 pound chunk of steel to worry about. I also hate the hood mounts for the same reason. The jack is right in line with your head. I'm thinking about figuring out a mount on the front bumper for when I go wheeling. I have a bottle jack for EDC.

jollyjerry

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

Jimac

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
I'm not a fan of inside mounting because if it breaks loose in an accident now you have another 40 pound chunk of steel to worry about. I also hate the hood mounts for the same reason. The jack is right in line with your head. I'm thinking about figuring out a mount on the front bumper for when I go wheeling. I have a bottle jack for EDC.
Hereā€™s mine, great brush guard. I have always had one since the 60ā€™s on Jeeps but rarely used.

F000A5FF-E024-4361-AE1A-3668C20C9672.jpeg

Sponsored

Bill_P

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2023 JLUWSXR
Occupation
Can't tell you..shhh
Hereā€™s mine, great brush guard. I have always had one since the 60ā€™s on Jeeps but rarely used.

Jeep Wrangler JL Hi-Lift Jack mounted to back of rear seat. F000A5FF-E024-4361-AE1A-3668C20C9672
That's something like I was looking at doing. I'm not entirely sure on what bumper I'm getting yet but if it has a round bar I'm going to do a setup exactly like yours and only use it when I go wheeling. I also have a tailgate mount off my old Jeep that I may consider breaking back out for trips but I don't know if it will work with the tailgate reinforcement I'm getting with my XR. It probably won't.

jollyjerry

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Those look like some handy little brackets, but my good the price. $4 worth of scrap steel, a drill, and and angle grinder would save about $200.
How I feel about most Jeep small businesses. But I get it. It's a low volume, US made, likely 1-man operation. They're not getting rich on these, and there'll be a handful of buyers that won't blink at $200.

hoch

First Name
Hoch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
The only issue Iā€™d have is when Iā€™m out wheeling, itā€™s packed full of stuff in the back. Iā€™d hate to dig it out when needed. I like the tailgate mount option personally.
Sponsored