Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
I'm getting ready for an exploration trip across a lot of desert and want to build a mount for a fullsized shovel and pick mattock and probably the HiLift. I have a RockHard front bumper with a crash/light bar that's not being used. I think I'll fabricate a mount that bolts on there and holds them all right in front. Then I can take it off when it's not needed or put it on when I do a trip (or go to the mall ;) ).
This what I did

2E3B106F-63EF-4A0D-8F92-F67B902061EF.jpeg
Sponsored

bjm00se

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR 6sp ordered 11/3/21, picked up 8/30/22
Comes down to *WHY* do you want a Jack?

High Lift isn't the best tool for changing a tire. Factory scissor jack or bottle jack on a platform is.

Stuck in deep sticky mud? Jack's not much use here. Shovels, recovery boards, long winch lines, tractors, caterpillars....

A light pull in an akward direction your winch won't reach? A come-along is cheaper and ligher than a high-lift.

High centered some chassis part on some rocks and can't get off? Well, a winch'll drag you, but the collateral damage may be more then you really wanted... so this is where the high-lift comes into its own - jack from the sliders, or the wheel itself, and stack some rocks to build a ramp under the lowest unsupported corner, and *then* winch (or just drive!) off.

Bottom line - Hi-Lift is both heavy, and infrequently the tool for the job.

So my advice is make sure you've got everything you need to change a tire, and then make sure that there's one Hi Lift in your group.

Reactions: J0E

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Since the ARB jack came up, it reminds me of that guy in Oregon that does the gun youtubes. He points out that most people that buy super premium (expensive) ammo, don't practice or test it enough to know if it's reliable in their guns. It's too "precious" as he put it.

Who's going to want to push their $900 jack over sideways with their Jeep jacked all the way up? I know I'd have second thoughts about it. It's just too precious. My old HiLift? I'd break it in half if it would get me out of a tight spot. I think I paid $25 for it years ago.

Sponsored

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired Engineer

RZ.

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 3.6 Sport S
Occupation
Blueprints & Tarot

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired Engineer

MtCamper

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jlUR White Rubi, 2018 GMC 3500 Duramax,
Occupation
Retired Snowbird
I carry a jack base that works with both my Hi-Lift and a 4 ton bottle jack. The Hi-Lift lives in a Dominion Offroad bracket along with a full size shovel and a single bit ax. So far I've never needed to demount any of the tools for an off road mishap. Only needed the bottle jack once and that was for another guy. IMHO a Hi-Lift will do more than any other type jack but you probably will never need it if you have it. The Jeep Gods only bite you in the butt if you aren't prepared. The Dominion bracket is top notch for stow it and forget it gear.
Sponsored