Sponsored

Hi-Lift Jack Mount Choice Assistance

LittleDog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sahara JLU
@LittleDog does the skid stick out far enough to keep the spare from catching if one decides to drop off a really high ledge? Bonus points if you can take a pic from the side :)
Wow, that would have to be a near vertical ledge. Not many rocks near me, so no experience there.

It certainly doesn't stick out past the stock spare, because I can't use it without opening the tailgate.

Bu even if it's missing a inch or two of overshoot, I'd imagine that forward momentum would carry the spare past the straight shot vertically from the end of the skid. Plus, there's an angle at the end, so that would help push you off.

I still have the stock tire carrier, so any aftermarket ones will push it back a bit and change the clearance, but probably raise it too. I'll grab a pic when I have the chance. There's a hitch tray on there right now.
Sponsored

AcesandEights

First Name
Aces
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Rubicon 2D, with extra guacamole
Occupation
I'm often occupied, by many things, often at the same time
I can't say I have ever heard of an offroad park requiring it. Seems like they would alienate a lot of customers.
Not sure about interference with soft top. I've never used the interior mounts. I had a hi lift with my JK and just chucked it in the back when I offroaded. I hated having more unsprung weight though.

Good luck in your search.
The rules don't read that way, but I guess you could interpret it that way if you already want one :) You just need a working jack and a base, but that can be the stock jack and plywood base if you wanted. I think the OP just really wants to mount a hi-lift.

Edited to add: went back and read the other posts and someone already cut and paste the rules, haha, but you're right.

BDinTX

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubicon Recon, 2021 JLU Rubicon
None of you guys are going to be using this dumb thing, save ur dough
I am interested in one actually, particularly if it sticks out far enough. I like having something sticking out under the spare to protect it from ledges and people behind me not paying attention. I think it might also make a nicer platform to set the spare on when lifting it on and off than what I’m currently using.
Jeep Wrangler JL Hi-Lift Jack Mount Choice Assistance 9691FAF3-6D03-4CC1-B60A-202E958960BA

Sponsored

Zandcwhite

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jlur
Depending on the climate you live in, mounting it on your rig is a really nice way to explore the world of metal oxidization.
While they're nice to have for unique situations (off camber tire change or as a winch in a spot where a winch won't go for example) most people have them for the look. It's your money though. Personally I wouldn't store it on the outside. There are roll bar mounts that are a lot cleaner.
Cleaner…until you use it in a mud hole. At that point I’d likely leave it in the mud before trying to put it back inside my Jeep. We’ve had the same hi lift mounted outside for 15+ years. 1st on the roof of my xj, now on the front bumper of the JL. Some light surface rust, but no issues otherwise. Of course we do live in CA, so take that with a grain of salt (our roads never have any).
Jeep Wrangler JL Hi-Lift Jack Mount Choice Assistance DB0DB34C-CA55-47C3-9186-EA24AEDDB082

The Last Cowboy

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Willys 2 door
Occupation
Wandering Vaquero
I see a lot of these jacks mounted on Jeeps and lesser SUVs around here. Most Jeeps still have the plastic bumpers, so they are nothing more than a visual accessory. I guess they could use it as a come along.

You could use one of these. No permanent mounts or breakover issues. It's also good for other things like fuel or water.

http://www.bugoutrack.com/

JL MADDOG

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL 2.0L Turbo
Occupation
Jeepin'
That is possibly the most ridiculous accessory I have ever seen fitted to a vehicle. To each his own but I would NEVER...
Well, it was the best choice. Would you rather have it inside the cabin and behind your head, just waiting for a heavy impact? I'd rather not decapitate myself. There are no other options on the front or rear of the vehicle to mount it or inside and I want that jack with me.

Don't call other people's choices ridiculous...it makes you come off as an ass.

Sponsored

Ridgway Jeeper

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLR
Occupation
Real Estate Agent
Well, it was the best choice. Would you rather have it inside the cabin and behind your head, just waiting for a heavy impact? I'd rather not decapitate myself. There are no other options on the front or rear of the vehicle to mount it or inside and I want that jack with me.

Don't call other people's choices ridiculous...it makes you come off as an ass.
Well I am an ass, so... The jack is worthless and dangerous to boot. There is no valid reason to haul one of those around other than for faux off roader decoration.

GtX

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.0D
Occupation
Working for the man.
Vehicle Showcase
Well I am an ass, so... The jack is worthless and dangerous to boot. There is no valid reason to haul one of those around other than for faux off roader decoration.
Just because you don't know how to use the tool doesn't make the tool worthless.

Zandcwhite

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jlur
Every tool is dangerous when used incorrectly. From lifting a tire out of a hole to roll a rock under it, to pulling a rig that flopped on its side back onto the tires, to sleeving a bent tie rod with the handle, I've used a hi lift dozens of times off road. Could I have used a different tool in each scenario? Sure. Can I think of a single other tool I could use for all of those scenarios? Nope. Have I ever injured myself or anyone else with a hi lift? Nope. Do I have a hi lift on the front bumper to look cool? Not even a little bit. I'm a function over form guy and I'll er on the side of having more tools than I need than not having what I need every time.

Reactions: GtX

nowandthen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 JKUR, 1989 Toyota standard cab pickup
Good video showing use of a hi-lift jack. It's title is about changing a tire but the video shows pros and cons of the hi-lift.